Lest we forget

I have no idea how genuine this is, but having recently spoken to a couple of friends in the UK over the phone, neither of whom know each other but both of which are members of Saddleworth Golf club, it is safe to assume that the rumour originates there, so I wonder if you guys could shed any light on it...........

We all know that Scholesy has made no secret of the fact that he wants to end his career at BP. However, the rumour going round the golf club is that that could be sooner rather than later.

Apparently, it is said that he wants two good years at BP, but he also wants to retire at 36.

I was pretty average at maths at school, so forgive me if I stuff this up.

Scholes will be 34 in November and his contract at United doesn't run out until the end of next season, which puts him at 34 2/3. Added to that, United are preparing a one year extension to his existing contract which would leave him at 35 2/3.

If he wants to retire at 36, then neither 36-34 2/3 or 36-35 2/3 equates to two good years at BP.

Either the rumour is completely without substance or the ninja was even worse than me at maths.

Over to the professors..................

PS. If he can state to the world's press that Frankie Frankie is his favourite player, dont bet against him leaving the reds and lining up in our midfield with a Champions League/ Premiership double under his belt

My wife's sister's best friend doesn't know Paul Scholes's wife's dog's hairdresser but I get the feeling that if Manure win the double this year or even just the Champions league then there is a chance that Scholes might ask Alex whether he can leave on a free. I have absolutely no evidence to back this up just pure gut feeling.

Scholes has won the lot at OT and apart from playing in the CL final there isn't anything left for him to achieve, he made his decision about international football some time ago and has apparently turned down approaches from England managers to return so it seems to me that once he gets an idea in to his head he sticks to it. It has been said that Fergie wants to offer him a coaching role at OT which might persuade him to stay there which might scupper things.

Can you imagine though the marketing opportunity it would be if he came? Sales of shirts would go through the roof along with associated Scholes branded tat, plus it would solve the creative midfielder problem!

Can you imagine though the marketing opportunity it would be if he came? Sales of shirts would go through the roof along with associated Scholes branded tat, plus it would solve the creative midfielder problem!

I'm not convinced he's better than what we have. If he's Macca's replacement I'll be livid, just another example of the Porter-scenario...Sheridan gets rid of a quality player and then can't replace them.

If you build it, he will come...

far too many rumours flying about.

he has made no secret about the fact he is a very big family orientated man,and loves nothing better than spending time at home with his wife and kids,hence why he retired from england duties.

it is also no big secret he is an avid latics fan,and until recently sat in the chaddy end with his lad,until he got pestered so much he couldnt enjoy the games in peace.

he is the kind of bloke that once he makes his mind up he sticks to it.

united have made no secret of the fact they want him to sign a 12 month contract,then maybe go into coaching with them.

if united win the greedy league and then the champions league,and he recieves his winners medals it wouldnt suprise me at all if he was to leave and come to bp.

he will achieved everything he wanted at manure,and has nothing left to prove,and most probably wouldnt want to sit warming a bench much next season.

i have met his wife a number of times,and everytime i ask she just laughs nervously,so i never press her on it,at the end of the day she is enjoying down time with her kids.

the one time i didnt go to this event he was there,and i missed the chance to ask,but rest assured if he is ever there again i will ask him out right.

I've stated before where i am with this nonsence...

BUT.....

would merchandising fund his wages??? or make the difference up??

he is certainly a player who could put bums on seats,and bring with it a merchandising oppertunity,but im guessing it would only be small scale,say for instance maybe 1500 extra fans.

My wife's sister's best friend doesn't know Paul Scholes's wife's dog's hairdresser

Lol, my niece actually cuts Scholes hair!

:idea: I'll ask her... to get anyone some of the ginger stuff if they want... :grin:

Perhaps that would solve our problems CLONE HIM!!!!!!!!!! and sell any mutants with dark hair. :idea: PS I take it your niece is a hairdresser and not a stalker? :naughty:

Lol. Good one! Actually good two!!

I've stated before where i am with this nonsence...

BUT.....

would merchandising fund his wages??? or make the difference up??

I think we've established that he wouldn't be signing for us because he needs the money to buy his kids shoes with...

Even if he did come i think he give it up by christmas. A cold wet tuesday night in november at some tatty ground playing someone like Lincoln who just wanna kick u up in the air so they can say they have done it? Retired multimillionaire or punching bag for a jealous has-been or never-was? Sorry to sound such a bummer, i want him to come as much as anyone but i just cant see it working out...... Keep the faith tho eh?!!!!

Yeah just what we need, another ginger midfielder from Oldham who can't tackle.... :wink:

Quite. I can hear the words emanating from the Main Stand towards one of the most successful players in English club history...

"Get off Scholes, you're bloody rubbish!"

:grin:

Quite. I can hear the words emanating from the Main Stand towards one of the most successful players in English club history...

"Get off Scholes, you're bloody rubbish!"

:grin:

Not to mention 'big time charlie', 'thinks he's better than he is', 'stop p*ssing about and just pass it you're not at man u now' etc etc etc