Good Feeling about next Season

At the end of a season i never normally think that we will def be challenging at the top the following season. i don't like counting my chickens.

However, at the moment i do feel like this. Thats even before we have made any signings. I just feel really positive. I think that we will strengthen the team (not just the squad) and get the consistancy that we have been lacking.

Anyone else feel like this?

Anyone else feel like this?

Would love to think so - though think the truth is that anything can happen in League 1 for any team.

That gives us an equal shot though - so f*** yeah, promotion it is!!

I am very impressed by the new fitness regime Shez is talking about under the new Physio, as stated in last night's rarely wrong Chron:

“We’re going to start doing things differently training-wise and have a look at the lads during their summer break.

“They deserve to spend time with their families and it’s important to think about something other than football, but I want to keep on top of them.

“We are looking at all sorts of things, and in pre-season we’ll think about how to prepare for games and how we recuperate.

“It’s little things, but football is changing and we don’t want to get left behind if there’s an extra five or 10 per cent we can add to our game.

“When you have so many injuries it makes you wonder – after a game, should we train on the Monday or just take it easy, maybe with an ice bath?

“We’ve got our ideas on how to move forward because we need to improve if we are going to win promotion.

“Next season will be my third as manager and I’m not naive, I know we need to achieve something for the fans and the club.

“The young lads have come on leaps and bounds this year and eighth place was very good, but next time I need to be in the top six at least.”

Shez was bringing the players in for training and assessment by the Physio yesterday and today, and they'll be expected to adhere to fitness programmes throughout the summer - he's starting as he means to go on.

I am very optimistic that this new attitude might make all the difference next season. Onwards and upwards! :comeon:

I am very impressed by the new fitness regime Shez is talking about under the new Physio, as stated in last night's rarely wrong Chron:

“We’re going to start doing things differently training-wise and have a look at the lads during their summer break.

“They deserve to spend time with their families and it’s important to think about something other than football, but I want to keep on top of them.

“We are looking at all sorts of things, and in pre-season we’ll think about how to prepare for games and how we recuperate.

“It’s little things, but football is changing and we don’t want to get left behind if there’s an extra five or 10 per cent we can add to our game.

“When you have so many injuries it makes you wonder – after a game, should we train on the Monday or just take it easy, maybe with an ice bath?

“We’ve got our ideas on how to move forward because we need to improve if we are going to win promotion.

“Next season will be my third as manager and I’m not naive, I know we need to achieve something for the fans and the club.

“The young lads have come on leaps and bounds this year and eighth place was very good, but next time I need to be in the top six at least.”

Shez was bringing the players in for training and assessment by the Physio yesterday and today, and they'll be expected to adhere to fitness programmes throughout the summer - he's starting as he means to go on.

I am very optimistic that this new attitude might make all the difference next season. Onwards and upwards! :comeon:

lets hope so,it doesnt help not having a proper physio at the club for so long,but the amount of injuries last season really was intolerable,and does ask the question is the training right.....hopefully with the new guys here and taking a more proactive appraoch to not just training,but downtime and so on things can only improve,you will always get your run of the mill injuries throughout a season,but if we can keep the squad fit and active we should be better for it.....cant see greegan liking being told what to eat n do on his holidays though,hehhahah

After my rantings about the club not being pro-active enough , I've had time to reflect. To finish 8th was some achievement given our horrific injury pile up this year. OK we could've gone for it a bit more in January and on deadline day BUT the kids have benefitted from an extended run. The club is moving forward off the pitch and although I've vociferosly argued that we have stagnated in comparison to last season, I'm willng to admit that three top ten finishes in three years is progress. We're starting to get the sort of momentum we had under Royle in the two or three years before we won the league. We'll be in a much better situation than last year come August providing Shez learns from his mistakes and doesn't leave himself with an unbalanced squad. I'm very optimistic for next season, but anything other than a play off berth will be failure.

cant see greegan liking being told what to eat n do on his holidays though,hehhahah

:lol:

To be fair to him though, I was bricking it of him coming back from his last holidays the size of a house but he looked to have shed at least a stone (which he certainly needed to from the size he was when he joined us!). We all have the odd pint too many and a late night takeaway, but I think he's actually very professional about his fitness, after all, he didn't look to be any bigger despite having been out injured for a few months.

....cant see greegan liking being told what to eat n do on his holidays though,hehhahah

I would think that Gregan would be the first in the queue to get this advice and stick to it to the letter. The man isn't a spring chicken, isn't getting any younger and if he wants to keep earning the kind of money that he is on as a footballer then he had better watch what he eats, trains as much as he can and get in to the best shape of his life.

I would love to see David Eyres brought in on a consultant basis to let the players on the wrong side of 30 know how he was playing into his 40s.

I would love to see David Eyres brought in on a consultant basis to let the players on the wrong side of 30 know how he was playing into his 40s.

I would think his main advice wouldn't be much use ... don't turn pro til you're 26.

True but if he could squeeze any more mileage out of Hughes, Liddell, Gregan and Allott who will all be the wrong side of 30 next season or even increase their conditioning so that they don't get as few injuries as Eyres did it would be more than worthwhile.

I would think that Gregan would be the first in the queue to get this advice and stick to it to the letter. The man isn't a spring chicken, isn't getting any younger and if he wants to keep earning the kind of money that he is on as a footballer then he had better watch what he eats, trains as much as he can and get in to the best shape of his life.

John Harbin

With the way we finished, especially with our home form and style of play, I was always confident. Just the added bit of quality here and there and I really think we'll go up. We have to aim for the to 2, IMO, which means Leeds have to go up this season.

It'll be a tricky little league next year; Gillingham and Vale were 2 very poor teams, and replacing them in Peterbrough and MK Dons, 2 sides lead by 2 decent managers, and they've got money. Forest have gone and Swansea have gone, but I think the 3 that have come down will be tough. Then again, we love the tough games.

Keep positive.

"Good Feeling about next Season"

How many times have us Oldham fans said that!?

No I think with the money from this season and what not, we MIGHT have a chance. Really the key player we need is a 'finisher'.

erm Lee Hughes is about as good a finisher we are ever likely to tempt to boundary part whilist still in league 1.

I too think we have a good chance of success this coming year. with what you could call the best front line in the league, and a very sturdy defence, a respectable centre of the park all we need imo is a left back (Lomax is good but i always prefer left peggers on the left), left winger and taylor on the right. the rest is padding. fully fit, we have a very, very strong looking team. its what is backing it up that usually causes the problems, but the kids, for their age are very experienced.

In all honesty i would be happy getting in a mcdonald, a stam, a howarth, a warne or players of that quality to play back up, we dont need world beaters on stupid wages in this summer, as long as we can keep the main bulk of this years team together.

You know me - happy clappy leezy - yes I am optimistic - so long as we get the owder geezers fit for most of the season and couple of additions and with the yoof players now with first team experience fink we have the nucleus of a great squad and as long as we don't have a p00 time at BP - we can really push on next seas - looking forward to a better atmos in the Rocky Road end too!!!