Rochdale Poll!

Rochdale Lovers  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you stand on the big Rochdale lovefest rearing its ugly head!?!

• Im Oldham thru & thru and because of the local rivalry i hope they dont get promoted! C'Mon County
    • I support both Oldham & Rochdale and will follow who is doing the best... so c'mon Rochdale
    • I genuinley do want them to come up for the derby and not because i secretly support them!
    • Couldnt care both local whoever does it does it and it wont bother me one ounce
    • I am from Rochdale chose to support Oldham at a young age due to the glory, now Rochdale have a chance of being promoted im thinking of switching my allegiance back to the team i really love!
    • I want Stockport to win because i actually like them!

I've always had a soft spot for them - most years I wouldnt be able to tell you any of their players names but I always look out for their result. I would LOVE IT (keegan stylee) if they got promoted because I think it would be great to do battle with them next season. Do 'em home and away, have a proper derby.

If we ever played them I would never have picked up the soft spot for them, I'd hate them - they're our natural rivals after all but the fact is I had not yet turned 3 the last time we played them in a competitive match and now I'm nearly 37! It's too late now though, it'd take something spectacular to happen for me to lose my affection for them.

I know most of them dont like us but hey, that's life.

UP THE DALE!

I've always had a soft spot for them - most years I wouldnt be able to tell you any of their players names but I always look out for their result. I would LOVE IT (keegan stylee) if they got promoted because I think it would be great to do battle with them next season. Do 'em home and away, have a proper derby.

If we ever played them I would never have picked up the soft spot for them, I'd hate them - they're our natural rivals after all but the fact is I had not yet turned 3 the last time we played them in a competitive match and now I'm nearly 37! It's too late now though, it'd take something spectacular to happen for me to lose my affection for them.

I know most of them dont like us but hey, that's life.

UP THE DALE!

The one reason i wouldnt want dale to come up is because (sad fact but true) it would have a direct impact on our attendance, and if they come up and we play them theyre not exactly going to bring as many fans as say Huddersfield would! Can you imagine if say we were at home to Cheltenham, and say Leeds stay down and are at Rochdale a lot of our so called fans would be at spotland because they have a soft spot for them! Our catchment area is full enough of local team without some of our Loyal fans from Rochdale now jumping ship! The amount of people on here and around town who are latics fans (alledgedly) and are planning a Wembley trip to see Dale or went to see them in the semis is disgusting, its ok wanting a team to come up for the BIG derby but bloody buying tickets to see them at wembley - if you really wanna see wembley there are some international friendlys in the not so distant future! I believe if Dale did come up alot of peoples so called allegiances will change they will be at latics one week as if theyre number one fan and at dale the week after acting the same there!! Man Ure are our close rivals as are City, Bolton, Blackburn, stockport etc etc etc if any of them get to wembley or moscow i dont see people openly planning their trips!! Think the mods of this site should set up a new message forum for all chat Rochdale coz theyres a lot of it for some people who say they only want them to do well for a local rivalry!! Stockport are not to far either who went to their semis or is planning to go to wembley for them... point is split loyalties.. :rant.sml:

The one reason i wouldnt want dale to come up is because (sad fact but true) it would have a direct impact on our attendance, and if they come up and we play them theyre not exactly going to bring as many fans as say Huddersfield would! Can you imagine if say we were at home to Cheltenham, and say Leeds stay down and are at Rochdale a lot of our so called fans would be at spotland because they have a soft spot for them! Our catchment area is full enough of local team without some of our Loyal fans from Rochdale now jumping ship! The amount of people on here and around town who are latics fans (alledgedly) and are planning a Wembley trip to see Dale or went to see them in the semis is disgusting, its ok wanting a team to come up for the BIG derby but bloody buying tickets to see them at wembley - if you really wanna see wembley there are some international friendlys in the not so distant future! I believe if Dale did come up alot of peoples so called allegiances will change they will be at latics one week as if theyre number one fan and at dale the week after acting the same there!! Man Ure are our close rivals as are City, Bolton, Blackburn, stockport etc etc etc if any of them get to wembley or moscow i dont see people openly planning their trips!! Think the mods of this site should set up a new message forum for all chat Rochdale coz theyres a lot of it for some people who say they only want them to do well for a local rivalry!! Stockport are not to far either who went to their semis or is planning to go to wembley for them... point is split loyalties.. :rant.sml:

in my defence - door to door by public transport is about 50 minutes from my house to Wembley. This will be my 9th game at the new one, I would have probably gone anyway. I wouldnt dream of going down from Oldham to London to watch Rochdale. I also - and I suspect the vast majority of others - would never ever chose a Rochdale game over an Oldham one. As for the away following bit - away fans are only going to have a small section next season so I should think Dale will bring as many as Huddersfield, maybe more - dont forget HTFC's away following is laughable compared to the size of their home attendance.

As for Stockport being a local rivalry - it's never had that feeling to me. They'll struggle to bring 500, to the average County fan their world finishes in Manchester City centre - they probably dont even know where Oldham is!

I dont think anyone on here has split loyalties. Are you a rugby fan by the way? Wondering why you feel so energised by Rochdale love - you dont hop over all those on here who have come out with far far more dubious stuff - there are Utd and City apologists on here for Christs sake!

in my defence - door to door by public transport is about 50 minutes from my house to Wembley. This will be my 9th game at the new one, I would have probably gone anyway. I wouldnt dream of going down from Oldham to London to watch Rochdale. I also - and I suspect the vast majority of others - would never ever chose a Rochdale game over an Oldham one. As for the away following bit - away fans are only going to have a small section next season so I should think Dale will bring as many as Huddersfield, maybe more - dont forget HTFC's away following is laughable compared to the size of their home attendance.

As for Stockport being a local rivalry - it's never had that feeling to me. They'll struggle to bring 500, to the average County fan their world finishes in Manchester City centre - they probably dont even know where Oldham is!

I dont think anyone on here has split loyalties. Are you a rugby fan by the way? Wondering why you feel so energised by Rochdale love - you dont hop over all those on here who have come out with far far more dubious stuff - there are Utd and City apologists on here for Christs sake!

If you live close by fairy mcduff... but i DO believe there are people on here with split loyalties and i do believe it will have a direct impact on our attendance if they come up and we fail to fire on all cylinders!

If you live close by fairy mcduff... but i DO believe there are people on here with split loyalties and i do believe it will have a direct impact on our attendance if they come up and we fail to fire on all cylinders!

I'd be surprised if it did, maybe I'm wrong but I honestly dont think there is a section of our support ready to jump ship north of the border. Anyway, dont worry - if they do come up, we'll batter them home and away, you'll have a fantastic away day to remember, we'll get promoted, they'll get relegated and everything will be gravy.

You need a chill pill mate. Aside from anything else, isn’t there a fair chance the schedules will be alternated? In any case what you are talking about is probably already happening, a Latics fan who never goes to Dale is hardly likely to start just because they are in the third division, it’s not like Barcalona suddenly appearing on your doorstep offering £5 tickets and a free pie.

You need a chill pill mate. Aside from anything else, isn’t there a fair chance the schedules will be alternated? In any case what you are talking about is probably already happening, a Latics fan who never goes to Dale is hardly likely to start just because they are in the third division, it’s not like Barcalona suddenly appearing on your doorstep offering £5 tickets and a free pie.

Yeah there is a fair chance it will be alternated still will effect attendances, how many people have you heard just off here who are latics fans who went to the 2nd leg of their semis! Lets just see what happens to the attendances if they were to come up and they had a big game against say leeds, donny etc and us at home to Cheltenham and see the comparisons of previous seasons... i tell ye there will be a drop!

Edited by Davros

Yeah there is a fair chance it will be alternated still will effect attendances, how many people have you heard just off here who are latics fans who went to the 2nd leg of their semis! Lets just see what happens to the attendances if they were to come up and they had a big game against say us at home to Cheltenham and see the comparisons of previous seasons... i tell ye there will be a drop!

I dont believe it. Here we are on the doorsteps of the two Manc clubs who, put together, draw over 110K people and you're worrying about Rochdale. I've got a young nephew who likes Rochdale and gets taken by his dad but I know that he'd still probably go and watch Latics reserves (we messed his mind up pretty well) given a choice.

I dont believe it. Here we are on the doorsteps of the two Manc clubs who, put together, draw over 110K people and you're worrying about Rochdale. I've got a young nephew who likes Rochdale and gets taken by his dad but I know that he'd still probably go and watch Latics reserves (we messed his mind up pretty well) given a choice.

I dont feel threatend by them whatsoever im just wondering were some peoples loyalties lie!! Plain and simply... there is too much lovingness of Rochdale goin on at the moment... you have sidetracked me and drawn me into a big debate and my head is starting to hurt!!!!

I dont feel threatend by them whatsoever im just wondering were some peoples loyalties lie!! Plain and simply... there is too much lovingness of Rochdale goin on at the moment... you have sidetracked me and drawn me into a big debate and my head is starting to hurt!!!!

I think for most its just a fondness for a small local club who have always been crap. Maybe we'll all change our mind once they mount their assault on the Premier League but for the time being its harmless. Plus I'll bet most wont be gutted if they lose on Monday. I'd just shrug my shoulders - c'est la vie. The true Dale fans will no doubt be weeping. That's the benefit of jumping on a bandwagon, you can jump off again when you see fit!

I think for most its just a fondness for a small local club who have always been crap. Maybe we'll all change our mind once they mount their assault on the Premier League but for the time being its harmless. Plus I'll bet most wont be gutted if they lose on Monday. I'd just shrug my shoulders - c'est la vie. The true Dale fans will no doubt be weeping. That's the benefit of jumping on a bandwagon, you can jump off again when you see fit!

Its all pointless really coz i cant see them beating stockport!! so that ends that really! Id rather see there shed once a year in the fruit bowl...

There are some who like watching some or all local clubs. Theres no problem with that most people who are going rather because a friend/s and/or family and/or they are from Rochdale originally or have moved there. This will not affect our attendances that much by the way I think we should reduce our ticket prices.

What's all this talk of jumping ship and glory hunting. I've been going years.

I've picked and choosed between the two since 1989. Yes, I started going Latics in the glory days but my dad and been going a few years before that taking my brother and had by then become hooked. I was only 4 at the time so got rather lucky he took me when in the Royle era. On the flip side I was taken with my uncle around the same age who wanted to get me hooked on Dale, which is fair enough given he didnt have a son of his own at the time. I was taken at a time when they were rubbish - I cant even recall many games up (Liverpool 7-0 drubbing is the only one that instantly springs to mind) until the late 90's which tells you just how bad it was in comparison to Latics who I can remember fondly, including trips to Wembley. I have absolutely no affiliation to the town of Oldham whatsoever. My dad only moved there about 4 years ago but apart from that and going College there when I turned 16. Oldham meant absolutely nothing to me - it was just that place my dad used to take me a fair bit. In the late 90's my dad stopped going Latics regularly due to work and the fact he helped run a football side on saturday afternoons. My brother lost interest and as such I didnt get to go as often as i'd of liked (The only Oldham fans I knew at the time where a few lads I went school with. 2 had emigrated during school and the other never went.) - infact it was mainly reserved for the local games that I actually went. During that time, at school we received free tickets for dale. Big group of about 30 of us, alot of whom still go now despite supporting other clubs (United, City, Chelsea, even a lad who openly admitted he hated football at the time still turns up now) - I loved it. Dale at the time hit their peak and narrowly missed out on the playoffs by a point one year (Drew 0-0 away at Plymouth which I went - Latics lost 5-0 at Millwall that day who won the league) and finally made them the next, playing some cracking football. Losing only to Talbot's Rushden in the semi's. Something dragged me back to Latics though after I finished school and I started going again all the time - the fixtures were fairly kind to me which allowed me to carry on going dale. Started going away games regularly and have never looked back. Even did more than my bit in troubled times and would gladly do it again in that situation.

Dont really have the time to name how many grounds i've been with Latics. I'm guessing it's in the 60's. With dale - i've probably been about 20 different grounds, including the likes of Halifax, York and other sh*t-tips.

There's alot of aspects which appeal to me about Latics. There's an entirely different bunch of aspects that attract me to the dale. Lack of moaners (which has been noted by EVERY Latics fan who's come with me to a dale game this season), no unnecessary pressure put on the team or players. A cracking little bar underneath the home end. There's an atmosphere at home games. Pie and Pea's. Friendly welcoming fans. The respect opposition fans have for those who actually turn up to Spotland. Take the playoffs for example. Dale had just went and won. Some even took time to pat the darlo players on the back and wish them luck next season, the rest of the fans were applauded by Darlo who into turn applauded them. Could you imagine that happening at Latics? Not a chance. Our fans couldnt even stop themselves from goading the mighty Cheltenham by all reports.

Whether people like it or not. I really couldnt care less. My home town team are in the biggest game in my living history and i'll be damned if I dont shout it from the rooftops just how happy I am. For the first time in my life i'm actually proud to say where I come from. I've watched some of the worst games imaginable. Games which made last season's piss poor performances seem Brazil-esque. Seen players who make the Phil Salt's and Mark Hotte's of this world seem worldbeaters in comparison. For the last 3 weeks my football season has carried on and I love it. I've been counting down to each of the playoff game and had an amazing trip to Darlo.

As for the Cheltenham and Leeds scenario. Already happened this season when Cheltenham came - owtb's had just played Bury in the morning so a few of us stopped over to watch the bury v dale game. You're sadly mistaken if you think there's people who dont go and watch other teams when Latics are away. Some people simply love live football and travelling to alot of away games comes - I know of people who've gone and watched Arsenal at Wigan this season, Stockport numerous times, City, United and most of them post on this forum. Who really cares in all honesty, so long as when matchday comes and you're at a Latics game that you're supporting the club. With regards to the drop in attendances if dale came up - so it'd all be dales fault?? what about when we had 3,500 home fans on tuesday night games? was that dale's fault. Latics attendances will be affected by Latics only. Not Dale or any other club.

With regards to bringing the amount Huddersfield do. Huddersfield only bring 1,500 year on year in the league. Dale would bring a bit more than that i'm afraid. Similar to Latics, they have one of, if not the best away to home fan ratio on their travels. If they went up this season that'd only improve given they wouldnt be visiting the same grounds yet again.

Internationals at wembley. I wouldnt waste my money on the overpaid primmadonna's. I dislike the premier league and everything it stands for. Not to mention friendlies bore me to tears.

As for if dale came up where would I go. Latics. Though it all depends if I feel if i'm getting value for money at home games, Which unlike away games - we certainly didnt get last season.

In actual fact. If it wasnt for my dad. I wouldnt even be an Oldham fan. In my eyes they'd of just been another club up the road. Though I suppose you'd of preffered it if like the other 15,000 who dissapeared after the glory days - I'd done the same. I really dont see why I feel the need to have to defend myself, but I will. Most on here know how big of an Oldham fan I am. Though I suppose i'm not as big an Oldham fan as the rest due to liking another club, ey. :lol:

As a footnote. I dont begrudge Latics fans going wembley. If they want to watch a game of football then that's there perogative. I really couldnt care less what people do with their time or how they choose to spend their money. There's some of the most loyal fans we have who've travelled all over the country in recent years watching Latics who have soft spots for various clubs. Are you really that griped about it? I really fail to see why some fans seem to want us to dislike everything about any other team besides Latics. We're not Millwall.

Love the poll. Especially the last one. I've gone for the 2nd option though.

I support Oldham. Follow Dale (with a passion).

P.S - Believe it or not. There's one or two I know of on here who go and watch stockport alot when Latics are away. I've never seen Stockport as a rival to Latics. Just a good away day and a club who's brought a laughable following to us year on year. Dont mind them. Same goes for Bolton and Blackburn whereas alot of Oldham hate them. Each to their own. I only hate City, United and with my rochdale hat on Bury.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

What's all this talk of jumping ship and glory hunting. I've been going years.

P.S - Believe it or not. There's one or two I know of on here who go and watch stockport alot when Latics are away.

Very well put Rocky. But Jacko is still ready with the gaffer tape :wink:

P.S - Believe it or not. There's one or two I know of on here who go and watch stockport alot when Latics are away. I've never seen Stockport as a rival to Latics. Just a good away day and a club who's brought a laughable following to us year on year. Dont mind them.

I plead guilty, a couple of my closest friends follow County, I live in Glossop, and have supported Latics all my life due to family connections, but had my Dad not been interested I could of easily of been a County fan, when I was in year 8 Stockport gave free tickets out to our school and thats how my mates got into it along with a few other people from the town, I wish Latics had the same idea and branched out of Oldham a bit. I ask any Latics fan if they grew up in a town not too far away from Oldham say Blackburn and all your mates supported them and you were offered a ticket and Latics were away at Southend playing in mid-table and you were hard up with cash at the time what game would you attend?

PS I think I want Rochdale to win on Monday because it's a new team to play, although it's win, win situation for me

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I plead guilty, a couple of my closest friends follow County, I live in Glossop, and have supported Latics all my life due to family connections, but had my Dad not been interested I could of easily of been a County fan, when I was in year 8 Stockport gave free tickets out to our school and thats how my mates got into it along with a few other people from the town, I wish Latics had the same idea and branched out of Oldham a bit. I ask any Latics fan if they grew up in a town not too far away from Oldham say Blackburn and all your mates supported them and you were offered a ticket and Latics were away at Southend playing in mid-table and you were hard up with cash at the time what game would you attend?

PS I think I want Rochdale to win on Monday because it's a new team to play, although it's win, win situation for me

I was thinking more of Scott than yourself, given what he was saying months ago.

Pfft. I blame the parents. How dare they take people to Latics as a nipper. :lol::lol: Like you say though Tommy. It's win win for me as well. Dale have overachieved this season - most are just happy with the day out and enough money made to keep the same side and build on it. I like Stockport away so its not the biggest dissapointment in the world. Wycombe would have been a different story.

Does seem to be a reoccuring theme with the free tickets. Make's you wonder how many fans of other teams come Latics because they got them as a youngster.