marketing &billboards ?

i see quite offten people on here askin why the club dont use bill boards etc to advertise games only to be told that we would need to get planing permission ( and we know what the local councill are like on that score )so they wouldnt be financialy viable .

so what is the solution well a may have a suggestion the otherday whilst driving dowm the A627m i noticed a large advertisement board on the bridge leading to race field hamlet this appers to have been one of those sandwich boards on a trailer .is this a solutuon hire or buy a one of these and the week before a game park this trailer at a different location around the area each day ( no expensive planning permission ) plus if its in a different location more people will potentialy see it its a cheap marketing ploy worth looking at atleast ???

i see quite offten people on here askin why the club dont use bill boards etc to advertise games only to be told that we would need to get planing permission ( and we know what the local councill are like on that score )so they wouldnt be financialy viable .

so what is the solution well a may have a suggestion the otherday whilst driving dowm the A627m i noticed a large advertisement board on the bridge leading to race field hamlet this appers to have been one of those sandwich boards on a trailer .is this a solutuon hire or buy a one of these and the week before a game park this trailer at a different location around the area each day ( no expensive planning permission ) plus if its in a different location more people will potentialy see it its a cheap marketing ploy worth looking at atleast ???

Good idea. I'm sure it will be considered by OAFC and I'll make sure they are aware.

We need to buy/rent the one on the side of the shop on rocky road at the top of sheepfoot lane

The Club are already making enquiries here following the "ideas" thread the other day. Hopefully, something will be possible.

i see quite offten people on here askin why the club dont use bill boards etc to advertise games only to be told that we would need to get planing permission

Planning permission for billboards? As in the things on the side of the newsagents at sheepfoot lane?

Clearly you aren't Keith. Si is Sheridans_World. :wink:

I'm the one you used to go to school with many moons ago. :grin:

hahaha,you couldnt write this stuff could you,lol

on the idea thread i posted a link to a company that does the huge posters that go on the hoardings......

the club doesnt need to pay or get permission to erect such hoardings..there are plaenty already around the town and other local areas and borders....the club needs to get in touch with the company and have posters put up strategically around the town.

right at the bottom of broadway there are about 3 of these hoardings,putting something on one of them there would be seen by a lot of people going to and from manchester everyday,the same also with the chadderton middleton border at vita foam bridge.

there are also big hoardings near where the roxy used to be,so the exposure there from the m60 would also be good.

a lot of people may very well sneer and snipe at them,but at least the club would be putting itself in the publics eye.

they could also do a poster campaign on the buses based in oldham depot,and also the trains.....

you could also go as far as asking mcdonalds to get involved in someway and insted of giving away toys in happy meals,give away an oldham or chaddy owl,obviously only in the chains in oldham......

the possibilities are endless if you really put your mind to it,like after the six weeks holiday do a latics back to school pack,which would inclube pens,pencils rulers and rubbers all with the clubs crest and logo on it........

As regards McDonalds Ed, they are duty bound to use toys supplied direct from the central warehousing depots. McDonalds have a contract with disney, and various other Organisations, in which it states all stores must participate if owned by the company. franchise outlets are open to act as they see fit, but all branches in oldham are owned by mcdonalds, and as such, governed by the contract. know this cos i used to work at elk mill as a manager in my student days.

As regards planning permission, every advert placed on such boards as that seen at the top of sheepfoot lane has to gain what is called a "decent exposure certificate", or be produced by a company holding a "certified publishing outlet" licence. Latics currently do not hold this licence, and to pass certain adverts through the decent exposure system takes time, and money, and each advert has to be processed individually, meaning you couldnt one week, adveretise oldham v mk dons, then the following week advertise oldham versus stockport. not under the same certificate anyway. I was told this information by the brother in law who, before moving to aus, worked in the planning department at rochdale council. These certificates are effectionatly known as planning permission. so although they are not quite covered by planning permission as we know it, it aint far off.

hahaha,you couldnt write this stuff could you,lol

on the idea thread i posted a link to a company that does the huge posters that go on the hoardings......

the club doesnt need to pay or get permission to erect such hoardings..there are plaenty already around the town and other local areas and borders....the club needs to get in touch with the company and have posters put up strategically around the town.

right at the bottom of broadway there are about 3 of these hoardings,putting something on one of them there would be seen by a lot of people going to and from manchester everyday,the same also with the chadderton middleton border at vita foam bridge.

there are also big hoardings near where the roxy used to be,so the exposure there from the m60 would also be good.

a lot of people may very well sneer and snipe at them,but at least the club would be putting itself in the publics eye.

they could also do a poster campaign on the buses based in oldham depot,and also the trains.....

you could also go as far as asking mcdonalds to get involved in someway and insted of giving away toys in happy meals,give away an oldham or chaddy owl,obviously only in the chains in oldham......

the possibilities are endless if you really put your mind to it,like after the six weeks holiday do a latics back to school pack,which would inclube pens,pencils rulers and rubbers all with the clubs crest and logo on it........

Ed

Good suggestions, but any poster campaign you propose will not be cheap. The far cheaper option is to have our own hoardings, so it does not cost us much in the future.

Ed

Good suggestions, but any poster campaign you propose will not be cheap. The far cheaper option is to have our own hoardings, so it does not cost us much in the future.

have you any idea how much a hoarding costs......as opposed to just the posters on them?????

to have a hoarding built and erected your looking at a very good few grand.....where as the actual posters would be nowhere near that much....

cheers phil,knew there would be something stopping it,lol

but out of curiosity,if a building already had a hoarding on it,and the relevent licences in place,wouldnt it be easier to have a poster made and put on it??

at a pinch the club could have those plastic sheeting advertising banners made and strategically placed around the main rounabouts off the a627m,and chadderton way.

just think the club are missing out on very vital exposure and publicity,then bang on about the apathetic oldham public not wanting a club and so on,but doing nothing to enhance its own presence.......who ever is in charge of marketing hasnt got a clue.........i could do a better job meself......(note to club currently unemployed...)lol

have you any idea how much a hoarding costs......as opposed to just the posters on them?????

to have a hoarding built and erected your looking at a very good few grand.....where as the actual posters would be nowhere near that much....

cheers phil,knew there would be something stopping it,lol

but out of curiosity,if a building already had a hoarding on it,and the relevent licences in place,wouldnt it be easier to have a poster made and put on it??

at a pinch the club could have those plastic sheeting advertising banners made and strategically placed around the main rounabouts off the a627m,and chadderton way.

just think the club are missing out on very vital exposure and publicity,then bang on about the apathetic oldham public not wanting a club and so on,but doing nothing to enhance its own presence.......who ever is in charge of marketing hasnt got a clue.........i could do a better job meself......(note to club currently unemployed...)lol

Ed

Agree with your sentiment.

A large billboard advert would cost in the region of £300 per day, a bit less if you negotiated a long term deal obviosuly, but that is a lot of money. You do pay for ther espective amount of exposure

A few thousand building your own is a better option.

Maybe there are people that want scrub land covered or something like that. WHere we would not pay commercial rates.

This could be the germ of a good idea you have. Surely amongs the fans there are the skills to erect a hoarding billboard, and get a good deal. You guys know Oldham beter than me, far too long away, but there has got to be some sites suitable, the skills to b

Ed

Agree with your sentiment.

A large billboard advert would cost in the region of £300 per day, a bit less if you negotiated a long term deal obviosuly, but that is a lot of money. You do pay for ther espective amount of exposure

A few thousand building your own is a better option.

Maybe there are people that want scrub land covered or something like that. WHere we would not pay commercial rates.

This could be the germ of a good idea you have. Surely amongs the fans there are the skills to erect a hoarding billboard, and get a good deal. You guys know Oldham beter than me, far too long away, but there has got to be some sites suitable, the skills to b

Over £100k a year for a trailer jobby? Nah, not having that. Maybe a large billboard within a mainline rail station might get near that level, but nothing in Oldham will.

One on the side of 1139 Rochdale Rd, Blackley earns £600 per annum, another on a pub on Wavertree Rd, Edgehill, Liverpool gets £7k per annum, one in Stoke gets £900 pa, and one at 973 Stockport Rd M19 gets £2.5k pa.

You could be looking at an average of £1-1.5k per site depending on the size, although one option is to buy the property they are on and then rent it out.

Over £100k a year for a trailer jobby? Nah, not having that. Maybe a large billboard within a mainline rail station might get near that level, but nothing in Oldham will.

One on the side of 1139 Rochdale Rd, Blackley earns £600 per annum, another on a pub on Wavertree Rd, Edgehill, Liverpool gets £7k per annum, one in Stoke gets £900 pa, and one at 973 Stockport Rd M19 gets £2.5k pa.

You could be looking at an average of £1-1.5k per site depending on the size, although one option is to buy the property they are on and then rent it out.

Crossed wires I think real.

I was more or less infering at a premium site, as ed did indicate renting the space of a company. That may be that sort of level, and ed was inplying it was very cheap. His Trailer idea would be much cheaper pobviously, and I think we agree that sort of thing would be good. As would a "virgin" site off a private landlord is still the best idea I think.

Although I think it is more about profile that definite cinreases in season ticket.

As regards planning permission, every advert placed on such boards as that seen at the top of sheepfoot lane has to gain what is called a "decent exposure certificate", or be produced by a company holding a "certified publishing outlet" licence. Latics currently do not hold this licence, and to pass certain adverts through the decent exposure system takes time, and money, and each advert has to be processed individually, meaning you couldnt one week, adveretise oldham v mk dons, then the following week advertise oldham versus stockport. not under the same certificate anyway.

Have to say that the part about holding a license doesn't ring home with me. We have designed (inhouse) hundreds of billboard and Phonebooth ads owned by ClearChannel (one of the 5 biggest Billboard companies in UK) and never have we heard of such a license. We also haven't had to declare what we were advertising or the message it portrayed. The money involved you are correct on though, it's far too expensive to change the advert on weekly cycles - the production cost for a single advert is in the region of 1000 and then around 700 per additional billboard.

Also you are in competition for each billboard as big companies like vodaphone change the billboards they use to hit a wider audience. I don't think it would work. I think a helicopter with a banner circling Oldham all day and night with 2 stops for fuel would be more interesting. It could even carry news bulletins.

it's far too expensive to change the advert on weekly cycles - the production cost for a single advert is in the region of 1000 and then around 700 per additional billboard.

Could stick a months worth of home games on one board and then do a deal with the company with regards to sponsorship. Stick their name on the away shorts or something.

Have to say that the part about holding a license doesn't ring home with me. We have designed (inhouse) hundreds of billboard and Phonebooth ads owned by ClearChannel (one of the 5 biggest Billboard companies in UK) and never have we heard of such a license. We also haven't had to declare what we were advertising or the message it portrayed. The money involved you are correct on though, it's far too expensive to change the advert on weekly cycles - the production cost for a single advert is in the region of 1000 and then around 700 per additional billboard.

Also you are in competition for each billboard as big companies like vodaphone change the billboards they use to hit a wider audience. I don't think it would work. I think a helicopter with a banner circling Oldham all day and night with 2 stops for fuel would be more interesting. It could even carry news bulletins.

I dont honestly know if its true or not, just what i got told off someone who used to work in planning, so obviously has more knowledge on these things than me

well im glad to see ive stimulated some debate and ideas with this post hope fully these can be passed on to the club and put to use ?

oh and on the subject of billboards i can remmeber latics havin one on the end of a house at waterhead used too see it from the 183 coming in from saddleworth seem to remmeber they put a big sell on kevin keegan coming to play with newcastle realy stuck in my head that one the power of advertising eh !

Edited by peanuts

I still cant understand why the Players dont do more promotions like other sports players do !

Are we paying them just to train and play ?

Why doesnt the club sponsor a roundabout like Greenbooths do at the elk mill roundabout. I dont know who Greenbooth are but I know of them now because of that advertisment

well im glad to see ive stimulated some debate and ideas with this post hope fully these can be passed on to the club and put to use ?

Dont worry Keith, we are currently in discussions with the club on the matter of advertising, and promotion of the club. It was all started after the Let's get fans back thread, and as we know more, we will let you know.