M.E.N Today

M.E.N Today have a feature on Player of the year from all north west teams and below is their take on latics.....

Headline... ALLOT of joy, a lot of frustration...

STAR MAN: Mark Allott 9

Crossley - 7

Eardley - 7

Hazell - 7

Stam - 7

Lomax - 7

McDonald - 6

Jarrett - 6

Livermore - 6

Taylor - 8

Hughes - 7

Davies - 8

Smalley - 8

Alessandra - 8

Wolfenden - 7

Greegan - 6

All ratings come with a little assesment - davies is the best "is he the most frustrating latics player ever? top scorer with 15 but if he stayed in the box more would of bagged 20 +"

IMO these ratings are rather generous to Smalley, Aleassandra, Taylor and Stam. Gary McD tho thought his was a bit harsh at least deserved a 7!

What does everyone else think!?!

Edited by Davros

Gregan was one of our worst players?

It does say had problems with injuries and his influenced was missed i think the 6 comes from the fact he didnt play a major part....

As for Thompson he didnt even feature nor did Kalala...KK to name but a few as to why i dont know!?!

My ratings:-

Mark Allott 8.5 Poor start but came good and was very consistent

Crossley - 6 Not mobile enough but excellent shot stopper. Played with injuries when possibly he shouldn't.

Eardley - 6 Thought he had a reasonable Season but looks more a midfielder than attacking full-back.

Hazell - 8 Can't believe we got this guy on a free. Outsanding piece of business and best foil for Gregan.

Stam - 5 Over-rated hoof merchant. Makes 5 times more mistakes than Gregan but still loved for some reason.

Lomax - 6 Looks ok but very inexperienced and prone to mistakes which again go un-noticed.

McDonald - 5 Anonymous for large periods but thanks for the memories Gary.

Jarrett - 5 A few good performances but we need consistency and there are better available IMO.

Livermore - 5 Don't like what he did to us by ending loan. Got class but not sure he wanted to be here

Taylor - 6 Too in and out for me.

Hughes - 7 Showed some brilliant class but needs to do that consistently and show injuries have cleared up.

Davies - 8 Not the sharpest tool in the box but I love watching the guy play and if he "clicks", we've got something special. He's a winger though not a CF.

Smalley - 6 Like him but not as a striker. Still a lot to learn.

Alessandra - 7 This lad could be anything. Really looking forward to seeing him develop

Wolfenden - 4 Not good enough I'm afraid and with injuries, this should have been his Season.

Gregan - 7 Brilliant defender and great captain. Season would have been different if he'd not missed a large chunk of it.

Perhaps a little harsh but I guess that reflects my overall judgment of last Season where we didn't live up to expectations IMO.

It does say had problems with injuries and his influenced was missed i think the 6 comes from the fact he didnt play a major part....

As for Thompson he didnt even feature nor did Kalala...KK to name but a few as to why i dont know!?!

Allessandra and Smalley deserve an 8 what you on about generous?

some people forget they are 18!!!

Yes, but...

A fringe striker who never really got going got 7 :blink: and i actually have a soft spot for Wolfy (in a hetrosexual way :biker: )

Allessandra and Smalley deserve an 8 what you on about generous?

some people forget they are 18!!!

Yes they are only 18, i was personally thinking more of a 7 maybe smalley with a 6... So should Walcott win player of the year because he is only young ??

I wasnt doubting what they had done at such a young age but you cant increase their rating's just because of their age!!

Some people forget about how badly smalley had played earlier on in the season, yep he did well towards the latter part of the season... Alessandra fair comment did well when he played but had a bit of time out due to injury...

As for Wolfy.... 4 absolute max

Yes they are only 18, i was personally thinking more of a 7 maybe smalley with a 6... So should Walcott win player of the year because he is only young ??

I wasnt doubting what they had done at such a young age but you cant increase their rating's just because of their age!!

Some people forget about how badly smalley had played earlier on in the season, yep he did well towards the latter part of the season... Alessandra fair comment did well when he played but had a bit of time out due to injury...

As for Wolfy.... 4 absolute max

Who said anything about player of the year? Smalley played loads this year( when he shouldnt of reall) and Lewi support Constantine awesomely and showed his loyalty signing a new contract.

Who said anything about player of the year? Smalley played loads this year( when he shouldnt of reall) and Lewi support Constantine awesomely and showed his loyalty signing a new contract.

I think they should be higher than most as their rise to the first team has been one of the hightlights. Seems to me he used 7 as average 8 is meerly above average with Allots 9 being good.

STAR MAN: Mark Allott 9

Crossley - 7

Eardley - 7

Hazell - 7

Stam - 6 (exposed alot this term)

Lomax - 7

McDonald - 6

Jarrett - 6

Livermore - 6

Taylor - 8

Hughes - 7

Davies - 6 (needs to score more and get stuck in more)

Smalley - 7 (never an 8....had a good season though)

Alessandra - 6 (never an 8....showed promise for the future)

Wolfenden - 4 (needs to go....)

Greegan - 6

A team who were mediocre virtually the whole season especially at home, bar the odd good result and the odd terrible result, should IMO not be littered with 7s and 8s.

Mark Allott - 6

Crossley - 5

Eardley - 7

Hazell - 6

Stam - 5

Lomax - 6

McDonald - 4

Jarrett - 4

Livermore - 4

Taylor - 8

Hughes - 7

Davies - 7

Smalley - 3

Alessandra - 6

Wolfenden - 2

Gregan - 5

Edited by slurms mckenzie

Davies - 6 (needs to score more and get stuck in more)

14 goals in 41 games. 1 in 3. That's not a bad ratio for anybody.

If he stays fit, I think we'll see mor eimprovement from him. He should be aiming for 25 goals minimum from a full season.

14 goals in 41 games. 1 in 3. That's not a bad ratio for anybody.

If he stays fit, I think we'll see mor eimprovement from him. He should be aiming for 25 goals minimum from a full season.

If we are to go up that 14 needs to become 25.... Probably deserved a 7 on reflection...

My turn My turn.....

STAR MAN: Mark Allott 9.1 (shez summed it up when he said he wished he has 11 mark allots on the pitch in a post match interview)

Crossley - 5.5 (same old same old quote for an average keepers season... 'a good shot stopper but sucked at........' )

Eardley - 7 (Growing in confidence and ability)

Hazell - 9 (brilliant bit of work by shez bringing in him and allot from chesterfield)

Stam - 5 (indeed, why does everyone love him so much? EVERYTIME there is a throwing to him LEVEL WITH THE edge of OUR box he either imediately hit it upfield, or takes one touch and hoofs it upfield!)

Lomax - 7 (Handled himself very well this season and has become a lot more comfortable on the ball)

McDonald - 7 (Should be a 6 but gonna miss him)

Jarrett - 6 (Lame)

Livermore - 5 (Super Lame)

Taylor - 8 (not as good as the previous season imo but still classy)

Hughes - 7 (Pure natural ability and knows where the net is.... 10 if based on millwall game alone :D )

Davies - 6 (has to stay in the middle as a cf and stop picking it up out wide, (unless that is where he is playing))

Smalley - 6 (i have to give him less than alessandra)

Alessandra - 7 (more so for the effort he has put in and his desire to win back the ball)

Wolfenden - 4 (sorry wolfy...... you have to be taller in this division, or develop the skill of a young michael owen for where you are playing)

Gregan - 7.5 (Like mouldy, i have a soft spot, but it lies here and im rating him on the games he played, not penalising him on the ones he missed, although i should!)

Feel free to comment.........

A team who were mediocre virtually the whole season especially at home, bar the odd good result and the odd terrible result, should IMO not be littered with 7s and 8s.

Mark Allott - 6

Crossley - 5

Eardley - 7

Hazell - 6

Stam - 5

Lomax - 6

McDonald - 4

Jarrett - 4

Livermore - 4

Taylor - 8

Hughes - 7

Davies - 7

Smalley - 3

Alessandra - 6

Wolfenden - 2

Gregan - 5

Mark Allott a 6 ?? Have a word...

For me:

STAR MAN: Mark Allott 8 (Mr Consistant once he got going)

Crossley - 6 (No command of area, but stopped more goals than he caused (just, I would guess))

Eardley - 7 (Decent season, but suffered from having nothing in front of him for vast parts of it)

Hazell - 8 (played excellently when unexpected. Would have been higher but went a bit off the boil at the end of the season)

Stam - 6 (steady season, with his standard error per game. Able backup thrust into a season of first teamness)

Lomax - 6 (Okay, didn't do much right or wrong in the long term)

McDonald - 6 (On his day very good, just too few and far between, yet again)

Jarrett - 6 (Had the odd game where you thought WOW! then had five off.)

Livermore - 6 (He looked a good player but not really sure his heart was in it)

Taylor - 6 (played on the wrong side, and for all the time he has spent there he has basically not learnt how to use his left foot.)

Hughes - 7 (Excellent player, but injuries have to be included in his rating)

Davies - 8 (Willing worker, good goal tally, perfect player to have away from home. Needs to take note of where the coaches are asking him to play though)

Smalley - 7 (Shakey start, but grew in confidence. Has had some absolute belters in there, such as Luton away where he was the only Oldham player to turn up)

Alessandra - 7 (Excellent prospect, hopefully will get a fair few games next season too. Needs to start scoring more if he is to be a striker though)

Wolfenden - 4 (another willing runner, but too small, too poor at finishing. Get rid)

Gregan - 6 (Made a few cock ups when playing, and was out for vast parts of the season. Still got alot to offer though)

Why no Liddell? 21 games. Or is no mark low enough?

For me:

STAR MAN: Mark Allott 8 (Mr Consistant once he got going)

Crossley - 6 (No command of area, but stopped more goals than he caused (just, I would guess))

Eardley - 7 (Decent season, but suffered from having nothing in front of him for vast parts of it)

Hazell - 8 (played excellently when unexpected. Would have been higher but went a bit off the boil at the end of the season)

Stam - 6 (steady season, with his standard error per game. Able backup thrust into a season of first teamness)

Lomax - 6 (Okay, didn't do much right or wrong in the long term)

McDonald - 6 (On his day very good, just too few and far between, yet again)

Jarrett - 6 (Had the odd game where you thought WOW! then had five off.)

Livermore - 6 (He looked a good player but not really sure his heart was in it)

Taylor - 6 (played on the wrong side, and for all the time he has spent there he has basically not learnt how to use his left foot.)

Hughes - 7 (Excellent player, but injuries have to be included in his rating)

Davies - 8 (Willing worker, good goal tally, perfect player to have away from home. Needs to take note of where the coaches are asking him to play though)

Smalley - 7 (Shakey start, but grew in confidence. Has had some absolute belters in there, such as Luton away where he was the only Oldham player to turn up)

Alessandra - 7 (Excellent prospect, hopefully will get a fair few games next season too. Needs to start scoring more if he is to be a striker though)

Wolfenden - 4 (another willing runner, but too small, too poor at finishing. Get rid)

Gregan - 6 (Made a few cock ups when playing, and was out for vast parts of the season. Still got alot to offer though)

Why no Liddell? 21 games. Or is no mark low enough?

Think they had to squeeze us in the paper so they could give United and Citeh full-page coverage of their players!

Mark Allott - 6

Crossley - 5

Eardley - 7

Hazell - 6

Stam - 5

Lomax - 6

McDonald - 4

Jarrett - 4

Livermore - 4

Taylor - 8

Hughes - 7

Davies - 7

Smalley - 3

Alessandra - 6

Wolfenden - 2

Gregan - 5

I think you must have only gone to home games prior to Everton and away games after. Our home form was pretty excellent for the latter half of the season and of course how many away games did we win in a row. As for your ratings, Taylor player of the season??? Allott a 6????

At the end of the day we finished 8th, 3rd best finish in 11 years or so. Without the injuries it would have likely have been the playoffs. A season of frustration yes but a bad season no.