You Are The Ref

I like these on the BBC site, so thought it would be worth bringing new ones onto here...Here's one I thought of before:

Latics are away at Walsall on the last day of the season. Latics need three points to win the League, the Saddlers need the win to ensure survival. It's 0-0 going into the final minute of stoppage time, and Walsall are throwing everyone forward bar the keeper. A cross comes in and Crossley catches, and thumps the ball forward...it takes a lucky bounce and with all of the Walsall team attacking, Craig Davies runs through one on one. He draws the keeper, and tries to chip him. It's a delicate chip and beats the keeper, but is clearly going to just clear the bar. However, at that moment, an inflatable ball that has been punched around the visiting supporters during the game floats towards the pitch, and connects with the match ball just before it goes over. The matchball bounces back, and Davies, anticipating a rebound in case it hit the bar, knocks it into the goal.

What does the ref do?

Its probably an indirect free kick to someone. A lot of those all seem to be about stuff which is very rare and involve a lot of punching. What I'd like to know is if it is legal for a team playing for time to get as many people touching the ball as possible and surround it stopping the opposition getting to it without fouling people.

My thought at first, but Sheffield United's goal was allowed to stand against City last year despite the deflection taken off the balloons.

Ooh good point but that may have been because the ref asked Hart to clear them and he didn't. Or because the balloon was a result of the city fans and City were the team punished by the goal.

Ooh good point but that may have been because the ref asked Hart to clear them and he didn't. Or because the balloon was a result of the city fans and City were the team punished by the goal.

I seem to remember years back, when playing crystal palace away, the ballboy collected the ball before it had crossed the line. what should have been a clear corner to us, became a drop ball, from which palace went up the pitch and scored. the explanation in the chron the following monday was that if there is any interfearance from any outside factor, be it a fan on the pitch, ballboy, balloons dog etc, a drop ball is played. or something like that anyway. so i would say a drop ball is given.

I seem to remember years back, when playing crystal palace away, the ballboy collected the ball before it had crossed the line. what should have been a clear corner to us, became a drop ball, from which palace went up the pitch and scored. the explanation in the chron the following monday was that if there is any interfearance from any outside factor, be it a fan on the pitch, ballboy, balloons dog etc, a drop ball is played. or something like that anyway. so i would say a drop ball is given.

In line with the impedement? So we'd end up with a drop ball basically on the goal-line!

Not as good as this one....

___ :lol: ___

Edited by jorvik_latic

He gives a goal. The ball has not gone out of play and was deflected by an article discarded or temporarily lying on the field of play. (as opposed to a fan running on and stopping the ball, which would be deliberate interference from an outside agent leading to a drop ball - which the referee would request to Oldham that the defending team were allowed an unhindered first strike in the spirit of the game).

wait a moment .... if I was the ref ... its a clear cut goal.. I would send the entire Walsall team off for protesting and add 3 mins of stoppage time so we can boost the goal difference ...... They can then ban me .. I dont care I only went into refereeing for this game :grin:

wait a moment .... if I was the ref ... its a clear cut goal.. I would send the entire Walsall team off for protesting and add 3 mins of stoppage time so we can boost the goal difference ...... They can then ban me .. I dont care I only went into refereeing for this game :grin:
I prefer your interpretation :)

IMO... i would say Shez & Davies OUT... Davies should be baggin them clearcut opportunities and Shez should'nt have signed such a player and the league should of been over by January... I also believe upon seeing this inflatable item Tommy Wright should of warned the fans of the implications and deflated the said item - so he has to also take the blame!!

On a serious note will we still get automatic promotion if we draw??

Edited by Davros

The ref gives the goal doesn't he?

Sheffield United scored when the ball was diverted by a stray balloon from a Citeh fan. Derby scored when the ball hit a coffee cup and flew over the Forest keeper.

Ah, but then the game would have to be abandoned, as qualified ref Colin Warnock could tell you...

Would an inflatable ball really make that much of a difference? A solid footy travelling at over 40+MPH would knock the inflatable miles into the crowd, making someone spill there Bovril and sue the club for 1st degree burns.

Firstly its away sue away son sue away!!! Secondly this inflatable ball will rebound anything... its magic.. :grin: