Nigel Miller - Match Referee Saturday

Im not really a Ref buff so whats he like?

Who is? A "ref buff" that is.

Anyway, we had him last season, at Accy Stanley in the paint pot trophy. He gave an absolute dog of a decision against Gregan (an ultra-spurious penno) which gave them a 2-0 lead just before half time IIRC. I think he was pretty shocking all game in all honesty, for both sides.

We had him at Southend when we lost 1-2 back when Ronnie was manager. Can't recall his performance that well TBH.

Oh, and Googling, it also brought up this little article about him...

These are the exact words of a match report I penned for the Birmingham Mail sometime ago.

"MAKE a note of the name: Nigel Miller of County Durham ... and beware, because he could be coming to ruin a football match near you very soon.

"...Miller is in his first season of Football League officiating and hopefully it will be his last.

"He was absolutely appalling. Everything he could get wrong, he got wrong.

"He was oblivious to mistimed challenges and offthe-ball incidents, while booking players for no apparent reason and blowing his whistle every 30 seconds.

"More than 2,500 Albion fans made the long journey and all of them deserve reimbursing from Miller's own pocket for being subjected to a pathetic, attention-seeking performance that simply beggared belief."

The reference to 2,500 Albion fans making a long journey should be a give-away - I wasn't on about Nigel Miller's display against Sheffield Wednesday at The Hawthorns last month.

These were my reflections on Miller's abject display when Albion travelled to Burnley for a League fixture on January 17, 2004.

Miller refused to answer questions following his poor performance at Burnley. So it's perhaps no surprise that he refused to be held accountable to the press, and subsequently the paying public, following his shambolic handling of Albion's draw against Sheffield Wednesday, when he not only played six minutes of time added on - three were held up by the fourth official - but failed to blow for a foul in the build up to the Owls' injury-time equaliser.

Everyone saw the foul - even Brian Laws acknowledged it. Not Miller.

As a result, Tony Mowbray expressed his disgust by walking onto the pitch and using a few choice strong words. After the game, while Mowbray explained himself, Miller merely made a hasty exit to his car, surrounded by stewards. He wasn't man enough to explain his decisions. The sign of a coward.

Mowbray, whose exemplary track record on the touchline was taken into account by the FA, was handed a suspended three-match touchline ban and £3,000 fine.

Yet Miller is no stranger to this. Ian McParland, the Notts County manager, is facing an improper conduct charge after being sent off by Miller a fortnight ago after protesting about a penalty awarded to Shrewsbury.

Miller also has history with Dennis Wise at Leeds, having dismissed the Elland Road boss earlier in the campaign.

It seems he makes enemies everywhere yet is too important (in his own eyes obviously) to be held accountable. Supporters suffer. They pay good money to see football matches, yet their support is in vain when referees like Miller take over a game.

Managers, meanwhile, get hit in the pockets.

By the way, I'm told the assessors didn't think much of his performance against Wednesday either - so why wasn't this made public?

Mowbray, McParland, Wise and Gary Megson have all been on the receiving end of Miller.

Little did I know, almost four years ago, just how bad Miller would become and how many games he would ruin. And those are just the matches we know about.

His punishment is to go on being unpunished. No doubt Miller will one day be handed a Cup Final and a book deal as a reward for his notoriety.

Meanwhile, everyone else suffers in the process...

Like I said back in January 2004, make a note of the name Nigel Miller. One day he'll be ruining a football game near you.

So, in a nutshell. He's pretty bad. Joy.

EDIT: And a quick look at the fishul states that we also had him at Carlisle United in a 0-1 defeat. Where did the goal come from? That's right, another highly dubious penno decision. Ooh, joy x2.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

EDIT: And a quick look at the fishul states that we also had him at Carlisle United in a 0-1 defeat. Where did the goal come from? That's right, another highly dubious penno decision. Ooh, joy x2.

Oh God, not him.

Half time text from that game:

"One nil to them. What looked a truly awful decision from a ref who has been appalling to say the least, not helped by the biggest bunch of diving <Expletive>'s you would ever see. We have been very poor, but words do not describe how bob this ref is."

And I'm not generally one for the calling of refs.

One thing (well, crumb of comfort, really) is he does tend to pander to home crowds more, from our experience. But he's pretty diabolical it seems.

I google the refs name a few times when I know who it is in advance. I have to say, most of them don't usually come up with a diatribe like the one written about him. Could be an fiery one on Saturday, especially if he gives some bad decisions in our favour!

the carlisle pen was dire decision and we were hard done by all game there but the pen at Accy in paint pot was nailed on - Greegan grabbed their striker full on and it was a clear pen to me and typical of Greegs thinking he can get away with murder when he feels like it ! Not too chuffed with him in charge but he owes us a few favours after Carlisle !

the pen at Accy in paint pot was nailed on - Greegan grabbed their striker full on and it was a clear pen to me and typical of Greegs thinking he can get away with murder when he feels like it !

Definitely not! Have to disagree. If I remember right, the ball came in from a set piece and the lad just crumbled to the ground as Gregan breathed on him. Now, I know Greegs is a bit physical in the box, and he's his own worse enemy at times but that was never a penalty.