Weve got more fans than you!

After there playoff success its got to be said that there support is pathetic .. as mentioned by some on there board.

Can't be doing with this "Let's Lord It Over Rochdale" attitude, very much smacks of Manchester United fans !

Given their 35 years in the 4th Division, proximity to Manchester, even Blackburn I would expect modest support.

Give their 2.5-3k support nothing more than respect.

There support was poor. Really poor. I was suprised how quiet the WMG Sounds when it seems most of the stand is singing. When you're in there it sounds like it's rocking (Chaddy anyone??) :wink:

I guess they didnt have anyone to lead the "when I was just a little boy" chants. :grin: Seeing as he knew where his loyalties lied.

Didnt like the town full of smackhead chants. Nor the Wembley. Dont know about the dale fans, but it wound me up. Nevermind them. :lol::grin:

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Can't be doing with this "Let's Lord It Over Rochdale" attitude, very much smacks of Manchester United fans !

Given their 35 years in the 4th Division, proximity to Manchester, even Blackburn I would expect modest support.

Spot on!! It's not the Rochdale fans that are poor, it's those that don't go....just as it is in Oldham. Between our two towns, we have about half a million residents and between us, we muster around 8,000 regulars at best. The only reason we can claim the moral high ground is that we are playing in a division higher. Truth is, Rochdale's fans were a credit to their club tonight, they made noise from both ends (they gave us at the Sandy Lane end of our stand a great laugh with "you're too fat to find a seat") and to be brutally honest they have a stadium light years ahead of Boundary Park. On the field, we were lucky, largely because we have a complete tosser at centre forward. Shez should show some balls and fine him the maximum allowable, and leave him out of the side for at least three games longer than whatever his inevitable ban for stupidity will realise. Complete and utter Prima Donna is Davis and the sooner Shez demonstrates he is passionate about our club the better. If he can't demonstrate solid credentials over this matter then he is no longer the man for the job.

and the sooner Shez demonstrates he is passionate about our club the better. If he can't demonstrate solid credentials over this matter then he is no longer the man for the job.

WTF?!?!?!?!?

Has he not done this time and time and time again over the 9 years or so that he has been here? Basically, your saying "Shez fines Davies a lot or he should get sacked"....FFS!

They reached the playoffs last year and manage to muster up 16k ... its there first home game of the season and a big Local Derby ... aswell as a rememberance match for Ernie. 2.5k is pathetic tbh!

And otid you talk complete twaddle .... Shez should show some balls and fine him etcetc .. the match finished about an hour ago FFS, what do you want him to do, come out on the pitch and immeditately announce hes fining him?

Edited by kellys_discopants

WTF?!?!?!?!?

Has he not done this time and time and time again over the 9 years or so that he has been here? Basically, your saying "Shez fines Davies a lot or he should get sacked"....FFS!

Didn't suggest he should get sacked.....he should effin resign if he hasn't the balls to PUBLICLY denounce Davis's actions and ensure that the big girls blouse of a footballer knows he has been hurt in his back pocket. Davis demonstrated what a tosser he is, if Shez doesn't act with haste and effect, he is no better in my book.

Didn't suggest he should get sacked.....he should effin resign if he hasn't the balls to PUBLICLY denounce Davis's actions and ensure that the big girls blouse of a footballer knows he has been hurt in his back pocket. Davis demonstrated what a tosser he is, if Shez doesn't act with haste and effect, he is no better in my book.

Maybe publicly denouncing Davies would not be the best man management for that player. I think what Shez should do is what is best for the team in the long run, and not what would make you feel better. If a quiet word and a telling off works best, then thats what he should. If a two week fine works best, then that is what he should do.

"They reached the playoffs last year and manage to muster up 16k ..."

In similar circumstances how many would Athletic take to Wembley ?

Answer; Only slightly more than the other lower division satellite towns of Manchester; Rochdale, Bury, Stockport and pre Dave Whelan Wigan.

However, you miss the point which is the criticism or the "Lording it" over Rochdale regarding their support, this is of course an irrelevance. The worst thing Latics fans can do is ape the "Massive club us" mentality of Leeds, Man U and even QPR from the Dowie Play-Off Season.

Most, if not all, lower division clubs deserve greater support. However, I feel we should rally against the Premier League, Sky, Voting Rights rather than sneering at our near neighbours.

Maybe publicly denouncing Davies would not be the best man management for that player.

Shez didn't pull any punches in his post-match interview.

Called the sending-off stupidity and said that Davis had acted like an idiot.

Must say I agree with him but let's hope CD gets his head down over the next couple of weeks coz we've gotta lot of games coming up.

Gotta agree with a lot of the comments in this thread....Rochdale fans deserve a lot of respect, but you would have thought they could have mustered more than 2.5k for their first home game of the season and closest neighbours.

If that was boundary park we would have probably took about 7000 to 8000. I got the feeling they thought that this game was not as big as we thought it was.

:D What a lot of rubbish :) Can anyone remember the last home game played on a damp tuesday night that brought in 7000 paying suppoters ??

"They reached the playoffs last year and manage to muster up 16k ..."

In similar circumstances how many would Athletic take to Wembley ?

Don't you mean DID?

Answer; Only slightly more than the other lower division satellite towns of Manchester; Rochdale, Bury, Stockport and pre Dave Whelan Wigan.

No, Answer; 30000.

We've got more fans than Rochdale in many ways so what. OK so it was embarrassing for them to be out sung at home, and have less fans than the away team (both before the game in their town centre and during it). But that's all. They put up a better performance and numbers than Bury when Bury were in the division above and that's their biggest competition/rival not us. There are a lot of Oldham fans based in Rochdale and for a lot of us it was easier to get to Rochdale than Oldham yesterday. We may have taken 32,000 to Wembley 18 years ago but what were City/United/Rochdale/Bury doing that day (and that season for that matter) (can't say all those 32,000 are die hard Oldham fans and for many that was the only Oldham game they will ever go to). I didn't realise Rochdale had such a smack-head problem and although the rougher areas of Rochdale are probably worse than the rougher areas of Oldham I can't honestly say that the nicer areas of Oldham are nicer than the nicer areas of Rochdale. If this game was at BP I think the attendance might have been 7500 (6000 us 1500 them) and even when Leeds played us on a Tuesday night we didn't have 8000 home fans (not sure if we had 7000).

Rochdale fans do deserve a lot of credit considering they've never been promoted and have remained in the lowest division for all but 1 year of their history, I'm not sure how many fans we would get if we had history like that. Its quite simple whilst PLC and City are kept in business and success by foreign money the football clubs of the towns of Oldham and Rochdale won't have a huge support without some success. Plus OK they should have had more fans but how many did we have for the Crewe/Donny games in the FA cup last year (where attendances were reduced because season ticket holders had to pay extra). Sometimes I think Oldham fans should remember that if it wasn't for TTA we'd have gone out of business or be struggling even more financially whereas Rochdale have had much more secure finances.

Having said that thank god we won as more fans don't mean bragging rights, results do.

i reckon at bp it would have been around 7k but 5k us and and 2ish them, that was their core base last night and probably ours too give or take a few hundred. our floaters or rarely attends would have been about as excited by rochdale as theirs were by the prospect of watching us beat them last night with more fans in the ground when its raining anyway. rochdales away support always looks ok on tv gol round ups aswell

. We may have taken 32,000 to Wembley 18 years ago but what were City/United/Rochdale/Bury doing that day (and that season for that matter) (can't say all those 32,000 are die hard Oldham fans and for many that was the only Oldham game they will ever go to).

Maybe they weren't all Latics diehards but I know at least 10 Latics fans who went to Wembley with Dale and I'm sure there were many City and United there too. That was probably the only Dale game many went to also.

I still think we would be good for 20,000+ for a playoff final at Wembley.