Boundary Park to be re-built in SE England?

The report by Policy Exchange, whose director recently went to head Boris Johnson’s policy team, says that many northern cities including Bolton and Oldham have “lost much of their raison d’être”. Following the decline of industry they had “little prospect of offering their residents the standard of living to which they aspire
blame the tories for the decline of industry , labour was great with harold wilson as pm

i got this You scored 22

Well done, you're a relatively normal human being who gets just about the right number of answers wrong. You may still be under the illusion that much of the north is like Corrie, but you do also understand that the north is a genuine cultural crucible

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1550889.ece

Diego will have to revise his North West/Midlands argument if you all have to move to the south east!!

Oxford and Cambridge are not in the South East - they're in the Midlands! :angry: The region is classed as London and the South East, meaning the part of the country South and East of London geographically. At the risk of incurring the wrath of otid, how many times do I have to repeat that ignorance is bliss? Journalists my arse!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

The paper was written by Tim Leunig, a lecturer at the London School of Economics. The main issues with re-generation are that the people at the lowest end – the poorest, are seen to be making the least out of such projects. However, if they move to say Oxford or Cambridge, how are they going to afford the housing which is damn sight more expensive than up here. In fact, it will only serve to widen the poverty gap and therefore make those who are most worse off, even more so.

Me thinks its an attack on Labour regeneration policy aimed at getting into the headlines rather than something that means anything.

Interesting enough, I was chatting to a Danish Urban planner at a musical festival in Denmark recently, and he seems to think Manchester (even though it has its problems) is a great example of regeneration and the Danish Government are using it as the basis for which to regenerate some of its towns and cities outside Copenhagen.

Oxford and Cambridge are not in the South East - they're in the Midlands! :angry: The region is classed as London and the South East, meaning the part of the country South and East of London geographically. At the risk of incurring the wrath of otid, how many times do I have to repeat that ignorance is bliss? Journalists my arse!

So in the wonderful dreamworld of Diego's mind, nearly all of Essex,and places like Luton, Wycombe, Slough, Woking and Guildford are not in the South East. Someone's been hitting the Marmite pretty hard this morning...

So in the wonderful dreamworld of Diego's mind, nearly all of Essex,and places like Luton, Wycombe, Slough, Woking and Guildford are not in the South East. Someone's been hitting the Marmite pretty hard this morning...

I was refering to the journalist's inclusion of Oxford and Cambridge in the South East, not the places to which you refer.

Luton is North of Oxford = South Midlands

Slough, Woking & Guildford are in the South East as I described it.

OK so Essex is North East of London and Wycome & Slough are West of London rather than South or East of it, but that's just splitting hairs which I don't like doing, because if you do that you're told to get a life. :wink:

I was refering to the journalist's inclusion of Oxford and Cambridge in the South East, not the places to which you refer.

Luton is North of Oxford = South Midlands

Slough, Woking & Guildford are in the South East as I described it.

OK so Essex is North East of London and Wycome & Slough are West of London rather than South or East of it, but that's just splitting hairs which I don't like doing, because if you do that you're told to get a life. :wink:

Slough is West of London. Guildford and Woking are Southwest of London.

The South starts becoming the Midlands somwhere around Northampton. Cambridge falls under the pull of East Anglia, which is a parallel universe all of it's own.

The South starts becoming the Midlands somwhere around Northampton. Cambridge falls under the pull of East Anglia, which is a parallel universe all of it's own.

Without wishing to back up Diego's crackpot theories :wink: , if the South becomes the Midlands around Northampton surely the North would become the Midlands at the same distance from the Scottish Border as Northampton is from the South Coast?

By my reckoning that is a line running approximately from Middlesbrough to Preston. Oldham is clearly to the South of this line.

The extent of your cull may have just got a lot bigger, LL :D

Blimey O'Riley, I was simply pointing out that Oxford and Cambridge are not in the South East, and then we get this biggest tirade of London commuter towns since Sir John Betjemin was alive! :grin:

I think I've just about grasped it now.

So, everywhere from Berwick to Brighton is in the midlands, right?

:getmecoat:

Readers, who had understood previously my blowing apart of the popular geographical misconceptions, may be confused by this outlandish interpretation of what I have been saying. I would ask you not to believe it as it comes from someone whose name is extracted from a land beyond England's Southern shore. :shock:

I am preprared to spend as long as it taes to point out where popular anomalies have been created over the years, but with doing this and being so busy living my life, I have not yet had chance to catch up on everybody's posts about last night's match. :huh:

Without wishing to back up Diego's crackpot theories :wink: , if the South becomes the Midlands around Northampton surely the North would become the Midlands at the same distance from the Scottish Border as Northampton is from the South Coast?

By my reckoning that is a line running approximately from Middlesbrough to Preston. Oldham is clearly to the South of this line.

The extent of your cull may have just got a lot bigger, LL :D

The problem is trying to bring mathematics (one of my best subjects today) into it, which isn't what regionalisms are about. For example, the Pennines dictate whether you are in the East or the West, even though they are not exactly in the middle - likewise, Yorkshire isn't in the Northeast because, as wrong as it is as a place, it is bloody big and therefore counts as Yorkshire, leaving a large area with a distinctive character of it's own to be the Northeast. Lancashire on the othe hand picks up those bits around it that aren't really worth mentioning under the Northwest region.

Diego's attempts at defining strict rules mean that Hereford is in central England from East to West, whereas it is of course on the extreme West, given that you are in Wales if you go any further...

And regarding the cull, although I am correct in this argument, don't doubt that if I err when defining legitimate targets, I will err on the side of caution, caution not to allow any Midlanders to escape :)