Demar Phillips - Shoddy treatment

I must admit that I’m very disappointed in the way that Oldham Athletic has gone about the business of the ‘on off’ Demar Phillips loan deal.

I feel sorry for Phillips who has done everything that has been asked of him and more during his time on trial at Boundary Park, and has now seemingly dropped off the radar. .

I used to be proud of the fact that Oldham Athletic was a club that acted with integrity at all times, but I feel that we have badly let the lad down. I know this has been said before but, was the cost to the club of any eventual loan deal not discussed at the time the lad was brought to Boundary Park?

Phillips would surely have been better served by spending his pre-season with a club that had a proper grasp of the reality of the Championship style wages that would be associated with his signature, and not with one that simply shied away when these were actually brought onto the agenda.

Should Oldham not sign him now – as seems likely – we might just be leaving him high and dry again for yet another season. Pretty poor treatment in my opinion!

I must admit that I’m very disappointed in the way that Oldham Athletic has gone about the business of the ‘on off’ Demar Phillips loan deal.

I feel sorry for Phillips who has done everything that has been asked of him and more during his time on trial at Boundary Park, and has now seemingly dropped off the radar. .

I used to be proud of the fact that Oldham Athletic was a club that acted with integrity at all times, but I feel that we have badly let the lad down. I know this has been said before but, was the cost to the club of any eventual loan deal not discussed at the time the lad was brought to Boundary Park?

Phillips would surely have been better served by spending his pre-season with a club that had a proper grasp of the reality of the Championship style wages that would be associated with his signature, and not with one that simply shied away when these were actually brought onto the agenda.

Should Oldham not sign him now – as seems likely – we might just be leaving him high and dry again for yet another season. Pretty poor treatment in my opinion!

The way things have turned out is just unfortunate, how the two clubs couldnt agree the details, and it was always going to be Demar on the harsh end if this happened.

Just one of those things, if we can't afford to pay for the guy, no club would take the players feelings before their finances or the skill of the player (not the case here, though)

:blink:

Or perhaps Oldham were mis-led by stoke, who blatantly strung both parties along... leaving both Oldham and Demar without the solution they wanted...

This is yet again a very negative viewpoint, when it has been said all along that oldham wanted to speak to stoke... and it was they who didnt deem it important.... a fact that has been time and time again mentioned.. yet again seemeingly overlooked in your post.

Honestly...

TBH, I would like to see him at the club yes .... but how on earth can you make such a post when you dont know all the details? You only know rumours on here and whatever the clubs have released ... thats it.

So after Shez`s comments ... that we just cant reach a financial agreement with Stoke ... this post is pretty much garbage now?

What a complete load of tosh this is.

You obviously have little or no business dealings in your life to understand what goes on with regards these loan deals.

To blame latics is just ridiculous and makes me wonder who you support !!!!!

What a complete load of tosh this is.

You obviously have little or no business dealings in your life to understand what goes on with regards these loan deals.

To blame latics is just ridiculous and makes me wonder who you support !!!!!

I think a valid point is raised here - Latics have been naive if they did not raise up front the matter of what percentage of Demar Phillips wages Stoke wanted us to pay. Yes Sheridan still wants the lad at BP and so do most of us on the board - but hopes have been raised and a player potentially misled. So 'complete load of tosh' no I don't think so. 'Little or no business dealings' again I don't agree with that comment either - if you conduct your business deals the way latics have gone about this deal then Ithink your career is on a road to nowhere. :lol:

Your blaming Oldham when you have no idea what happened with the deal.

Some people really do live in their own little worlds

Edited by daniel8157

Your blaming Oldham when you have no idea what happened with the deal.

Some people really do live in their own little worlds

So I go into a garage to test drive a 20k car - I know that I only have 10k to spend but I don't bother to discuss this with the salesman. Naturally I love the car and want to take it - but the salesman will not come down to my 10k limit. WHo's time have I wasted? If I had discussed the price beforehand and realised that the car was going to be out of my price range perhaps I would have chosen to test drive a cheaper car...

:grin:

Didn't Sheridan state in a recent interview he was frustrated with Stoke as they didn't seem to know how much they were paying Phillips. How are Oldham to blame?

Nail on head.

What would have happened is that stoke say they have a player that wants to go on loan to a league one club for games... Latics enquie about him, and are told pretty much...

"yeah that will be fine, season long loan, no probs as long as he gets games, listen, we are a bit busy trying to convince the brazil national team to come and play for us to give us a hope in hell, so dont worry about the cost, check him out and we will sort something out later"

Latics have a look at the guy.... everything goes fine... they then try to ring Stoke a load of times but just get an engaged tone, or the answerphone saying "Hi sorry we cant take your call, but we are too busy right royally shating ourselves over the batterings we will get next season"...

Then when they finally do get through they have forgotten who the player is, and how much they pay him.... which they misled us about in the first place... absolutely not our fault!

So I go into a garage to test drive a 20k car - I know that I only have 10k to spend but I don't bother to discuss this with the salesman. Naturally I love the car and want to take it - but the salesman will not come down to my 10k limit. WHo's time have I wasted? If I had discussed the price beforehand and realised that the car was going to be out of my price range perhaps I would have chosen to test drive a cheaper car...

Or.... wait for all the shiny new garages to open all around said garage, all with swisher, higher performing cars which make the garages cars look shiiiite... they then need to get better stock when prime selling season starts... there fore offloading £20k cars for sod all when season starts...

Shez has said he is still interested in making the deal work... sure when the season starts Stoke will realise they ahve bigger things to piss about over...

Think he will be here fairly soon as it's just a case of balancing the books....If we can offload Kalala which hopefully will happen before the transfer window closes then I think it will happen...fingers crossed!!!!

Then there is still the new, lengthier process to go through to get a work permit.

I think a valid point is raised here - Latics have been naive if they did not raise up front the matter of what percentage of Demar Phillips wages Stoke wanted us to pay. Yes Sheridan still wants the lad at BP and so do most of us on the board - but hopes have been raised and a player potentially misled. So 'complete load of tosh' no I don't think so. 'Little or no business dealings' again I don't agree with that comment either - if you conduct your business deals the way latics have gone about this deal then Ithink your career is on a road to nowhere. :lol:

[/quote

BigDog, we're on the same wavelength. Some of the viwepoints expressed by others have simply been baffling: the point I made was that Oldham have, and continue to string the lad along in the hope that we'll be able to pick him up on the cheap.

That for me is not the sensible 'wheeling and dealing' that Blitz talked about, it is using the lad as a pawn whilst we attempt to manipulate events. That to me amounts to shoddy treatment, despite the views of those who think Latics can do no wrong.

Your subsequent car purchase post is absolutely spot on. Thanks for your support.

Edited by ronnieblair

Nail on head.

What would have happened is that stoke say they have a player that wants to go on loan to a league one club for games... Latics enquie about him, and are told pretty much...

"yeah that will be fine, season long loan, no probs as long as he gets games, listen, we are a bit busy trying to convince the brazil national team to come and play for us to give us a hope in hell, so dont worry about the cost, check him out and we will sort something out later"

Latics have a look at the guy.... everything goes fine... they then try to ring Stoke a load of times but just get an engaged tone, or the answerphone saying "Hi sorry we cant take your call, but we are too busy right royally shating ourselves over the batterings we will get next season"...

Then when they finally do get through they have forgotten who the player is, and how much they pay him.... which they misled us about in the first place... absolutely not our fault!

Or.... wait for all the shiny new garages to open all around said garage, all with swisher, higher performing cars which make the garages cars look shiiiite... they then need to get better stock when prime selling season starts... there fore offloading £20k cars for sod all when season starts...

Shez has said he is still interested in making the deal work... sure when the season starts Stoke will realise they ahve bigger things to piss about over...

You knew how much the car was before you went in the garage so you were the complete waste of time.

People just think becos the guy earns XYZ then latics have to pay that.

If the car said discount available you would have gone in then. just like latics did.

If stoke don't come back with some concrete figures for latics to so yes or no how can they be held responsiblle.

Still complete tosh statement to start with and some people have no basic business ideas.

I wouldn't test drive a car in a garage. You'll either not get far or crash.

BigDog, we're on the same wavelength. Some of the viwepoints expressed by others have simply been baffling: the point I made was that Oldham have, and continue to string the lad along in the hope that we'll be able to pick him up on the cheap.

That for me is not the sensible 'wheeling and dealing' that Blitz talked about, it is using the lad as a pawn whilst we attempt to manipulate events. That to me amounts to shoddy treatment, despite the views of those who think Latics can do no wrong.

Your subsequent car purchase post is absolutely spot on. Thanks for your support.

Evil oldham trying to manipulate poor little premiership Stoke as we won't make a loan signing our highest paid player. In the meantime poor little Demar who is getting so many thousands a week has to put up with playing in Stokes reserves. Imagine Tony Pullis with the millions thats hes got being pushed into the corner by John Sheridan and his bullying tactics that only a business that makes a loss year on year has the power to do. We should face point deductions for this..... No EU Sanctions!!!

Evil oldham trying to manipulate poor little premiership Stoke as we won't make a loan signing our highest paid player. In the meantime poor little Demar who is getting so many thousands a week has to put up with playing in Stokes reserves. Imagine Tony Pullis with the millions thats hes got being pushed into the corner by John Sheridan and his bullying tactics that only a business that makes a loss year on year has the power to do. We should face point deductions for this..... No EU Sanctions!!!

Ronnie -

Agree with JLF , 20 point deduction for shocking tactics that even Fergie would be ashamed of.

Good job most latics fans are not quite with it otherwise we would see through their pathetic attempts to ruin his career and extort much need cash out of poor Stoke coffers -

Get in the real world !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by losesome

But the point is everyone goes into a garage with the aim of negotiating. They don't go in with the cheque for the full amount in their hand...

What if the difference was closed than 20k to 10k and they want 16 k and you can got o 14k