Manchester Senior Cup

Oh I forgot - Smalley was a powerhouse, pace, control, won everything in the air. His goal was a quality finish!

Went last night Smalleys goal was  quality as you say, but the build up was superb3-4 one touch balls then ( get in my son )But one thing he's got to get sorted  his his attitude , last  night the ref. blew up for an incident , he started walking away the ref. blew his whistle again to speak to him but he completely ignored it & carried on walking away eventually he turned back to the ref. who indicated come back to me , which reluctlently he did but at a really slow pace, he wasn't booked last night luckily but the next one might not be so lenient (don't give them that option)

ps (my opinion)

.... one thing he's got to get sorted  his his attitude , last  night the ref. blew up for an incident , he started walking away the ref. blew his whistle again to speak to him but he completely ignored it & carried on walking away eventually he turned back to the ref. who indicated come back to me , which reluctlently he did but at a really slow pace, he wasn't booked last night luckily but the next one might not be so lenient (don't give them that option)

Something he has learned from Gregan.

Something he has learned from Gregan.

Ok Diego, we get it.........you don't rate Gregan, the fact you never waste an opportunity to criticise the guy is bordering on the obsessive. I can think of 22 other teams that would love someone with the presence of Greegs (23 actually, I'm sure Leeds are regretting letting him go after last week's performance.) Yes he's prone to the occasional lapse, yes he is an arrogant sod BUT i'm glad he's spitting out of the tent. Give the guy a break and i'm sure Deano is a big boy and if he wants to 'diss' the ref that's his own decision (probably picked it up off Rooney or Cashley, rather than Greegs). Anyhow P3 W3 but still veiled sniping is more than apparent and directed to one of the first names on the team sheet.

Ok Diego, we get it.........you don't rate Gregan, the fact you never waste an opportunity to criticise the guy is bordering on the obsessive. I can think of 22 other teams that would love someone with the presence of Greegs (23 actually, I'm sure Leeds are regretting letting him go after last week's performance.) Yes he's prone to the occasional lapse, yes he is an arrogant sod BUT i'm glad he's spitting out of the tent. Give the guy a break and i'm sure Deano is a big boy and if he wants to 'diss' the ref that's his own decision (probably picked it up off Rooney or Cashley, rather than Greegs). Anyhow P3 W3 but still veiled sniping is more than apparent and directed to one of the first names on the team sheet.

Having seen Thompson and Stam on Wednesday too, I don't think either of them are going to be taking the spot of Greegs or Hazell yet either.

Whooooaahhh!!! Calm down!! I rate Gregan very highly. I agree with everything you say about other teams wanting him and him being one of the first names on the team sheet. He was a colossus against Leeds and showed no sign of dissent.

My criticisms are directed at what I see as actions which may well result in his suspension, which would be a massive loss to the team, as his absence through injury proved last season. The description of Smalley's action in the Manc Senior Cup was exactly what I observe regularly from Gregan.

I have criticised dissent in other players, Taylor, Davies and kicking the ball away 30 yards by Hughes in stoppage time against Milwall, when already on a yellow card. If he'd been sent off it may not have been P3 W3.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not a wise game to wind up the ref and if the more experienced players set the right example we shouldn't suffer from unnecessary suspensions.

Whooooaahhh!!! Calm down!! I rate Gregan very highly. I agree with everything you say about other teams wanting him and him being one of the first names on the team sheet. He was a colossus against Leeds and showed no sign of dissent.

My criticisms are directed at what I see as actions which may well result in his suspension, which would be a massive loss to the team, as his absence through injury proved last season. The description of Smalley's action in the Manc Senior Cup was exactly what I observe regularly from Gregan.

I have criticised dissent in other players, Taylor, Davies and kicking the ball away 30 yards by Hughes in stoppage time against Milwall, when already on a yellow card. If he'd been sent off it may not have been P3 W3.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not a wise game to wind up the ref and if the more experienced players set the right example we shouldn't suffer from unnecessary suspensions.

I don't need to calm down sir, very calm at the moment with a few tunes on working through a pile of paperwork! I do agree that Hughes in particular is an accident waiting to happen, he was extremely lucky on a couple of occasions lasts season when benefitting from the referee's leniency, particularly when he petulantly kicked out at a Luton player right in front of the linesman at BP last season - he was very fortunate to escape with only a booking. I still think he should keep his head down as his particular bridge that needs building is only at the digging out stage.

As for Gregan, he does seem to lose it when he's having a difficult afternoon - notably against pace. But that unfortunately is a big part of the modern day footballer's psyche - Spitting their dummy out, blaming anyone but themselves. Hopefully him being up against a fellow bruiser in Hayles, tomorrow could be another one of his 'good afternoons'. As you say though,we missed him when he wasn't in the team and i'm sure we wouldn't have conceded the goals we did at home to Vale, Luton, Walsall, Brighton, Swindon etc... with Greegs in the team. Add that up and that would have meant a play off berth. One thing that has disappointed me about Seany Boy since his arrival has been his lack of a threat in the opposition's box, he's a man mountain and should be good for at least 4 or 5 goals a season.

Edited by oafcprozac

I don't need to calm down sir, very calm at the moment with a few tunes on working through a pile of paperwork! I do agree that Hughes in particular is an accident waiting to happen, he was extremely lucky on a couple of occasions lasts season when benefitting from the referee's leniency, particularly when he petulantly kicked out at a Luton player right in front of the linesman at BP last season - he was very fortunate to escape with only a booking. I still think he should keep his head down as his particular bridge that needs building is only at the digging out stage.

As for Gregan, he does seem to lose it when he's having a difficult afternoon - notably against pace. But that unfortunately is a big part of the modern day footballer's psyche - Spitting their dummy out, blaming anyone but themselves. Hopefully him being up against a fellow bruiser in Hayles, tomorrow could be another one of his 'good afternoons'. As you say though,we missed him when he wasn't in the team and i'm sure we wouldn't have conceded the goals we did at home to Vale, Luton, Walsall, Brighton, Swindon etc... with Greegs in the team. Add that up and that would have meant a play off berth. One thing that has disappointed me about Seany Boy since his arrival has been his lack of a threat in the opposition's box, he's a man mountain and should be good for at least 4 or 5 goals a season.

So, after all that, we're singing from the same sheet.

Went last night Smalleys goal was quality as you say, but the build up was superb3-4 one touch balls then ( get in my son )But one thing he's got to get sorted his his attitude , last night the ref. blew up for an incident , he started walking away the ref. blew his whistle again to speak to him but he completely ignored it & carried on walking away eventually he turned back to the ref. who indicated come back to me , which reluctlently he did but at a really slow pace, he wasn't booked last night luckily but the next one might not be so lenient (don't give them that option)

ps (my opinion)

I agree, I was in the stand some distance away from Smalley and the referee and I clearly heard the official call Smalley back several times.