concerned

excellent result today but one thing has crossed my mind;do you think we are becoming a one man team?(i.e. Hughesy.)

Against millwall we struggled till he came on,Leeds he created both goals and today a hat trick.

I know its only early on in the season and I dont want to be a downer but sooner or later(sooner being most probable) hes going to be out injured.I cant see our forwards filling his boots at the present time.

excellent result today but one thing has crossed my mind;do you think we are becoming a one man team?(i.e. Hughesy.)

Against millwall we struggled till he came on,Leeds he created both goals and today a hat trick.

I know its only early on in the season and I dont want to be a downer but sooner or later(sooner being most probable) hes going to be out injured.I cant see our forwards filling his boots at the present time.

although hughes has been immense, i think danny whittiker should take alot of credit also he has been superb

the whole team is playing well at the moment, enjoy it while it lasts :grin:

although hughes has been immense, i think danny whittiker should take alot of credit also he has been superb

glad hughes has scored.....but dont forget his assists for chris taylor in the previous 2 games.....we are far from a one trick pony....its a brilliant team effort....onward and upward

i dont no about that. allesandra looks very sharp and he will score goals.

We know Hughesy is essential to our promotion hopes, he's a penalty box predator and most teams will only have one like that if they're lucky.

If he gets injured then the guys warming their arses on the bench will just have to come in and do the business that's why we have a strong squad.

I'm confident that O'Grady and Davies will take their chance when it comes. Remember O'Grady is still finding his feet in this league and Davies...well we know what he can do if he applies himself.

My only fear is that a club might come in with a silly offer for Hughes in the next few days and unfortunately every player at this club has his price, if we can keep him beyond the transfer window then we'll be OK, and then it's a case of still being in the promotion places in January!

I'd also like to think that if we can continue this form over the next month or so then slowly the missing supporters will be enticed back because it will be impossible to keep this side together on crowds under 5K!!!

I thought Cheltenham were scared to death of both Lewis and Lee Hughes. Both players are a real handful with the ball at their feet, and played off each other really well all game.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we're a one-man team, but Hughes is a key player, along with Gregan and, if he carried on his current form, Danny Whittaker. If all those players play most of our season we'll certainly be up there. I cannot see us selling Hughes unless the offers start reaching £1m or even more. The lad clearly has far too much quality for this division.

I thought Cheltenham were scared to death of both Lewis and Lee Hughes. Both players are a real handful with the ball at their feet, and played off each other really well all game.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we're a one-man team, but Hughes is a key player, along with Gregan and, if he carried on his current form, Danny Whittaker. If all those players play most of our season we'll certainly be up there. I cannot see us selling Hughes unless the offers start reaching £1m or even more. The lad clearly has far too much quality for this division.

If Eardley is supposedly worth 3 million, what must this machine be worth?!

We know Hughesy is essential to our promotion hopes, he's a penalty box predator and most teams will only have one like that if they're lucky.

If he gets injured then the guys warming their arses on the bench will just have to come in and do the business that's why we have a strong squad.

I'm confident that O'Grady and Davies will take their chance when it comes. Remember O'Grady is still finding his feet in this league and Davies...well we know what he can do if he applies himself.

Agree with most of what you say, apart from the fact Hughesy is simply a 'predator' he is far more than that, a predator doesnt link the play like he does, or do as much unoticed running to create space for others, or chase lost causes.... Hughesy is absolutely the complete striker at this level... to class him as a predator is a massive disservice...

Hughesy is our best player - he showed that today, and he is getting better, we are very lucky to have him... but so many teams at our level will have one star player they rely on and are screwed if they lose him.... even leeds with beckford...

The difference is this season we have got players who can come in - i disagree our bench cant cut it - up front we are stronger than I can ever remember... with O'Grady rearing to go, and dont forget our supposed superstar davies... with Smalley, wolfy and willams as back up that is stronger than I can remember, and have confidence in them to step in if needed.

No doubt though - Hughes is the absolute main man.... he can fire us up singlehandedly in this form.... and am very glad he is in our team.

Agree with most of what you say, apart from the fact Hughesy is simply a 'predator' he is far more than that, a predator doesnt link the play like he does, or do as much unoticed running to create space for others, or chase lost causes.... Hughesy is absolutely the complete striker at this level... to class him as a predator is a massive disservice...

Hughesy is our best player - he showed that today, and he is getting better, we are very lucky to have him... but so many teams at our level will have one star player they rely on and are screwed if they lose him.... even leeds with beckford...

The difference is this season we have got players who can come in - i disagree our bench cant cut it - up front we are stronger than I can ever remember... with O'Grady rearing to go, and dont forget our supposed superstar davies... with Smalley, wolfy and willams as back up that is stronger than I can remember, and have confidence in them to step in if needed.

No doubt though - Hughes is the absolute main man.... he can fire us up singlehandedly in this form.... and am very glad he is in our team.

Didn't say that he was just a predator and yes there is so much more to his game but a penalty box predator he most certainly is!!!!

Get a new username Sunshine ! B)

I think everyone is right on this thread - yes, Hughes will be a huge loss when he is missing - every striker is at some point - we would have pissed our way into the play-offs at least last season if he had stayed fit for 10 more games just as he was running into form, and I defy anyone who wasn't at the away games before Christmas to tell me otherwise - but we have so many more options now. It doesn't need to be a straight swap, which we plainly can't do, as Hughes is far better than anyone we (or anyone else) have available, but we can play a different system. I agree 100% with Shucky, O'Grady has done everything that could have been asked of him, and I feel for the lad - but at the moment, we have a better pair to start the next match, so he needs to raise his game a bit further. Craig Davis as 4th choice striker is better than John Eyre in the first 11. And with Hughes out, I think we would play a different system anyway, maybe one up top, maybe 3. There is really no way anyone should be taking it easy on the training ground.

Edited by leeslover

There's a subtle difference between becoming a one man team and having a player who is clearly a class above anyone else on the park at this level.

First and foremost, Hughes is a striker - he relies on quality elsewhere in the team to either create the chance for him to convert, or convert the chances he creates. We've shown a level of creativity so far this season from Liddell, Taylor, Alessandra and Whitaker that we struggled to produce consistently last term. Yes, a decent number of games from Highes will probably be crucial in the end, but we're creating and converting chances from all over the place and even without him I reckon we'll score goals. Of course, there will be a point in the season when that creativity dries up, and if Hughes is playing he'll be the player most likely to produce something from nothing, but hopefully any such dry spell will be brief.

Having seen Allesandra form decent parterships with everybody he's played with up front, I take a view that if Hughes is injured, but Lewis is playing, we'll be okay.

Hughes is clearly our best individual striker and should start the key games if fit. Our real problems would start if both these guys were out of the side.