Danny Whitaker

Aberdeen fans seem underwhelmed with Gary Mac after 3 games:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A40061684

The quote I like is:

"I'll get behind both too but they were never signed as attacking midfielders hence the sideways two yard passes from both players, pity though as we are crying out for attacking midfield players not defensive ones."

Pretty passing is pointless without that key through ball or late run in to the box.

'I think he's struggling with the pace of the SPL after quite a few years in England'

I think he gave his all but he was never quick enough for league 1. Perhaps an unfair comparison but id suggest Whitaker is 10 times the player gary mac ever was after only 3 games. Of course mention Everton and huge brownie points flood in, and his equalising goal away at Scunthorpe the previous season, thats my 2 main notable memory's of him. Would never cut it at championship level though.

'I think he's struggling with the pace of the SPL after quite a few years in England'

I think he gave his all but he was never quick enough for league 1. Perhaps an unfair comparison but id suggest Whitaker is 10 times the player gary mac ever was after only 3 games. Of course mention Everton and huge brownie points flood in, and his equalising goal away at Scunthorpe the previous season, thats my 2 main notable memory's of him. Would never cut it at championship level though.

I agree, Whits is far superior to Gary Mac, especially in the aspect that he actually gets involved in the game. Although G-Mac has provided me with my two most memorable moments in recent seasons, both the goals Kidderz mentioned.

G-Mac and Whitaker aren't even close to being the same sort of player. One likes to give and go, the other to get his foot on the ball. For what it's worth I think McDonald struggled for people to make use of the runs he made, especially last season with no Wellens and with Liddell out for a long while.

My....and I got slated for pointing out McD's failings on here, which became ever-apparent and saw people start to agree. Gary Mc had his good days but not often enough. When he ticked, we ticked but that wasn't regularly enough for us. Thankfully, Whitaker is (so far) ticking everywhere. And ticking every box. It could be early season form and youthfulness. I hope not, I hope coming to us is his coming of age in football. So far though, Whitaker is an utter revelation and although GM would've been useful as back-up, we had to say goodbye as he wouldn't accept that. I just hope Danny stays injury-free and in fine form.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Another BB80 exclusive:

My....and I got slated for pointing out McD's failings on here, which became ever-apparent and saw people start to agree. Gary Mc had his good days but not often enough. When he ticked, we ticked but that wasn't regularly enough for us. Thankfully, Whitaker is (so far) ticking everywhere. And ticking every box. It could be early season form and youthfulness. I hope not, I hope coming to us is his coming of age in football. So far though, Whitaker is an utter revelation and although GM would've been useful as back-up, we had to say goodbye as he wouldn't accept that. I just hope Danny stays injury-free and in fine form.

Gary Mac went missing far too often, but he gave us two very memorable moments, one of which probably assures him legendary status. He did work hard, saw his contract out, never moaned when he wasn't playing and didn't slagged the club / fans off when he left.

Danny Whittaker looks a player who comes looking for the ball and wont make the runs into the box Gary did. But he will be involved a lot more and move the play forward. He has started his latics career very well. I hope it continues.

I think what I like about Danny is he can tackle as good as anyone. He worked hard to get the ball back for us whenever we lost possession so that's a great quality. In the few games we've seen him, he's a pretty decent 'all-rounder' as it were.

One thing you can't avoid when you look at it, is with a midfield of Whittaker and Allott, we possess a large amount of creativity. Even though the tempo was lower than usual for much of the game against Cheltenham we still carved out chance after chance with a busy engine room. It was very, very pleasing to see.

Too soon for me to start making comparisons against a player I have seen 4 times v one I saw play considerably more.

But DW has looked a cracking little player so far and based on the fleeting appearances from others - is comfortably the best signing of the summer.

Looking forward to another good game tonight.

Also - he appears to be one of the better corner takers on the pitch (when he doesn't get drawn into the crap short corner routine we have become afflcited with) and actually makes me think we might score from one this season!