edhunteruk

SHOULD THE CLUB HAVE A TOWN CENTRE PRESENCE  

140 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD THE CLUB HAVE A PRESENCE IN TOWN CENTRE

• YES THE CLUB SHOULD,IT MAY HELP WITH ATTENDANCES
    • NO,THE CLUB SHOULDNT HAVE A PRESENCE
    • NOT BOTHERED EITHER WAY

Guest oa_exile
Its a very real danager the club could lose money doing this sort of stuff...

JD Sports etc would want a cut of the sale...and it wouldnt be a small percentage...

People are working of the principle that they would sell more merchandise this way..... I would suggest that we would sell exactly the same amount but people would opt to buy from the town centre shop as its closer....meaning the club lose money due to them not reciving all the payment...

I think you get the picture....its a big gamble....and one i dont think will pay off....

"Sale or return" There is enough % built in to make a good profit.

The Club finish up fire selling unsold / slow selling stock at the end of the season anyway .............

Do you get the picture ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
Erm, haven't Streetwise sports been selling our kits and leisure wear for the past three years?

They where doing at one point... But then they went bust...

Coco ............ Keep Up :grin:

Edited by oa_exile

"Sale or return" There is enough % built in to make a good profit.

The Club finish up fire selling unsold / slow selling stock at the end of the season anyway .............

Do you get the picture ?

I do get the picture but i dont think you do...

"Sale or return" wont protect the club from what I described.... If people stoped using the club shop and bought from JD for example the club would take less money....fact... The club would need to see more people buying things...to cover the how much of the profit JD would take.... Which is a big gamble...

Plus all the admin costs etc would also be costly....

Its not as straight forward as people seem to think it is...

Edited by oafc0000

To slightly rescue the point I was trying to make, the club would have seen the sales figures from the Oldham store (plus we sold kits in the Arndale store too) and would have seen whether it was viable to have a presence in the town centre.

Anyway, I expect JD Sports will be selling our shirts .

Edited by Senor_Coconut

To slightly rescue the point I was trying to make, the club would have seen the sales figures from the Oldham store (plus we sold kits in the Arndale store too) and would have seen whether it was viable to have a presence in the town centre.

Yeah coco is right...

All I know at end of the day is what a flop the original town centre shop was....and that was in the premiership days...

I suspect we lost money on the shirts being sold in the town centre, I dont see how we wouldnt, but the owners probably think thats worht it to have the shirts on view to the wider public....

If the aim is to make money, it wont work... If the aim is to promote the club, it will have something of an impact...

Edited by oafc0000

Guest oa_exile
I do get the picture but i dont think you do...

"Sale or return" wont protect the club from what I described.... If people stoped using the club shop and bought from JD for example the club would take less money....fact... The club would need to see more people buying things...to cover the how much of the profit JD would take.... Which is a big gamble...

Plus all the admin costs etc would also be costly....

Its not as straight forward as people seem to think it is...

Never said it was straight forward , just think that selling merchandise in the town cente is more high profile than at the club shop............as in passing trade or people who cant be arsed to go the club shop during the week , before or after match days kind of thing.

Get the picture yet ?

Guest oa_exile

Good point on the sales figures

We also had a deal with streetwise as well , as "Streetwise Sports" was on the training kits.

As I pointed Just an idea :)

Never said it was straight forward , just think that selling merchandise in the town cente is more high profile than at the club shop............as in passing trade or people who cant be arsed to go the club shop during the week , before or after match days kind of thing.

Get the picture yet ?

I get you now you explain your point properly :)...

So you think its worth doing from a promotional point of view but you accept that we could end up loseing money ?

Im not sure its a gamble worth taking personally. I dont think seeing are stuff in the town centre is going to sway someone to part with £20 on match day or make them any more likely to buy a shirt...

Edited by oafc0000

Guest oa_exile
So you think its worth doing from a promotional point of view but you accept that we could end up loseing money ?

Erm , sale or return :) so how can we lose money ? :blink: we have no overheads to pay :huh:

Erm , sale or return :) so how can we lose money ? :blink: we have no overheads to pay :huh:

:lol:

Its funny that you still dont get it.... :)

JD take a cut you accept that dont you...lets say for arguments sake its 20%....

When the club sell a shirt through the club shop it would be without this 20% cut....

So every time JD sell a shirt its taking away 20% the club could of earnt...

So you need JD to sell enough extra shirts for these 20% to not be an issue....

Now if more people think its easier to pop into JD than the club shop then thats a big loss to the club. Lets say 3,000 people buy shirts. If last year 3,000 people bought from the club shop and now only 1,500 do then the clubs takings will be down....

If you dont get it now you will never get it :lol: Sale or return has nothing to do with it :)

Guest oa_exile
:lol:

Its funny that you still dont get it.... :)

JD take a cut you accept that dont you...lets say for arguments sake its 20%....

When the club sell a shirt through the club shop it would be without this 20% cut....

So every time JD sell a shirt its taking away 20% the club could of earnt...

So you need JD to sell enough extra shirts for these 20% to not be an issue....

Now if more people think its easier to pop into JD than the club shop then thats a big loss to the club. Lets say 3,000 people buy shirts. If last year 3,000 people bought from the club shop and now only 1,500 do then the clubs takings will be down....

If you dont get it now you will never get it :lol: Sale or return has nothing to do with it :)

lol :lol: I dont get it :grin:

Simple equasion for you ;

COGS + Overheads = Total Cost X Margin = Profit

Now in my book a profit is a profit whether it be 20% , 40% , 60%

Where you get the loss from I will never know ? reduced profit margins , big difference.

lol :lol: I dont get it :grin:

Simple equasion for you ;

COGS + Overheads = Total Cost X Margin = Profit

Now in my book a profit is a profit whether it be 20% , 40% , 60%

Where you get the loss from I will never know ? reduced profit margins , big difference.

You do get it... I didnt mean as they would actually lose money... They would make less money then they where....

Guest oa_exile
You do get it... I didnt mean as they would actually lose money... They would make less money then they where....

lol :grin:

You are great oafc0000 :) you have made me laugh today mate ^_^ good man ! :lol:

Guest oa_exile
We aim to please :)

Im here all week.....:)

Anyway about this franchaise me and you are on about opening up ........... is it a goer or not ? :laught16:

ok,with certain rumblings in the press recently( todays chron) and mr corneys repeated rallying cry for more fans through the turnstyles.....

do you think the club needs a presence in the town centre....like a one stop latics shop.....that basically sells kit and everything else latics related..

but also sells match day tickets and away tickets and possibly travel incentives as well......

i feel this would be more likely to get the extra fans back to bp better than ranting in the papers about the lack of support,as you or a family member are more likely to go to the town centre than go out of there way to the clubs ticket office.....

This doesn't address the basic problem - small fan base. How do you increase your fan base. A shop won't do a lot. Stott et al realised that this was always going to be a problem, but their solutuon of creating Manchester North End (out of us, Rochdale and Bury) was neve going to address the issue as it completely misunderstood football fans.

So, how do you increase the fan base. Our base has always been small. Too much competition from Utd., CIty but also becasue the region has so many othr clubs. Even Tameside has a number of old non league clubs which must get around 2,000 in total.

The attendance on Saturday was poor, but I can't help thinking the TTAs thought we were something we've never been. The question they have to ask is, how do we increase the base? I haven't a clue, but shop won't do it.

Guest oa_exile
This doesn't address the basic problem - small fan base. How do you increase your fan base. A shop won't do a lot. Stott et al realised that this was always going to be a problem, but their solutuon of creating Manchester North End (out of us, Rochdale and Bury) was neve going to address the issue as it completely misunderstood football fans.

So, how do you increase the fan base. Our base has always been small. Too much competition from Utd., CIty but also becasue the region has so many othr clubs. Even Tameside has a number of old non league clubs which must get around 2,000 in total.

The attendance on Saturday was poor, but I can't help thinking the TTAs thought we were something we've never been. The question they have to ask is, how do we increase the base? I haven't a clue, but shop won't do it.

Example : StalyVegas played on Saturday V's Southport . attendance 747

Guest oa_exile
Exactly. Then add the likes of Hyde, Droylsden, Ashton, and even Curzon and Mossley, and you're getting there.

Shove off :o i'm not troving through all them for attendances :grin:

Shove off :o i'm not troving through all them for attendances :grin:

LOL. You could become the new stato! Add Oldham Town, Chadderton FC, Glossop etc. Then include a wind differential, a possible time lapse due to a black hole...sorry, another thread. Clever lad that Jimmy Reade.

Guest oa_exile
LOL. You could become the new stato! Add Oldham Town, Chadderton FC, Glossop etc. Then include a wind differential, a possible time lapse due to a black hole...sorry, another thread. Clever lad that Jimmy Reade.

Apart from the booze , sex , drugs and rock n roll , i bet I would be a good role model for Jimmy :)

As Markoasis said, all local JD should be selling matchday tickets/vouchers.

Mind you I'm not sure about them selling shirts, as has been said, that just takes a nice fat profit away from the Latics shop.

On 2nd thoughts however, making access to tickets/vouchers easier is a priority and seeing as profit would be made by Latics from JD selling tickets/vouchers and increasing our fanbase, Latics could allow JD to sell and make the profit on the shirts in exchange for them selling tickets.

BTW Corney has said on LW that 2 keen replacements have taken over from Gorrill who would welcomed any marketing suggestions. Doesn't help that Gorrill's email address is still on the Latics site's contact list page though, the Clubs Officials page is more helpful though, think I'll try Commercial Executive: Richard Taylor.

As Markoasis said, all local JD should be selling matchday tickets/vouchers.

Mind you I'm not sure about them selling shirts, as has been said, that just takes a nice fat profit away from the Latics shop.

On 2nd thoughts however, making access to tickets/vouchers easier is a priority and seeing as profit would be made by Latics from JD selling tickets/vouchers and increasing our fanbase, Latics could allow JD to sell and make the profit on the shirts in exchange for them selling tickets.

BTW Corney has said on LW that 2 keen replacements have taken over from Gorrill who would welcomed any marketing suggestions. Doesn't help that Gorrill's email address is still on the Latics site's contact list page though, the Clubs Officials page is more helpful though, think I'll try Commercial Executive: Richard Taylor.

yes there are some good ideas being knocked about....

i never said a shop would solve the fan base problem,but i think its a crying shame that our town centre doesnt have its number one sports teams presence up there,whatever way that maybe...

jd will already take a cut from the sales of shirts,that will already have been manufactured into the deal,latics also do a good range of polo shirts,training gear and other clothing that has the potential for mass marketing,but will only be sold at the club shop meaning that the towns wider population will never see it, and only people going into the club shop will know about it.

i do like the idea of jd selling match vouchers,redeemable before a game,this way you can get a voucher anytime during the week and pick the ticket up from the club when you arrive...i also think the club could look for other potential ticket outlets across town and maybe even in other towns,i know middleton has a good population of latics fans...

at the end of the day the club needs to be in the spotlight,local papers and radio stations,poster campaign on the towns buses and trains and even phone boxes and bus shelters,saturate the borough with the campaign and sooner or later people will catch on,let curiosity get the better of them or jog the memory of lapsed latics.