Should The Club Have A Presence In The Town Centre

edhunteruk

SHOULD THE CLUB HAVE A TOWN CENTRE PRESENCE  

140 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD THE CLUB HAVE A PRESENCE IN TOWN CENTRE

• YES THE CLUB SHOULD,IT MAY HELP WITH ATTENDANCES
    • NO,THE CLUB SHOULDNT HAVE A PRESENCE
    • NOT BOTHERED EITHER WAY

What do I maen....well a mobile van that goes to the big estates at a certain time in a given street....smacks of the ice cream van system

so, in your minds eye, you've got a van turning up in the middle of limeside playing "Mouldy Old Dough" and loads of kids running into their parents screaming "mum, dad, can I have some money for an ice crea....errr.....latics ticket?".

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, in your minds eye, you've got a van turning up in the middle of limeside playing "Mouldy Old Dough" and loads of kids running into their parents screaming "mum, dad, can I have some money for an ice crea....errr.....latics ticket?".

i understand what lags is getting at....more like the mobile library service than an ice cream van....

however i think this would lead to confrontations from the well supported premier league clubs fans that seem to support anyone and anything other than there hometown club....

but i like the idea......maybe on a different scale perhaps,but a mobile outlet that visits the town centre on say a friday and saturday mornings.......

or maybe it could visit local schools to not only publicise latics and the great offers were going to have,but to promote health awareness as well,the five a day n all that.

A shop wouldnt be financially viable. More realistic would be one of those vans that are parked bang smack outside the spindles main entrance doors (Partners/Boots side). You see them all the time for different charities, GMP, alsorts. If only to let the masses of the town centre, know when the next game is and most importantly - promoting the clubs image. Something it only does in the town centre once every blue moon when the players go for a signing session in the spindles.

The club could do loads, yet choose not to even attempt anything and then complain when attendances arent what they want/need - You cant expect people to come to you, you have to go to them. Most of it would cost next to nothing. I still dont know why the club have never knocked up a few thousand leaflets. £3/5 off with this leaflet, etc. Ask for ten fans, one from different area's of Oldham with a few hours to spare. Ask them to deliver them and in return give them a free ticket to the next game. There's plenty of kid's who deliver papers for less than what they spend to get into BP on a saturday afternoon. The cost........not a substantial lot. Infact, there's even companies locally which will knock up the leaflets and deliver them for you.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

A shop wouldnt be financially viable. More realistic would be one of those vans that are parked bang smack outside the spindles main entrance doors (Partners/Boots side). You see them all the time for different charities, GMP, alsorts. If only to let the masses of the town centre, know when the next game is and most importantly - promoting the clubs image. Something it only does in the town centre once every blue moon when the players go for a signing session in the spindles.

The club could do loads, yet choose not to even attempt anything and then complain when attendances arent what they want/need - You cant expect people to come to you, you have to go to them. Most of it would cost next to nothing. I still dont know why the club have never knocked up a few thousand leaflets. £3/5 off with this leaflet, etc. Ask for ten fans, one from different area's of Oldham with a few hours to spare. Ask them to deliver them and in return give them a free ticket to the next game. There's plenty of kid's who deliver papers for less than what they spend to get into BP on a saturday afternoon. The cost........not a substantial lot. Infact, there's even companies locally which will knock up the leaflets and deliver them for you.

They should even get out to the market days in places like Shaw, Royton etc during the week and focus on the town centre on Friday/Saturday.

There two JD's in Oldham and two in Ashton that the club could utilize.

Firstly, make homes tickets available there, I am sure that either physically issue a ticket or at least a voucher to use on match days to collect the ticket (if you have choosen the main stand which is allocated seats)

secondly, make sure there is some Latics items actually on sale in the shop ..... least I expect is the shirts

There two JD's in Oldham and two in Ashton that the club could utilize.

Firstly, make homes tickets available there, I am sure that either physically issue a ticket or at least a voucher to use on match days to collect the ticket (if you have choosen the main stand which is allocated seats)

secondly, make sure there is some Latics items actually on sale in the shop ..... least I expect is the shirts

The most we will get is a couple of shirts shoved in a back corner... its stupid to expect otherwise, unfortunately JD is one of the Chaviest (word?) shops on the planet, shove an Oldham shirt in the front window and it alienates 90% of their customer base, who will all claim to support ManUtd - despite not being able to name more than 5 of their players...

I cant see how promoting Oldham in any JD shop will do any of us any favours... you may sell a couple of extra shirts, but that probably depends on individual store managers....

A shop in Oldham aint gonna work... there just isnt the customer base.... might sound odd, but its true. All latics fans will buy merchandise from the club shop on matchdays, and I just fail to believe there is enough passing trade, who would on a whim suddenly become interested in attending matches...or go ooh, an oldham pennant, how lovely, I'll biy that.....

marketing needs to have a reason, and an attraction, get the team playing well, get an offer of some sort, and do concentrated marketing for that - you have to make the proposition attractive. If you get an offer, and we are still playing well, then do a concerted effort to flood the town - the chron, one of the hireable areas in the spindles, hot girls handing out flyers etc.... one big hit is better than a pointless drip-feed.

Just shoving a pointless shop in an apathetic town for no reason, will do exactly nothing.

:grin: Selling blueys and knock off Chris taylor 'I was there' T shirts round the back

isn't there a councillor who supports latics? someone should contact him and get permission to have a van/stall out side Spindles free of charge .

Bring back John Batty :)

Edited by BP1960

The most we will get is a couple of shirts shoved in a back corner... its stupid to expect otherwise, unfortunately JD is one of the Chaviest (word?) shops on the planet, shove an Oldham shirt in the front window and it alienates 90% of their customer base, who will all claim to support ManUtd - despite not being able to name more than 5 of their players...

I cant see how promoting Oldham in any JD shop will do any of us any favours... you may sell a couple of extra shirts, but that probably depends on individual store managers....

A shop in Oldham aint gonna work... there just isnt the customer base.... might sound odd, but its true. All latics fans will buy merchandise from the club shop on matchdays, and I just fail to believe there is enough passing trade, who would on a whim suddenly become interested in attending matches...or go ooh, an oldham pennant, how lovely, I'll biy that.....

marketing needs to have a reason, and an attraction, get the team playing well, get an offer of some sort, and do concentrated marketing for that - you have to make the proposition attractive. If you get an offer, and we are still playing well, then do a concerted effort to flood the town - the chron, one of the hireable areas in the spindles, hot girls handing out flyers etc.... one big hit is better than a pointless drip-feed.

Just shoving a pointless shop in an apathetic town for no reason, will do exactly nothing.

good points.

i've been going for 20 years (f**k i'm getting old), about half of which I've had a season ticket, and in that time I bought the 1990-91 top (I was 15) and the dark blue 3rd kit top (reduced) in February, purely because I was going travelling and wanted a Latics top to wear in photos at certain world landmarks.

during good times this idea would be workable albeit as a loss leader.

at the moment - you're having a laugh.

QUOTE(boboafc @ Aug 25 2008, 19:11 PM)

isn't there a councillor who supports latics? someone should contact him and get permission to have a van/stall out side Spindles free of charge .

that might cause traffic problems.

It depends where the councillor lives :grin:

what worries me is that i say a similar discussion last season about this, and came up with very much the same answers, either a town centre shop (cost too much and wouldnt cover them!) or advertise in surrounding places like Shaw, Royton etc.

Personally i think this would be a better idea, may sound like a bad start but why not get a mobile van/stand and cover market days/fridays and get the passing trade, costs would be low for this and i'm sure you could get some lads/ladies from the college to look after it for pocket money.

But as mentioned earlier, we all came up with this last year, and nothing has happened, wasnt Sean Jarvis once responsible for all this, since he left who's took his job?

John,

The last figures I had for those outlets in Spindles, which admittedly was 7 or 8 years ago, was that the smallest unit had a rental of £30,000 per year, then you have business rates, fitout and staffing costs, so you are probably looking at around £80-£90K a year.

Somehow, I don't think it is going to happen certainly within Spindles. :grin:

Cheers,

Harry

Obviously that's out of the question. How about approaching JD, or any other appropriate kind of shop, and asking for a small corner of their shop, to sell club merchandise and possibly tickets. It could be an advantage to them as they would get an increase in footfall through their shop, particularily if things pick up for the club. I understand that there could be problems with queues, but surely something could be agreed.

what worries me is that i say a similar discussion last season about this, and came up with very much the same answers, either a town centre shop (cost too much and wouldnt cover them!) or advertise in surrounding places like Shaw, Royton etc.

Personally i think this would be a better idea, may sound like a bad start but why not get a mobile van/stand and cover market days/fridays and get the passing trade, costs would be low for this and i'm sure you could get some lads/ladies from the college to look after it for pocket money.

But as mentioned earlier, we all came up with this last year, and nothing has happened, wasnt Sean Jarvis once responsible for all this, since he left who's took his job?

Was Bob Gorrell, whom we used to have, before we had back again, after we had sean jarvis, but we don't have now, because he's left as well...Get it!!!! And the crux is that neither could fill the exec boxes every game, prices though continue to rise for the privelege of going in these....All of this is INSIDE the ground and we want to find ways of getting to people OUTSIDE the ground, when we can't even utilise facilities already there. Perhaps employing someome with a bit if "nouse" rather than full of Bull.........(you now!!), with the club genuine at heart may help!

I don't understand why there are just shirts available to buy in the club shop- surely now we are partners with JD would a dummy with an Oldham shirt on of each type (Home and Away) in the front window, cause any harm? I'm sure JD's superiors would agree to that? Also as I remember there is nothing in JD's windows. It would be alot easier for people to buy merchandise and we would start cutting into United and Citys stronghold over this town. Surely this is do-able?

I'd agree that hitting up JD and local sports shops to carry our merchandise is the best bet and there is no reason why some of the bigger shops cant have a window dedicated to Latics, it's not like we'll start pinching fans from City & the scum is it? Hell, even if we did I dont think they'd notice.

Opening a shop wouldnt be viable, we've done it before when we were getting 10K crowds and that didnt work, so I dont see it working now.

Guest oa_exile

Dont know why the Club does not offer the local sport shops the merchandise on a Sale or return basis , after all their seems to be enough stock at the BP Shop.

Dont know why the Club does not offer the local sport shops the merchandise on a Sale or return basis , after all their seems to be enough stock at the BP Shop.

Its a very real danager the club could lose money doing this sort of stuff...

JD Sports etc would want a cut of the sale...and it wouldnt be a small percentage...

People are working of the principle that they would sell more merchandise this way..... I would suggest that we would sell exactly the same amount but people would opt to buy from the town centre shop as its closer....meaning the club lose money due to them not reciving all the payment...also delivery, stock management, billing, payments, admin work all shoot up...costing money...

I think you get the picture....its a big gamble....and one i dont think will pay off....

Edited by oafc0000

Guest oa_exile
Erm, haven't Streetwise sports been selling our kits and leisure wear for the past three years?

Erm , dont know have they ?