Should The Club Have A Presence In The Town Centre

edhunteruk

SHOULD THE CLUB HAVE A TOWN CENTRE PRESENCE  

140 members have voted

1. 1. SHOULD THE CLUB HAVE A PRESENCE IN TOWN CENTRE

• YES THE CLUB SHOULD,IT MAY HELP WITH ATTENDANCES
    • NO,THE CLUB SHOULDNT HAVE A PRESENCE
    • NOT BOTHERED EITHER WAY

ok,with certain rumblings in the press recently( todays chron) and mr corneys repeated rallying cry for more fans through the turnstyles.....

do you think the club needs a presence in the town centre....like a one stop latics shop.....that basically sells kit and everything else latics related..

but also sells match day tickets and away tickets and possibly travel incentives as well......

i feel this would be more likely to get the extra fans back to bp better than ranting in the papers about the lack of support,as you or a family member are more likely to go to the town centre than go out of there way to the clubs ticket office.....

Edited by edhunteruk

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

couldn't agree more.

walking around the sad excuse of a shopping centre there must be about 10 outlets closed.

ok..the cost might not be welcome,but shouldn't the shopping centre be looking to fill one on a temp basis with a veiw to a longer term?

some of these outlets have been empty for years.

if not the spindles,even a small shop central will help.

couldn't agree more.

walking around the sad excuse of a shopping centre there must be about 10 outlets closed.

ok..the cost might not be welcome,but shouldn't the shopping centre be looking to fill one on a temp basis with a veiw to a longer term?

Does it have to be a shop? How about a couple of scantily dressed maidens in the pedestrianised area giving out free tickets to kids accompanied by a full paying adult? Or even a free programme voucher? Or even a "Mums and Sons" ticket for £15?

couldn't agree more.

John,

The last figures I had for those outlets in Spindles, which admittedly was 7 or 8 years ago, was that the smallest unit had a rental of £30,000 per year, then you have business rates, fitout and staffing costs, so you are probably looking at around £80-£90K a year.

Somehow, I don't think it is going to happen certainly within Spindles. :grin:

Cheers,

Harry

On the assumption that it makes more than it costs, yes.

What sort of presence did you have in mind?

Hughsey in Primark's window up to 1.30pm on matchday?

obviously on the assumption it makes more,but also could increase attendance..

like i have said elswhere....you or a family member are more likely to go to the town centre than go out of the way to the clubs ticket office....

if its done right it could be a huge sucess.....and if its a concern over costs,maybe a joint venture with the rugby club as well.......

the current club shop is ok.....but unless its match day or your making a special trip its out of the way...a shop in the town centre could sell much more than the current club shop sells,from current kit to training kit and everything else...even football boots astro turf boots and trainers....

but most importantly have a ticket office,offer the match day ticker for £18..... and showcase other offers or discounts.......get together with a finance company to off the latics credit card or something,sign up and get a free game or signed shirt or ball........but at least it will be noticed.

you have to admit at present the club isnt in the minds of most oldham folk,just those that attend games,and its that what has to change

i'm not unwise to the fact that its expensive there...but if the spindles management prefer a outlet filled on a discounted basis,other than an empty one,thats their problem.

another option would to have a section in the jd sports shop there for latics.

great idea......

also it doesnt have to be in the spindles does it.......could be anywhere where the majority of people walk past.....

but there should be something,most other clubs have one.

It would certainly help create new young blues. I my old job I used to do supply work all around Oldham. I found my self going into areas as far as Shaw and crompton and yet the young kids were al Man You fans and knew sod all about latics.

Now why is this? I'll tell you why. Marketing.

I know we can't cmpete with super powers, but, a club shop in the town centre a bill board here and there or even on the side of first buses! We need to spread the club.

Young kids are going into JJB or whatever shopit may be and being drawn to a big MAN YOU section of merchandising or CIty.

This really needs addressing!

for jd sports to allow a section for latics is a win/win situation.

more customers in their shop...passing trade via the latics section can result in business for themselves also.

and as jd sports are now fully connected to the club again,they really should be encouraging this type of situation...its for the good of both jd sports and latics.

Edited by johnny punkster

Didnt Oldham rugby have a shop at the top of the ramp in spindles just around the corner from HMV opposite TJ Hughes. Not sure if its still there, was only very small mind.

When ive been in the club shop recently they do have some half decent merchandise now, definitely be good if we could get a presence in the town centre but were fighting hard against all the other clubs which surround us the two manc clubs, bury, huddersfield, rochdale, bolton its not easy at all. Carlisle getting 9000 gates being right up at the top of the lake district.

There is a lot of apathy though partially because weve been in this league longer than anyone else and weve flattered to deceive at times. We need to change peoples opinions by whatever means, special offers, better advertising (i know there were a few ads in the chron last term) and persuading family/friends to get involved.

Chester City have recently opened such a shop in the centre of Chester. Now there's a city where there is virtually no interest in football. It will be interesting to see how that one goes.

Darlington and Wycombe both had and probably still have shops in the town centre, due to the fact their stadiums are out of town. BP could almost be classed as out of town and therefore the benefits of a town centre store would be that it raises the profile of the Club and also encourages impulse buying. Worth a try IMO if the costs could be covered.

Didnt Oldham rugby have a shop at the top of the ramp in spindles just around the corner from HMV opposite TJ Hughes. Not sure if its still there, was only very small mind.

When ive been in the club shop recently they do have some half decent merchandise now, definitely be good if we could get a presence in the town centre but were fighting hard against all the other clubs which surround us the two manc clubs, bury, huddersfield, rochdale, bolton its not easy at all. Carlisle getting 9000 gates being right up at the top of the lake district.

There is a lot of apathy though partially because weve been in this league longer than anyone else and weve flattered to deceive at times. We need to change peoples opinions by whatever means, special offers, better advertising (i know there were a few ads in the chron last term) and persuading family/friends to get involved.

also last season what was a good idea was the latics forums and ask the manager nights....

maybe the club could expand on those with say a latics quiz night once a month or something,get franny involved with it or ah...offer raffles n stuff for signed shirts or tickets to up coming games....

also there could be more offers on the season ticket theme of bring a mate for a certain price......or the kid a quid etc......

i also think now the clayton arms is down the club are missing out on running latics nights or something...like the quiz night.......

personally dont think a town centre club shop is viable, although the jd sports/latics link up in a jd shop is a very good idea imo, and certainly worth looking into.

is there a jd in town, or is it just the retail park?

if you dont know where the jd shop is in oldham town centre then whats the point of putting a latics section in it!!!!

On the assumption that it makes more than it costs, yes.

What sort of presence did you have in mind?

Hughsey in Primark's window up to 1.30pm on matchday?

Why not have a presence in Morrisons, Azda, or Tesco's...every single family makes at least one trip a week to the local supermarket. If the outlet ties ticket offers into selected products or customers spend then it may cost the club little or nothing at all!!

I'd much prefer the club taking itself to the people. What do I maen....well a mobile van that goes to the big estates at a certain time in a given street....smacks of the ice cream van system but I really do think some folks are just to lazy. If the chron is now the clubs paper partner print details in there or run your promotions via it.