Attracting new fans........

after last night goings on ,do you really want free kids?

1 Free kid with a full price paying adult, extra kids for £2 each with an adult bought in advance. On the day 1st Kid £1 extra, 2nd kid £2.50

I think I was probably the one who first suggested the 10 match ticket - I proudly stole it from Stockport's site (a side that have grown their home crowd to higher that Latics since introducing them).

I don't doubt Latics could vary the terms to suit the ground layout at BP and also exclude fixtures where they could attract fans for full price on the day (e.g. Leeds).

This is what it says for Stockport:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

- £120 per person for 10 matches (normal price is £15 a game)

- Vouchers MUST be exchanged for a valid match ticket at the ticket office prior to kick-off.

- 'Super 10' vouchers may be exchanged for Stockport County home league matches only.

- Match tickets will be for either the Cheadle End or Pop Side - 'Super 10' is NOT valid for exchange for the Hardcastle Road Stand.

- Only one voucher (per book) can be redeemed per game.

- Vouchers can only be redeemed when presented COMPLETE and with the whole 'Super 10' wallet.

- Unfortunately, lost 'Super 10' tickets cannot be replaced under any circumstances.

- 'Super 10' tickets are the equivalent to ten individual match tickets, and do not carry the same additional rights as a season ticket.

- Exchange of a 'Super 10' voucher for a valid match ticket is subject to availability for any given match. For any all ticket matches, or likely sell out games, purchasers are advised to exchange their voucher prior to the matchday to avoid disappointment.

- 'Super 10' vouchers can only be exchanged for a match ticket PRIOR to a match. No refund can be given against a ticket purchased for a match. There will be no cash reimbursement for unused vouchers.

Full link:

http://www.stockportcounty.premiumtv.co.uk...1034953,00.html

WHat happened to the thread a few months back full of ideas to attract new fans? Have the club looked into the viability of any of the suggestions made?

after reading what went on with the morecambe fans and the stewards and the fact we havent now won for 3 games and we dont appear to be as good as we thought we were, also the injuries, then methinks the 20 quid will stay in the back pocket a little while longer.

One of the biggest problems is that we lose kids that we have nutured as Latics fans when they reach the age of 17 who can't get a child rate season ticket. What happens is that they drift away. They can get a student card which entitles them to entry at £11 per game, but if a suitably priced season ticket was introduced for under 21s we would have a better chance of keeping them as attending fans as they progress into adulthood. I know of several home and away fans having reached the age of 17 who haven't been this season. They are still studying full time and basically can't afford it. The days of leaving school at 16 and moving into a full time paid job have long gone and at that age they have an increasing number of competing demands on their finances.

One of the biggest problems is that we lose kids that we have nutured as Latics fans when they reach the age of 17 who can't get a child rate season ticket. What happens is that they drift away. They can get a student card which entitles them to entry at £11 per game, but if a suitably priced season ticket was introduced for under 21s we would have a better chance of keeping them as attending fans as they progress into adulthood. I know of several home and away fans having reached the age of 17 who haven't been this season. They are still studying full time and basically can't afford it. The days of leaving school at 16 and moving into a full time paid job have long gone and at that age they have an increasing number of competing demands on their finances.

This a good point - especially when the leaving age goes up to 18 in a few years.

Er I thought there was this intermediate ticket thing for those under 19 and a student scheme for those (like me) still in uni, they are very similar in price to a concessions ticket. But the intermediate ticket is only availible in season ticket form (not pay on the day- which may get a few more in).

I like the idea of vouchers in the Chron but can we use another source as even when I'm in Heywood (where i live when i'm not in uni) I'm not going to spend more money on petrol to drive to Oldham to pick up a chron so I can save 50p to go watch Oldham. I've said this time and time again on here (and will keep doing so until someone listens) the Chron is not good enough marketing as it is very hard to get hold of outside of Oldham and only Latics fans are going to buy it (who will be probably going anyway) outside of Oldham. Does anyone in Oldham buy the Bury Times, Rochdale Observer, etc. So why do we expect those people in Rochdale, Bury etc to buy the Chron. We are the best team (excluding those two teams with Manchester in their names) for about 30 miles (and a lot easier to get to) marketing oursleves better than Bury, Rochdale, Stockport, etc. should not be hard but yet we still don't do it. The MEN is now free in Manchester and so more people will read it but the only time I have ever seen an advert for Oldham in there is when we played Leeds last year (which was the one league game we needed to promote the least). Keep using the Chron by all means as it may work and is probably not that expensive but don't just use the Chron.

As for other media forms how many people on here have looked at the Bury, Rochdale etc. website today. So why do we expect those fans of other teams to look at our website or those that don't follow football. The website is well run and can provide a useful source of income through adverts (especially on transfer deadline days and the like). But it is not a marketing tool. Adverts on hordings, by sides of roads, in pub toilets (JW Lees owe us) work (otherwise they wouldn't be there and always in use) yet I have never ever seen one for Oldham. Schemes like 10 game bulk tickets (a great idea for any exiles- who will probably go anyway) only work if you get enough interest to cover costs and administration and the only way to do that (apart from those that have gone before and might well be going to enough games for it not to be a good idea for the club- so aren't new fans) is through marketing.

Another point I've made before is I'm sure people on here know which pubs/bars/clubs etc. show live football at 3pm on a saturday via a foreign feed something that is illegal. If people are watching Man U/ Citeh on a TV they are not paying £x to watch Oldham. If these pubs were reported to the cops this option would no longer be open (it would probably not only benefit us but also the likes of Bury, Rochdale, Stockport etc.). For the price of a free phone call (are you telling me that Alan Hardy doesn't speak to senior policemen) we might make oursleves £20 (and that's if 1 adult goes to watch us for 1 game nevermind more for more games). TV (especially foreign tv) has not helped football at our level and with the foreign investment it will only get worse its about time football did something to pay it back.

The club often comes out with stories about how people went to see 1 Oldham game and liked it so much they've been coming back for x number of years (some Londoners bought the club on the strength of not that many games). Public transport links to the ground are not that great (but will get better) but private transport access is superb and yet the club seems content to only try and get new supporters from walking distance (or where the public transport is OK). I know people in other nearby areas might prefer to support their local team but some might come if there was a deal they knew about and their team aren't playing (if they have a team). It probably only takes one or two of these people to come back for any marketing/schemes to be of benefit. After the fuss of Morecombe free/ridiculously cheap tickets for kids is probably not that high on the clubs priority list but when Oldham were doing them when i was still in school I was unhappy because I went to school in Bury I couldn't badger some of my mates to come and they might have if it was free. Some schools outside Oldham have people living close enough to BP for free tickets to work but I never heard about the club visiting them. (Oh and BTW these children might be better behaved than those last night).

Any offer/scheme is only as good as its marketing and by now almost all of the people of Oldham who are going to be drawn in by any scheme will have done so. Even when we had the one pound games we didn't fill BP. Its about time we started looking elsewhere for new fans. But the easiest way to attract new fans is SUCCESS and after our start we are 12% of the way towards upping our average gate by about 1,000

I know the club are giving awa 600 tickets for young readers and their parents in October - Scunny game I think.

The key is getting them to come back - e.g. half price tickets if they pay for the next two games on the day would be an idea - let's see if the club have an innovation up their sleeves.

I know the club are giving awa 600 tickets for young readers and their parents in October - Scunny game I think.

The key is getting them to come back - e.g. half price tickets if they pay for the next two games on the day would be an idea - let's see if the club have an innovation up their sleeves.

I don't think we should be waiting to see what the club does to be honest. Get that idea in to AH, the club has let chances like this pass it by far too many times. I agree with jsslatic that we need to use other media sources other than the Chron. In Leyland, the Leyland Guardian and The Citizen are constantly reporting on PNE games and I would assume that they get their share of coverage in towns like Chorley as well. Also why haven't we got any advertising boards in Oldham publicising offers and upcoming games? In Leeds where I live for most of the year, LUFC advertisements are all over the place. There was a giant board right outside the halls I lived in last year alongside a busy road that went towards the centre. If people never hear anything about us or what's coming up what's going to make them come and see for themselves, they probably won't ever even think about Oldham Athletic. We need to get ourselves in the publics mind. Then we might start seeing some more curious pay on the dayers who will hopefully get hooked.

I don't think we should be waiting to see what the club does to be honest. Get that idea in to AH, the club has let chances like this pass it by far too many times. I agree with jsslatic that we need to use other media sources other than the Chron. In Leyland, the Leyland Guardian and The Citizen are constantly reporting on PNE games and I would assume that they get their share of coverage in towns like Chorley as well. Also why haven't we got any advertising boards in Oldham publicising offers and upcoming games? In Leeds where I live for most of the year, LUFC advertisements are all over the place. There was a giant board right outside the halls I lived in last year alongside a busy road that went towards the centre. If people never hear anything about us or what's coming up what's going to make them come and see for themselves, they probably won't ever even think about Oldham Athletic. We need to get ourselves in the publics mind. Then we might start seeing some more curious pay on the dayers who will hopefully get hooked.

It's nice to know someone agrees with me, though I'm not sure where you've got this from...