why I'm starting to believe...

Whilst trying to avoid saying the obvious cliche of good teams winning whilst playing badly, that is pretty much what happened. We beat a pretty decent team, even though no-one played a stormer: Taylor and Whittaker were quiet, Ruebs, although superb as usual defensively, hoofed it more than usual, neither of the front two were at their best and even MOM ratter's passing wasn't up to his usual standards. There were so many home games like that against middling opposition last season, the only difference is that last season we would have drawn or even lost that game. The difference seems to be the attitude of the players as a team; last season after an early goal we always sat back and invited pressure until the inevitable equaliser. Yesterday, however, we kept the pace up and always offered options going forward, and the workrate was superb defensively, with players covering each other all over the park. That kind of workrate was only reserved for the 'bigger' games last year and hence we always tend to do well agains the likes of Leeds and the dippers. That's why I think yesterday was such an important result and standard to set.

It's interesting that of all the new signings, only Whitts is catching, but the depth in squad is meaning that everyone knows that they have to put in that effort every game or there's someone to replace them; for example I think that Liddell is playing the best football he has for us, knowing that Deano is ready and waiting to take his place.

Whilst trying to avoid saying the obvious cliche of good teams winning whilst playing badly, that is pretty much what happened. We beat a pretty decent team, even though no-one played a stormer: Taylor and Whittaker were quiet, Ruebs, although superb as usual defensively, hoofed it more than usual, neither of the front two were at their best and even MOM ratter's passing wasn't up to his usual standards. There were so many home games like that against middling opposition last season, the only difference is that last season we would have drawn or even lost that game. The difference seems to be the attitude of the players as a team; last season after an early goal we always sat back and invited pressure until the inevitable equaliser. Yesterday, however, we kept the pace up and always offered options going forward, and the workrate was superb defensively, with players covering each other all over the park. That kind of workrate was only reserved for the 'bigger' games last year and hence we always tend to do well agains the likes of Leeds and the dippers. That's why I think yesterday was such an important result and standard to set.

It's interesting that of all the new signings, only Whitts is catching, but the depth in squad is meaning that everyone knows that they have to put in that effort every game or there's someone to replace them; for example I think that Liddell is playing the best football he has for us, knowing that Deano is ready and waiting to take his place.

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on the game there; I would add that next weeks game against the Monkey Hangers is another test we need to pass. If we are genuine contenders that's the sort of game we need to win, away at what will probably be a mid table side, in years gone by we have lost or only taken a point in these types of games.

Agreed.

Perhaps becuase we are Top of the Table, every game feels like a 'Big Game ' to the lads and therefore they are all very up for it? Its a possibility, as the big game performance is something that many teams seem to fall into, and then promptly drop their level next time out against bottom half teams.

As for only Whittts catching - the consistent team from the good finish last season and the start of this is key for me. New players en masse never seems to work as its takes 5-10 games for the team to gel, we are seeing the benefit of a stable team for the most part.

You've pretty much summed up my thoughts on the game there; I would add that next weeks game against the Monkey Hangers is another test we need to pass. If we are genuine contenders that's the sort of game we need to win, away at what will probably be a mid table side, in years gone by we have lost or only taken a point in these types of games.

I agree it'll be a toughie next week, but a point wouldn't be a disaster with three of the next four following games at BP. At least another 9 or 10 out of the next 15 will see us bobbing along nicely in the top 2. Leicester's bubble of invincibilty has burst and despite their very good start they may be beginning to realise that they will be playing in another 41 cup finals, at least in the oppos eyes this season, Leeds have run into form again, yet their reputation will ensure they drop enough points not to be top two. Scunny are the ones i'm worried about, full of goals and yet again they've signed an unknown in Hooper and he's bagging regularly. As for us, i'm pleased with our start, BUT that's all it is. What is encouraging is we've developed a steely resolve this year and that is an important attribute in getting out of this league. Luton, Plymouth, Scunny, Col U, Southend etc all had it so that's a useful tool to have in our locker. Especially when we can go to Tranmere without Hughes and grind out a win. Promotion is won by teams that can keep the goals out, scoring is important but if you don't concede you are guaranteed at least a point and that augers well.

I got carried away in 06/07 around the Swansea away win period, this time my feet are firmly rooted on the ground. The football so far isn't as good as that season so far BUT that team wouldn't have won the games at Tranmere, at home to the Dons and nicked that point at COL U or come back vs Millwall. I stand by with my comments of a couple of weeks back that said like the 90/91 team this group of players has balls to stand up and be counted when they need to, but they can play football too. Keep the spine fit of Lardarse, Greegs, Lidds, Allott and Hughes and we'll be up there, no doubt about it!

Edited by oafcprozac

Hartlepool away, a win would be nice, but I'd still be happy with a point. Win at home, draw away...

Why are we doing so well?

1) The owners have invested in good players and a deeper squad.

2) Danny Whitaker (still a bit concerned that if he gets a knock or gets lazy we will lack the creative spark that he has brought us)

3) Players knowing that if they don't perform, they may not get back in the side (Craig Davies)

4) A genuine strike partnership between Hughes and Allesandra, rather than simply having two strikers on the pitch.

5) Chris Taylor learning he can go outside a man as well as cutting in from the left.

6) Not just passing the ball, but passing the ball forwards. Wide, diagonally, centrally. Different options to pull defences all over the place.

7) A continuation of a strong defence that doesn't give too much away - they ain't perfect, but they are as good as any other in this division.

It's good to watch too.

Saturday's performance was by no means poor, just not as good as we have enjoyed this season. But it was an excellent game, MK Dons did well to stifle our strengths (Taylor and Whitaker for me) and if they'd taken their chances we could have lost. But over 97 minutes I thought Latics wanted it more. That wanting it more will be the difference between automatic promotion and the play-offs.

After the dreadful performance last year ... the players won't need motivating for this one

That kind of workrate was only reserved for the 'bigger' games last year and hence we always tend to do well agains the likes of Leeds and the dippers. That's why I think yesterday was such an important result and standard to set.

The acid test us at grounds like Hartlepool, where Latics never seem to fare well.

right. we are top of the league and your still moaning what do the lads need to do to make you happy. if we was bottom you'd be moaning and now we're top and your still moaning.

right. we are top of the league and your still moaning what do the lads need to do to make you happy. if we was bottom you'd be moaning and now we're top and your still moaning.

I wasn't moaning at all! Read the name of the thread... I was praising the great work rate and team ethic that appears to be there, that was lacking in similar games last season. I know it is assumed that every thread on here has to start with a moan, but I'm one of those rare breed that doesn't moan, despite sitting in the main stand.

:grin::grin::grin: Do other teams have supporters who post ridiculously stupid and unwarranted accusations?

It's true that only Whitaker of the new boys is starting, but compare the pecking order in the strikers - probably at the start of the season with everyone fit it went along the lines of Hughes - Davies - O'Grady - Alessandra. Now it looks like Hughes - Alesandra - O'Grady - Davies. And let's not forget DW had to take Maher's place from him. It goes to show that the competition for places is genuine.