The Daniel Jones art of defending...

This is not a criticism of the lad as I think he's done extremely well under the circumstances...however, tomorrow will be interesting to see how he copes.

The reason I say that is because so far, to me, his style of defending has seemed to be one of letting the winger have the space but to make sure he doesn't get in behind. Against Stockport and Hereford, he didn't attempt to close the winger down that much but seemed to say to him...you're not coming past me (and they didn't) but you can swing in the ball if you think you're good enough. Sadly at Stockport they were good enough (or more to the point, our defending wasn't) and vs Hereford, well, they weren't very good. It's the sort of defending which probably works at a higher level, in that, the full back is probably happy if the cross comes in as they rely on the GK coming to punch or claim it, or for their defender to win it. Having missed Gregan, that style of defending hurt us a little I felt at Stockport and it could do tomorrow if both Gregan and Hazell aren't switched on. We shall see...

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this style of defending from Jones...which would you rather...him close the winger down so the cross doesn't come in, or make sure he never gets in behind but invite the cross and hope our CB's win the ball?

This is not a criticism of the lad as I think he's done extremely well under the circumstances...however, tomorrow will be interesting to see how he copes.

The reason I say that is because so far, to me, his style of defending has seemed to be one of letting the winger have the space but to make sure he doesn't get in behind. Against Stockport and Hereford, he didn't attempt to close the winger down that much but seemed to say to him...you're not coming past me (and they didn't) but you can swing in the ball if you think you're good enough. Sadly at Stockport they were good enough (or more to the point, our defending wasn't) and vs Hereford, well, they weren't very good. It's the sort of defending which probably works at a higher level, in that, the full back is probably happy if the cross comes in as they rely on the GK coming to punch or claim it, or for their defender to win it. Having missed Gregan, that style of defending hurt us a little I felt at Stockport and it could do tomorrow if both Gregan and Hazell aren't switched on. We shall see...

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this style of defending from Jones...which would you rather...him close the winger down so the cross doesn't come in, or make sure he never gets in behind but invite the cross and hope our CB's win the ball?

With regard to the Stockport game I don't agree with you BB.

The goal that came down our left was from a long throw, where the ball was flicked on in a challenge against Byrne and we failed to defend the proverbial second ball. I don't recall us having to defend too many crosses from Stockports right wing.

When you say he stands off the man and gives him space, I think its more a case of a different way of defending* as he seems to have pace to burn and feels that if the winger wants to try and take him on, he already has a yard or 2 start and with his own pace it means that the winger is unlikely to go past him resulting in 1 dimensional crossing ala Lids. However, as we have seen particularly at this level not many wingers in the 3rd division have Lidds's crossing prowess. So I do agree with you about the way he defends and yes tomorrow will be more of a test of how good he is however, for me, that goes for the whole team.

* If you recall the early nineties under big Joe, Ricky Holden in particular was a bugger for a full back to defend against. Like Lids, he lacked a little pace, but his ability to cross the ball with both feet from anywhere down his side of the pitch, meant that the full back invariably had to get close to him, resulting in Holdens lack of pace not mattering as he was able to bamboozle the full back going 1 way and then the other often resulting in the defender ending up on his backside. It would be an interesting test of Jones's defendingstyle coming up against the likes of Holden. I'm sure we'd here a few shouts from the crowd of something along the lines of "for :censored:'s sake Jones get :censored: close and get a :censored: tackle in."

Cheers,

Harry

With regard to the Stockport game I don't agree with you BB.

The goal that came down our left was from a long throw, where the ball was flicked on in a challenge against Byrne and we failed to defend the proverbial second ball. I don't recall us having to defend too many crosses from Stockports right wing.

When you say he stands off the man and gives him space, I think its more a case of a different way of defending* as he seems to have pace to burn and feels that if the winger wants to try and take him on, he already has a yard or 2 start and with his own pace it means that the winger is unlikely to go past him resulting in 1 dimensional crossing ala Lids. However, as we have seen particularly at this level not many wingers in the 3rd division have Lidds's crossing prowess. So I do agree with you about the way he defends and yes tomorrow will be more of a test of how good he is however, for me, that goes for the whole team.

* If you recall the early nineties under big Joe, Ricky Holden in particular was a bugger for a full back to defend against. Like Lids, he lacked a little pace, but his ability to cross the ball with both feet from anywhere down his side of the pitch, meant that the full back invariably had to get close to him, resulting in Holdens lack of pace not mattering as he was able to bamboozle the full back going 1 way and then the other often resulting in the defender ending up on his backside. It would be an interesting test of Jones's defendingstyle coming up against the likes of Holden. I'm sure we'd here a few shouts from the crowd of something along the lines of "for :censored:'s sake Jones get :censored: close and get a :censored: tackle in."

Cheers,

Harry

I thought in the 2nd half at Stockport, we did have a few crosses to deal with than in the 1st. Probably also due to a long tiring day for Jones...but true, the goals didn't come from them. Was more a case of not dealing with their throw ins...however, as you say, it is his confidence in his pace that allows him to defend in that style. Something I think is more akin to higher league football...and I agree, the crosses at this level are probably far less effective when they do come in.

Leicester is a different kettle of fish though...I'd like to see him closer in tomorrow and stopping the cross early. And the times he doesn't stop the cross, Greegs and The Nut deal with it. Gunna be interesting to see...coz he's a different class to this level so it'll be interesting to see how well a higher level/different style of defending works at this level (if that makes sense.)

you've been giving Lidds plenty of grief over 18 months for never beating a man! Therfore Jones (in your book) has not done his job....don't get it?

I would imagine that a talented footballer like jones, with experience, will get tight when he needs to (depending on the opponent) and gives a yard at other times (depending on opponent!)

you've been giving Lidds plenty of grief over 18 months for never beating a man! Therfore Jones (in your book) has not done his job....don't get it?

I would imagine that a talented footballer like jones, with experience, will get tight when he needs to (depending on the opponent) and gives a yard at other times (depending on opponent!)

Eh? The roles are totally different...Jones is stopping a willing winger passing him...Lids gets stick for not being the willing winger. You been drinking? :wink:

As for...."he'll get tight when he needs to (depending on the opponent) and gives a yard at other times (depending on opponent!)"

I'm sure he probably will...that's what I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow. Going to be an insight into how good he is/can be etc. Hence the discussion and not criticism...

Eh? The roles are totally different...Jones is stopping a willing winger passing him...Lids gets stick for not being the willing winger. You been drinking? :wink:

As for...."he'll get tight when he needs to (depending on the opponent) and gives a yard at other times (depending on opponent!)"

I'm sure he probably will...that's what I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow. Going to be an insight into how good he is/can be etc. Hence the discussion and not criticism...

SShhhhhh....you're interupting my poker!! :D and stockports wingers weren't willing!!!(they just put crosses in, it works sometimes doesn't it!) Edited by futchers briefs

That's coz it's talking in depth about football...something which I've noted you know :censored: all about by some of your posts on here! :grin:

haha yeh good one

as it always is on here ooo hes young therefore he knows nothing about football

brilliant

Edited : reason for edit: I used some sort of young terminology that wouldnt have been understood by old "set in their ways" people"

Edited by razza699

re the original post - exactly eardley's failings!!! space for the winger to cross and never a block in sight!

Yeah but according to Setanta on Tuesday "Ardley's" natural position is centre half so no wonder he's no good at blocking wingers, we're playing him out of position at full back. Lazy inaccurate lower league coverage at its best.

Yeah but according to Setanta on Tuesday "Ardley's" natural position is centre half so no wonder he's no good at blocking wingers, we're playing him out of position at full back. Lazy inaccurate lower league coverage at its best.

yeah but Setanta said we would finnish 17th this season, I think Eardley is naturally a central midfielder