standing in the RRE

Guest sheridans_world
but for christ sake why does that person have to stand in he blody first place if you wanna stand go watch non league

I'm looking forward to Bristol Rovers tomorrow, because I get to stand without being shouted at. I enjoyed going to saltergate several times and also enjoyed going to Barrow in the pre-season friendly last season.

I have never known a 'standing' boundary park, but I would definatley stand on the remains of the lookers if they were to open it as a standing area (say if we went up). I'm not too sure of the rules of the taylor report and I could be wrong but I believe that once you have gone all-seater you cant go back so I doubt I will ever get to stand on the lookers paddock.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those of you talking about redevelopment to incorporate safe standing areas are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Such redevelopment would cost a fortune, and I don't see any club clammering for such a change (even the Premiership clubs).

The club's are in the comfort zone of being able to outwardly agree with their supporters, but safe in the knowledge that they are never going to have to consider splashing the cash because the authorities won't let them anyway.

Fact: representatives of the Football Licensing Authority (inc. the Chief Executive) were present against Leicester; they cannot have failed to have seen the scale of the persistent standing problem - don't be surprised if there are repercussions. At the very least they will require the local authority to monitor the situation further and report back. Ultimately the FLA can require the local authority to punish the club by reducing the safe capacities of the areas concerned (let's not go down that road) - just use a bit of common sense; there was no problem at the Hereford game because people were prepared to sit down when told.

My attitude has changed, I used to stand in the Chaddy or the main stand paddock and was totally against all seater stadium as it was part of a concerted attempt by the Thatcher government to change football. Footie fans were seen as part of "the enemy within" and I wanted no part of it, it was also predicted that this would see gate prices rise, which it has. Not many of us realised that it would also lead to the bourgeoisification of the game and change the atmosphere to the extent it has.

But now? It was a couple of seasons ago at Chesterfield when I realised that standing wasn't for me anymore as it is a real ball-ache. I can't stand standing at gigs anymore either, enjoy it much more in seats, I haven't had to have the mad rush to get to the game or the gig to make sure I get a good spot as my spot is printed on the ticket. I can't stand going to the cinema now either as thereis the rush to get there early to get a decent seat, have to sit through the trailers and adverts and I can't stand either but what is worse are the bellends who turn up 5 mins before the film starts and fanny about trying to get all their group sitting together or the world's tallest man sits right in front of me.

At the match though I will stand if we get a corner or are attacking or after a bad tackle - the flash points that are allowed under the law/ground regs then I sit my fat ass back down. I have no desire to goad the away fans either, grew out of that ages ago, I still sing at games and clap and get behind the team. It isn't as good as it used to be but neither are alot of things but I wouldn't go back to non-seated stadiums.

Being in the RRE hasn't been too bad this season apart from the games when we have been moved which have been bloody annoying with spending more time seeing the backs of the people in front of me than the action on the pitch. It is pretty inconsiderate of people down the front backwards to stand - they may be exercising their freedoms to enjoy the match how they want but that is at the expense of the people behind them.

You're just old matey!

(I've just finished washing out the flasks from Saturday lol).

I found the standing situation difficult on Saturday. Row DD, wheelchair behind me - standers in front. Not good.

Going back to 'older' grounds is great as you can still stand, if you're in an all seater - sit down!! Don't understand the problem. When you're animated, jump up, then sit back down as there is a good chance the poor sod behind can't see.

All it needs is a bit of 'consideration' (what's that some may ask - is it an older term) <_<

WRONG

When I stand I can sing louder !

7 tips to improve your singing voice:

http://www.cobwebaudio.co.uk/articles/voca...-voice-591.html

See Tip 2:

Your breath travels from your lungs straight up through your mouth. If its passage is twisted, kinked, or blocked in any way (i.e. by being seated), it won’t be able to get out efficiently. How you stand has a big effect on how you sound. You should be standing with your legs about shoulder-width apart. Your chest should be lifted to give your lungs plenty of room to expand. Your shoulders should be back and relaxed.

7 tips to improve your singing voice:

http://www.cobwebaudio.co.uk/articles/voca...-voice-591.html

See Tip 2:

Your breath travels from your lungs straight up through your mouth. If its passage is twisted, kinked, or blocked in any way (i.e. by being seated), it won’t be able to get out efficiently. How you stand has a big effect on how you sound. You should be standing with your legs about shoulder-width apart. Your chest should be lifted to give your lungs plenty of room to expand. Your shoulders should be back and relaxed.

So you're advocating everybody should stand up then Diego?

Going back to 'older' grounds is great as you can still stand, if you're in an all seater - sit down!! Don't understand the problem. When you're animated, jump up, then sit back down as there is a good chance the poor sod behind can't see.

All it needs is a bit of 'consideration' (what's that some may ask - is it an older term) <_<

I sort of agree with this, but being a 'shorter person', this means that I generally miss goals and chances at the RRE goal, as the person standing up for exciting moments in front of me (albeit for only about 10 seconds) blocks my view.

Saying people should only be able to stand when it gets exciting, means that people who are shorter / don't want to stand up / are in wheelchairs, miss all the exciting bits!

All I want is to stand at a football game, not all the time just when we are attacking or something good happens. I don't want to be shoved in the back by ignorant people who have no manners in asking if I would sit down. It's just not fair! Oh and I want a bottle WITH a screwcap on as well when I go to a game :disappointed:

I sort of agree with this, but being a 'shorter person', this means that I generally miss goals and chances at the RRE goal, as the person standing up for exciting moments in front of me (albeit for only about 10 seconds) blocks my view.

Saying people should only be able to stand when it gets exciting, means that people who are shorter / don't want to stand up / are in wheelchairs, miss all the exciting bits!

You have my sympathy but I, and I suspect most others, dont choose to stand for the exciting bits.....it just sort of happens!! But I remember being a kid and it is a :censored:ter when you cant see.

Were you stood at the back of the Rocky holding a youngster for the Huddersfield game? If so was it because of people standing?

I'm looking forward to Bristol Rovers tomorrow, because I get to stand without being shouted at. I enjoyed going to saltergate several times and also enjoyed going to Barrow in the pre-season friendly last season.

I have never known a 'standing' boundary park, but I would definatley stand on the remains of the lookers if they were to open it as a standing area (say if we went up). I'm not too sure of the rules of the taylor report and I could be wrong but I believe that once you have gone all-seater you cant go back so I doubt I will ever get to stand on the lookers paddock.

Not sure I'd chance from the Chaddy but a terrace at BP would give me something to think about as I totally agree with your sentiments. One of my favourite grounds in the land is Saltergate...a good travelling distance, lots of pubs nearby and a good old fashioned ground and terrace that's right on top of the pitch. It's a shame Stockport have put seats in as that was as good too. Terracing is a scapegoat for things that are bad in football...a shame. I'd much rather be stood on a terrace than sat in a white elephant like the Liberty Stadium....and can't wait for tonight....1st trip to the Memorial Ground and a lovely terrace to stand on. It's what it's all about for me...and the 3pts!

PS...

in the Chaddy Saturday (in't family bit) and got a pretty good view

Some people would lead us to believe that such a thing in the Chaddy doesn't exist :wink:

Edited by boundaryblue80

Those of you talking about redevelopment to incorporate safe standing areas are living in cloud cuckoo land.Such redevelopment would cost a fortune, and I don't see any club clammering for such a change (even the Premiership clubs).

The club's are in the comfort zone of being able to outwardly agree with their supporters, but safe in the knowledge that they are never going to have to consider splashing the cash because the authorities won't let them anyway.

Fact: representatives of the Football Licensing Authority (inc. the Chief Executive) were present against Leicester; they cannot have failed to have seen the scale of the persistent standing problem - don't be surprised if there are repercussions. At the very least they will require the local authority to monitor the situation further and report back. Ultimately the FLA can require the local authority to punish the club by reducing the safe capacities of the areas concerned (let's not go down that road) - just use a bit of common sense; there was no problem at the Hereford game because people were prepared to sit down when told.

You're right - will just have to stand in front of me seat then eh?

The way i see it is the atmosphere is alot better when people stand, and in my opinion one big reason for the way we`ve been performing at home is the atmosphere. In years gone by, when we`ve usually struggled against the Hereford`s and Cheltenham`s BP has been like a graveyard. The atmosphere is alot better with 2 stands for home fans behind the net, meaning the boys get a lift whichever end there shooting to, keep this up and hopefully we`ll turn BP into a fortress, which will have a big impact to wether we go up or not.

I understand people dont like the standing, but it`s a big enough stand to accomadate everyone`s opinions and need`s. The people who are going on about them shutting the stand need to get real, it wont happen. In reply to questions why do people stand when the other team are attacking .. probably because most of the team people are still singing .. what shall we do, sing when only Oldham are attacking.

No one has any problem with the standing during periods of excitement - it is accepted that it will happen, I bet the people in wheelchairs at the back really don't like it but are resigned to it happening. Same with the little people and children - as a sidenote, my wife is 5 foot 2, when we used to stand up at gigs she used to have a cracking view of people's shoulders and the tops of the heads of the band but any lightshow or visual effects then forget it.

Just remembered, we went to see the Pixies at the Apollo a while back as they are one of the wife's favourite bands, we were in to our seat buying stage so we got some good seats, turned at the end of the support band and sat down. As soon as Black Francis walked on stage and strapped the guitar on the people on the front row (about 10 rows in front of us) stood up, in turn the people behind them stood up then the people behind them until it got to us and we stood up. Eventually there was a block of about 10 seats wide from the front to the back of people stood up. Every other seat had people sat in them - the only reason we were stood is because of the people on the front row.

The issue people have is the standing for no reason and getting in the way of other people's view which is pretty inconsiderate.

No one has any problem with the standing during periods of excitement - it is accepted that it will happen, I bet the people in wheelchairs at the back really don't like it but are resigned to it happening. Same with the little people and children - as a sidenote, my wife is 5 foot 2, when we used to stand up at gigs she used to have a cracking view of people's shoulders and the tops of the heads of the band but any lightshow or visual effects then forget it.Just remembered, we went to see the Pixies at the Apollo a while back as they are one of the wife's favourite bands, we were in to our seat buying stage so we got some good seats, turned at the end of the support band and sat down. As soon as Black Francis walked on stage and strapped the guitar on the people on the front row (about 10 rows in front of us) stood up, in turn the people behind them stood up then the people behind them until it got to us and we stood up. Eventually there was a block of about 10 seats wide from the front to the back of people stood up. Every other seat had people sat in them - the only reason we were stood is because of the people on the front row.The issue people have is the standing for no reason and getting in the way of other people's view which is pretty inconsiderate.
don think th comparison is on the sam level as a t agig you can still here ths musid i am 6ft i just dont see th neciissity forr it, you wouldnt stand up up at thr cinema for instance -  when  pay to sit so why at football - just because  you prefer to stand, and if u did and some steward tole u to sit it would not be as much as a problem

don think th comparison is on the sam level as a t agig you can still here ths musid i am 6ft i just dont see th neciissity forr it, you wouldnt stand up up at thr cinema for instance -  when  pay to sit so why at football - just because  you prefer to stand, and if u did and some steward tole u to sit it would not be as much as a problem

Read my posts again, I'm against the persistent standing!

You're right mads and that's what i'm trying to say really, I don't condone standing - but kind of understand when we do (especially to roast crap linesmen) :grin: The consideration bit comes in if you have an 'icckle' person behind/woman/child/wheelchair user - then surely a bit of common should be used and try and sit through the game, therefore not ruining anybodys game!