crossley

So mark your going back on your original statement that he did not infact make an error to saying now he should have done better ? Just because he is experienced doesnt mean he should be playing, he could still share his experience from his coaching role, as sheridan does, maybe Shez should become player manager.

No ... what i said is that a younger keeper may have got closer to saving the first goal. Not sure many keepers would have got to it and therefore not an error in my eye's. If it was a bread and butter save for keepers that he messed up I'd say so ... but it wasn't.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fleming shouldn't be judged on the two and a half games he's played for Latics competitively. He should be judged on how he performs every day in training...how well he can claim crosses, kick, block shots and command his area in practice games.

If Shez thinks Greg's performing better in training than Norm is in games...then he'll drop Norm and bring Greg in. Some people are saying that Fleming should be given a shot to prove himself, well if Shez, who watches him every day, thinks he isn't yet up to it, then who are you to argue?

Good point I take back what I said. In Shez (and Mark) we trust

Just a little side issue regarding crossley being overweight /not fit etc - have you seen him close up (clothed of course!) he's a tall fella, but certainly doesn't look overweight close up

Was going to say just this. He obviously wasn't that fit when he joined but he is in bloody good shape for a large framed 6"3 bloke these days. I think perhaps some of our fans remember a certain Aussie, who stripped off physique had ladies sliding off their seats from 100 yards away, and forget that not many keepers look like they have spent all day in the gym. I think it's fair to say that Eastley knows more about goalkeeping than most (ie anyone) on this board, and he has said that any slight loss of agility is made up for by positioning. Trouble is that it's obvious when the agility costs a goal but not when doing the basics right makes a dangerous situation into a simple save.

dedhrseun1.gif

Bringing Guy Branston into this is just pathetic. He's gone, get over it.

I would go with this, sorry Lordy but I rate Crossley overall though it is fair that to say that he has a few weaknesses. However in this league I think he is more than up to it as LL says he reads the game well in most situations and deals with them, where many keepers will pull saves out of the top draw but then make basic mistakes. David James, Scott Carson, Robert Green, Paul Robinson or even Roy Carroll who is still rated good enough to play in the championship, anyone. BTW does being beaten from 70 yards - Ben foster mean you are a useless keeper.

Crossley's all round game bourne out of experience makes him the asset he is. Ask Greegs or Shez whose opinions do count and is generally consistent, give me Crossley over Pogs, Day, Rabchuka, Miskelly or any since Gary Kelly(Lee Grant is the exception here - he is a class above)

He gives the back four confidence and can put us on the attack quickly with his distribution.

As I said for div 3 he provides more cover, presence and exudes confidence from his defence more than most

Just my opinon

I would go with this, sorry Lordy but I rate Crossley overall though it is fair that to say that he has a few weaknesses. However in this league I think he is more than up to it as LL says he reads the game well in most situations and deals with them, where many keepers will pull saves out of the top draw but then make basic mistakes. David James, Scott Carson, Robert Green, Paul Robinson or even Roy Carroll who is still rated good enough to play in the championship, anyone. BTW does being beaten from 70 yards - Ben foster mean you are a useless keeper.

Crossley's all round game bourne out of experience makes him the asset he is. Ask Greegs or Shez whose opinions do count and is generally consistent, give me Crossley over Pogs, Day, Rabchuka, Miskelly or any since Gary Kelly(Lee Grant is the exception here - he is a class above)

He gives the back four confidence and can put us on the attack quickly with his distribution.

As I said for div 3 he provides more cover, presence and exudes confidence from his defence more than most

Just my opinon

Give me Pogs, Grant, Rachubka, Beresford, Knight anyday anyone except Crossley or Blayney or that young clown we got on loan last season.

Give me Pogs, Grant, Rachubka, Beresford, Knight anyday anyone except Crossley or Blayney or that young clown we got on loan last season.

To be fair I quite liked Pogs - but I think he made more mistakes in one game than Crossley has since he has been here - it was a home game and he was subbed to save his confidence at half time.

Beresford did ok but didn't give us anything a fit Crossley hasn't. The others just so except for Grant.

Is there more than what we are seeing on the surface to your issues with Crossley? Just interested as you have the most negative opinion of him that I have encountered. A little like mine of Mark Hughes, Keith Edwards, Mark Robins, Joe Worrall and Nigel Jemson.

To be fair I quite liked Pogs - but I think he made more mistakes in one game than Crossley has since he has been here - it was a home game and he was subbed to save his confidence at half time.

Beresford did ok but didn't give us anything a fit Crossley hasn't. The others just so except for Grant.

Is there more than what we are seeing on the surface to your issues with Crossley? Just interested as you have the most negative opinion of him that I have encountered. A little like mine of Mark Hughes, Keith Edwards, Mark Robins, Joe Worrall and Nigel Jemson.

No i actually like the guy and he seems like a good character which is good for the team, however i just feel that he is now a really incompetant goalkeeper and a liabilty. I am all for him as our goalkeeping coach however as no doubt his experience would be invaluble.

It would be boring if we all had the same opinion - so fair enough for having yours.

Personally as I have said I think he is more of an asset than a liability on the pitch and as you say good for the club off it.

Its the simple things he does to stop potentially dangerous situations without too much fuss or the over dramatic either that or maybe I am sub consciously supporting him as he is in my age range and still playing :grin:

To me it is not a position I am worried about this year though could be an issue next year. I haven't seen Fleming yet so can't make a judgement on him. Lastly I would not argue with the confidence that I have heard that most of the 1st team have in him especially our defence.

Pogs was a great guy and turned in some genuinely first class performances - Stockport away will live in the mind forever - but the fact remains that the crowd applauded him every time he didn't spoon a clearance straight to the opposition or for a throw in 10 yards in front of him whenever his confidence was down. And he was not as good as Temple at taking crosses.

Pogs was a great guy and turned in some genuinely first class performances - Stockport away will live in the mind forever - but the fact remains that the crowd applauded him every time he didn't spoon a clearance straight to the opposition or for a throw in 10 yards in front of him whenever his confidence was down. And he was not as good as Temple at taking crosses.

the king is dead......long live the temple :drinking45: