Eardley - fullback or midfield?

As a full back he scares me.

His positional sense is poor and his distribution is dismal. I think Lomax is arguably a better full back because of his understanding of the role of a full back.

I was more comfortable and more appreciative of Eardley's play during his short spell in midfield last season.

Edited by mikejh45

His positional sense is poor and his distribution is dismal. I think Lomax is arguably a better full back because of his understanding of the role of a full back.

I was more comfortable and more appreciative of Eardley's play during his short spell in midfield last season.

Leeslover will be pleased you've posted this he's been calling for Eardley to be playing in midfield since he had a few games there last season, I personally was not as convinced with him in midfield as others were, although I do agree Lomax makes an adequate replacement at RB.

If you move him in to midfield, who does he replace and why would that make the side better?

At the moment, our midfield appears to be too slow at picking up runners and also too slow at getting in the tackles. Eardley, in my opinion, would certainly pick the pace up in both defensive and offensive situations.

So you'd replace Allot then?

At the moment, yes. Not saying Eards is the man to do it... however him or maher would get a run out there for me. We all love Mark Allott, however something just isnt working in that midfield, we arent getting a foot on the ball, and players are far too far apart. Whether that means changing Allott, Whits, Lids or all three I don't know, but the balance just isnt right at the moment.

To be honest, we might just need to play different tactically - otherwise average teams will continue to hammer us in the centre of midfield like the last two games...

.. or we could just drop Liddell, at least that would make me happy... :)

I thought we played better when we passed it to each other instead of hoofing it up to our bald striker who isn't built to win headers.

A hard tackling midfield that slots through the intelligent diagonal pass, brings the wide men in to play, links up with the attack etc etc.

I still think the 4-4-2 that finished against Millwall is probably our best 11 - when they pass the big round bally thing to each other.

I thought we played better when we passed it to each other instead of hoofing it up to our bald striker who isn't built to win headers.

I remember Constantine berating the midfield/defence for the "hoof" ball last season and asking for the ball to be played no higher than chest to give him a better chance of laying it off.

Without starting to name all of the previous full backs over the years who have 'definately' scared the threppeney bit out of me, I can assure you that Eardley is DEFINATELY not one of those!!

Gives the ball away at times - yes.

Chooses wrong options - sometimes

Gets skinned by his winger - not often

I guess having Steve Finnan, Boswingha or even a re-viatlised Denis Irwin may cut some of these problems out - but as it is -Eardley is our best right back and potentially a higher level still awaits him.

There's that word again.....don't think I've ever heard anybody say Eardleys' passing is dismal.....always his 'distribution', as if he was a goalkeeper.

Just an observation like....

There's that word again.....don't think I've ever heard anybody say Eardleys' passing is dismal.....always his 'distribution', as if he was a goalkeeper.

Just an observation like....

Semantics, Stitch!!! Whether it's passing or distribution, Eardley is still dismal/dire/crap/not good/could do better/dross in this department.

Purely a personal observation, mind!!!

Semantics, Stitch!!! Whether it's passing or distribution, Eardley is still dismal/dire/crap/not good/could do better/dross in this department.

Purely a personal observation, mind!!!

I don't know what semantics means.....I have just noticed a recent trend of Eardley, and Eardley only, being somebody who 'distributes' the ball as opposed to passing it as I also highlighted the other day. That's all.......I agree with your thoughts on him. :)

Leeslover will be pleased you've posted this he's been calling for Eardley to be playing in midfield since long before he had a few games there last season, I personally was not as convinced with him in midfield as others were, although I do agree Lomax makes an adequate replacement at RB.

No giving me the partial glory please :wink: BP1960 was advocating the same.

He just has every attribute I like in a CM. Can tackle, track back, run with the ball, nippy, good stamina, tidy passer (except when playing long balls down the wing!) and a lethal shot in either foot. What's not to like? I do rate him as a full back and of course you have to balance who can fill in, and I did share Coco's concern that we were signing too many midfielders compared to the defence, partly because it suggested that Eardley was staying at the back.

I don't know what semantics means.....I have just noticed a recent trend of Eardley, and Eardley only, being somebody who 'distributes' the ball as opposed to passing it as I also highlighted the other day. That's all.......I agree with your thoughts on him. :)

Maybe distribution means aimless punts up field to no-one from the back which a goalkeeper or defender could be guilty of, whereas poor/crap/useless/aimless passes occur further up field by Midfielders or Forwards? Just a thought like :grin:

Maybe distribution means aimless punts up field to no-one from the back which a goalkeeper or defender could be guilty of, whereas poor/crap/useless/aimless passes occur further up field by Midfielders or Forwards? Just a thought like :grin:

For aimless punt upfield, read Gregan who has a lash at least once a game.