Applause or Silence ?

As it says in the title, myself I prefer the old minutes silence as I think it gives a moment to reflect on the passing persons life. Anybody know wher this applause business originated ? personally I think most of the time it is done because some fans just cannot respect a minutes silence, any thoughts ?

I am certain it is done as some fans, particularly of the opposition cannot stay quiet for a minute. It's something that came in from abroad I think. I seem to remember the Eye-ties doing it a long time before it came over here.

Silence is much better, when used correctly - not for Sid the car park bloke, as on one occasion.

If it is someone who has had a long life and achieved what they wanted to in that life then I see nothing wrong with a minutes applause to celebrate the persons life.

However if it is the opposite than I think a minute silence is required.

For Example. When the Rhys Jones (young kid shot in Liverpool) was killed before his life had even begun by some scumbag with a gun – then I see no reason why there should be applause.

Simple enough - if the family want an applause, it's an applause.

Personally, I think it depends on the situation - applauding Rhys Jones would be pointless, no-one had ever heard of him (no offence intended).

However, in the case of Ernie, where he's close to the hearts of 10,000+people, an applause is apt.

Of course, that rule isn't always apt, applause on the anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster wouldnt really be appropriate...

It changes depending on the situation.

Heard today that Celtic had a minutes applause, this is definately not the occasion for applause, scum the lot of them :redcard::mad:

There was a minute's silence at the Hull-Bolton match today but on GMR it sounded as though the ref abbreviated it due to booing from some of the crowd.

:cardinal:

What happend at "Celtic Park" was without doubt the most shameful thing that has ever happend in over 100 years of association football. Shame on Celtic Football Club.

:Northern_Ireland::blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

I think we have figured out your current likes and dislikes by now Mr Slurms. Perhaps if I tell you about how the Jews run world finance that might give you a new target to express your poorly educated mind against, as you seek to show your mates how hardcore you are?

Edited by leeslover

What happend at "Celtic Park" was without doubt the most shameful thing that has ever happend in over 100 years of association football. Shame on Celtic Football Club.

I am a patriotic Englishman, Rangers fan and supporter of the Union, but I commend Celtic on the minutes applause they decided to hold.

At the end of the day, only a fool would expect a silence to be observed properly and respectfully at a Celtic game- that isn't a dig at Celtic. I just understand that some Celtic fans have strong connections to Ireland and feel that they were oppressed by the British for years and years - so we have to appreciate that some of those are bound to still hold a grudge and a minority will want to protest whenever they get a chance - what better chance for them to do it than when Britain is remembering it's war dead.

I'm not condoning those who don't respect the silence. I just understand the reality of the situation and think Glasgow Celtic FC acted sensibly.

Edited by Yard Dog

I am a patriotic Englishman, Rangers fan and supporter of the Union, but I commend Celtic on the minutes applause they decided to hold.

At the end of the day, only a fool would expect a silence to be observed properly and respectfully at a Celtic game- that isn't a dig at Celtic. I just understand that some Celtic fans have strong connections to Ireland and feel that they were oppressed by the British for years and years - so we have to appreciate that some of those are bound to still hold a grudge and a minority will want to protest whenever they get a chance - what better chance for them to do it than when Britain is remembering it's war dead.

I'm not condoning those who don't respect the silence. I just understand the reality of the situation and think Glasgow Celtic FC acted sensibly.

Surprising, yet appreciated thoughts. Of course like all of the history between Ireland and Britain, it's never straightforward. Many of the most Fenian Glaswegian Celt or Irishman probably has relatives or ancestors who fought in the British army at one time or another. Certainly the great majority of the Scots Celts would have known their fathers and grandfathers fought, and in many instances died, in WW2, and I don't imagine they would have taken too kindly to booing of the silence. Personally I wish they had gone ahead with it as a silence, I like applause for the recognition of individuals, but silence for the (very few) "communal" occasions is right. As for the Irish thing, I think a precedent was set when the Rugby Nigels were warmly applauded at Croke Park after God Save the Queen was played. After that Paisley jerking off over a set of Coronation stamps wouldn't be a huge shock.