we are going nowhere

You know what, we deserved to win yesterday, bar 2 or at most 3 pieces of poor defending.

How many did they pull off the line? 5 or 6? And we missed a good few that just went wide.

I think half the disappointment is from the fact that we could have easily won that game, didn't put our chances away and then got turned over in the last 20 mins.

One thing we definitely need to adress is coping with teams that a mainly 6` plus.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, we deserved to win yesterday, bar 2 or at most 3 pieces of poor defending.

How many did they pull off the line? 5 or 6? And we missed a good few that just went wide.

I think half the disappointment is from the fact that we could have easily won that game, didn't put our chances away and then got turned over in the last 20 mins.

One thing we definitely need to adress is coping with teams that a mainly 6` plus.

I'd strongly disagree with that. We deserved nothing from the game.

I'd strongly disagree with that. We deserved nothing from the game.

Shots on target:

Us: 11

Them: 5, (of which 1 came off the bar, and 2 were sliced...)

I'd argue differently, if our defence had been awake, we could have easily drawn 0-0, if not won by 1 or 2.

Shots on target:

Us: 11

Them: 5, (of which 1 came off the bar, and 2 were sliced...)

I'd argue differently, if our defence had been awake, we could have easily drawn 0-0, if not won by 1 or 2.

we have to score to win and yesterday we did'nt so how do you come to that conclusion.

He said we deserved nothing, I begged to differ.

I reckon that if they hadn't scored that 1st goal, our heads wouldnt have gone down, and we could have easily walked away with 3 points, and ugly 3 points, but they all count.

Quoting Shez, "if we'd scored 1st, we'd have won".

Simple as really.

So it isn't just me that isn't too down after yesterday then.

I txt my mum at half time to say the first goal would win and I was right. We kept on finding their keeper with all our shots, on another day we could have had it sown up.

we have to score to win and yesterday we did'nt so how do you come to that conclusion.

I'd say by not letting the really pathetic goals in that we are doing, it's called giving yourself a chance. When you go a goal down, most often you play differently...And rather than having to chase a game and making rushed mistakes etc if we'd been 0-0 with ten minutes to go and knocking, who knows...we may have nicked it. No guarantees but that's how I suspect he's come to that conclusion. Which I thinks spot on. The problem aint upfront IMO...it's at the back coz we're giving confidence to the oppo...stick a high ball in and most times, we haven't a clue. I actually feel like we've gone from Man Marking to Zonal marking...and it's causing no end of trouble.

2007/2008 Winners: Swansea - Position by the start of November? 5th on 24 points.

2006/2007 Winners: Scunthorpe - Position by the start of November? 3rd on 28 points. That's 1 win better off than us.

2005/2006 Runners Up: Colchester - Position by the start of November? 13th on 21 points.

We're still well on course.

2007/2008 Winners: Swansea - Position by the start of November? 5th on 24 points.

2006/2007 Winners: Scunthorpe - Position by the start of November? 3rd on 28 points. That's 1 win better off than us.

2005/2006 Runners Up: Colchester - Position by the start of November? 13th on 21 points.

We're still well on course.

Last season people were tying to find solace in the fact that Blackpool came out of nowhere to get promoted in the play-offs.

The trouble is that we are not Blackpool. Or Swansea. Or Scunthorpe. Or Colchester. What other teams have done in the past has no bearing whatsoever on this club.

We are Oldham, we're playing in the last chance saloon (so some say) and we're flushing it down the carsey. Again.

Last season people were tying to find solace in the fact that Blackpool came out of nowhere to get promoted in the play-offs.

The trouble is that we are not Blackpool. Or Swansea. Or Scunthorpe. Or Colchester. What other teams have done in the past has no bearing whatsoever on this club.

We are Oldham, we're playing in the last chance saloon (so some say) and we're flushing it down the carsey. Again.

I can't believe all this pessimism, we had a bad game against Yeovil, get over it. We're 7th....4 points from an automatic playoff spot. It's November....the season ends in May.

Plenty of time left yet.

6th places (which would do me just fine!) from the last few seasons...

2008/9 Us? - 77 pts, Lost 12 (?) (See stats below!)

2007/8 Southend - 67 pts, Lost 14

2006/7 Us - 75 pts, Lost 13

2005/6 Swansea - 71 pts, Lost 11

2004/5 Monkey Hangers (again :P ) - 71 pts, Lost 17 ( :blink: )

2003/4 Monkey Hangers - 73 pts, Lost 13

2002/3 Cardiff - 81 pts, Lost 11 (Daft year)

Us this year:

15/46ths of the season played

Points = 25 = 1.6 points/game = 77 points at the end of the season

Losses = 4 = 0.25 losses per game = 12 Losses at the end of the season...

It would be a stupidly good year for 77 points not to get us play-offs, and 12ish losses in a season is the norm for play-off teams...

Read the stats, make of them what you like!

Edited by JoeLatics

Blackpool, swansea, scunny, colU?

So which club are we like then?

Or are we just "not like" any clubs that anyone uses to show that we can still get promoted this season? We put a hell of a lot of shots at the keeper yesterday, we put a hell of a lot at Bristol. We didn't actually play that badly, apart from not actually scoring. Ok, some people may have taken the view that putting 3 past scunny meant we should have wrapped yeovil up within 25 mins via 3 or 4 goals, and then put another 3 past them before asking the ref to call the game off at half time to save their blushes, but life isn't like that.

If you can't handle defeat, then you're not really cut out for it.

i think anyone writing us off when were 4 points off 2nd in november know nothing about this league. Any team can beat any other team in this league hense how tight it is with the top 12 clubs split by only a few points. just look at leicester who were 2 up the other night and got beat! And the reason we all support latics is for the fact we know we can have experiences like the everton, leeds and millwall games. we will be there or there abouts in may as we all know we can beat any team in this league and above when we play to our potential. The key word with latics is consistency!

im just facing it that we will be league 1 forever i dont see anything to suggest we will even make the play offs in the last few games. Simply awful yesterday, such a contrast to tuesday and an absolute joke how we are so bad 1 game and good the next, 2 tricky away days now at northampton and southend you cant see past returning with 0 points the way we are playing away, happy days

after saturdays performance i am quietly confident we are going up as fkin champions

Let's get real:

1) We are miles better than last season. Far better to watch. Far more likely to score. Far more likely to win.

2) Last season, despite being crap, we came 8th.

3) The attitude on the pitch for most of this season has been top notch.

4) When you're near the top, lesser teams raise their game - we need to expect this and address it. We also need to address raising our own game for other top teams - and apply it to lesser teams with just as much vigour.

5) The defeat to Yeovil was poor. But we should still have won that game and would have done 9 times out of 10 with better finishing and sensible defending.

6) We always lose at Bristol Rovers and Swindon.

7) Great players have great games, good games, average games and :censored:e games. Even if they play for Chelsea or Man Utd. All our players will not always have great games week in week out. One or two poor shows doesn't mean they should be taken away and placed in front of a firing squad.

8) I still doubt the ability of Sheridan to motivate the team and get the best out of the players he had on the pitch.

9) I don't understand why we need loan players when we have such a big squad.

10) I still think we're good for the play-offs.

11) We are good enough to get automatic promotion - they key is point (8) being addressed. Preferably by Sheridan and not TTA.

Edited by opinions4u

I can't believe all this pessimism, we had a bad game against Yeovil, get over it. We're 7th....4 points from an automatic playoff spot. It's November....the season ends in May.

Plenty of time left yet.

We were top and now we're seventh. We have lost the last three games out of four to mediocre sides. No cause for pessimism-it's promotion form.

What I like about this club is the rampant ambition.

Blackpool, swansea, scunny, colU?

So which club are we like then?

Or are we just "not like" any clubs that anyone uses to show that we can still get promoted this season? We put a hell of a lot of shots at the keeper yesterday, we put a hell of a lot at Bristol. We didn't actually play that badly, apart from not actually scoring. Ok, some people may have taken the view that putting 3 past scunny meant we should have wrapped yeovil up within 25 mins via 3 or 4 goals, and then put another 3 past them before asking the ref to call the game off at half time to save their blushes, but life isn't like that.

If you can't handle defeat, then you're not really cut out for it.

Latics fans are well known for not being able to handle defeat due to not being used to it.

i think anyone writing us off when were 4 points off 2nd in november know nothing about this league. Any team can beat any other team in this league hense how tight it is with the top 12 clubs split by only a few points. just look at leicester who were 2 up the other night and got beat! And the reason we all support latics is for the fact we know we can have experiences like the everton, leeds and millwall games. we will be there or there abouts in may as we all know we can beat any team in this league and above when we play to our potential. The key word with latics is consistency!

I've seen very few posters writing us off. But anybody who doesn't feel concerned about current form is wilfully blind.

It's relegation form.

I've seen very few posters writing us off. But anybody who doesn't feel concerned about current form is wilfully blind.

It's relegation form.

Selective.

The form which matters is the form over the last 15 games (since the start of the season). This has yielded 25 points, which is neither promotion or relegation form. Had be beat Yeovil, like we usually would, we would have 28 points and be joint 4th. But lets not let that get in the way of a good whinge.

Weve had some bad results but lets just be serious here for a moment. We are only 5 points of the top spot at the minute. That tells you the teams above us are no better, if at all than ourselves. Keep ploughing away and we'll eventually get there. Keep it positive.

Selective.

The form which matters is the form over the last 15 games (since the start of the season). This has yielded 25 points, which is neither promotion or relegation form. Had be beat Yeovil, like we usually would, we would have 28 points and be joint 4th. But lets not let that get in the way of a good whinge.

Okay, have it your way: three defeats in four games, all to sides that nobody claims are anything other than average is no real cause for concern in a season that most of the loudest voices on here were claiming is probably our last chance at a serious promotion challenge.