Latics blocked Cheltenham price cut...

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/spo...il/article.html

To be fair I doubt it would have made much difference financially and would probably just have meant more Cheltenham fans in.

Basically it was done for the clubs own selfish reasons and now has backfired against them for the replay. Who loses out ultimately… the fans.

So I’ve got to say well done to the club, sends the right message out considering they keep having a go at us for not turning up.

The Cheltenham Chairman said "It would have been nice to have had a free hand, but we wanted to halve the prices, which may have been too much of a reduction."

If he had been prepared to go to a price between half and full, maybe he would have struck a deal.

Well one way or another, Latics and Cheltenham failed to negotiate any price reduction (or just didn't) and it has backfired on the fans of both teams. So its going to now cost £20 to watch the game on Tuesday. Anyone reckon its going to be a low attendance?

Edited by jimsleftfoot

It would have needed to double the attendance for the same admission income, which was very unlikely comparing to other attendances in the first round of the Cup.

...and don't forget the Boring Egg Chasing was on last Saturday which knocks 50% of the crowd off at Chelts anyway.

Any financial gain (which would be very unlikely) would most certainly have been outweighed if we had got knocked out, and wasn't a risk even worth entertaining on this occasion in my view.

Well one way or another, Latics failed to negotiate any price reduction (or just didn’t) and its back firing. So its going to now cost £20 to watch the game on Tuesday. Anyone reckon its going to be a low attendance?

Anyone reckon it's going to be a big attendance of Latics supporters away to a big club in the third round at inflated prices?

Anyone reckon it's going to be a big attendance of Latics supporters away to a big club in the third round at inflated prices?

But this is the problem......... somehow over the years the FA Cup has become devalued to such an extent that people are only interested in the glamour ties. I'm not sure when, but it happpened. I know this has been controversial on this board for a while but I do firmly beleive it's cost (sorry for raising this debate for the 1000th time).

The facts are that somebody wanting to take their two kids to BP have to pay at least £428 for a season ticket or a minimum of £24 (if the kids are under 12) to go to a match, double that for two leagues games a month, and add another expense for for a cup replay like this. So parents could be faced with a minimum £72 spent on Latics in a month........ I'm sorry but many just can't justify that expense. I seem to remember people saying on here that they were taking people for birthday's late christmas presents and all sorts of stuff for that game, and sadly that's what live football for many has become in this modern age......... a treat!!

Now before I ge the backlash I would just like to add I don't blame TTA for this situation, in truth it's the players and the wages they now expect. We know that Lee Hughes gets £80K a year and he's just one player........ this is third tier football FFS!!! This type of spending is just not sustainable..........

I fear the worst for football outside the greedy league and have posted several times about regionalised lower leagues in the future to cut down costs..... IMO this would be disasterous.

Don't blame the fans........ don't blame the club........ BUT blame the current structure of the leagues, blame the players and in truth, probably more so greedy parasite football agents.

But this is the problem......... somehow over the years the FA Cup has become devalued to such an extent that people are only interested in the glamour ties.

I think the problem is that people expect live football to be the same as football on Sky. Call me a romantic, but I love the non-glamour ties in the 'world's greatest cup competition'.

I went to Hednesford (talked to Nigel Clough in the queue for his burger) and Chasetown (their manager dedicating their win to his dead father on the phone to his mother on the pitch after the game) in their replays for the right to play us. I love all the cliches in the previews of the David v Goliath early round ties. The game at Thurrock was awful, but it was Latics risking all against the minnows. The games against the Brewers were both nail-biters. Barrow away, an early goal, then a long dire wait for that final whistle.

Then again, I enjoy watching the Reserves so I must be easy to please. :grin:

I went to Hednesford (talked to Nigel Clough in the queue for his burger) and Chasetown (their manager dedicating their win to his dead father on the phone to his mother on the pitch after the game) in their replays for the right to play us. I love all the cliches in the previews of the David v Goliath early round ties. The game at Thurrock was awful, but it was Latics risking all against the minnows. The games against the Brewers were both nail-biters. Barrow away, an early goal, then a long dire wait for that final whistle.

Not to mention the relief in Kettering when that bloke off Hollyoaks won it in the last minute.

Guest sheridans_world

I'm sad to say that the magic of the FA Cup to me is playing the minnows and the big teams.

Not Cheltenham away.

Or at home on a cold Tuesday night.

So its going to now cost £20 to watch the game on Tuesday.

Speak for yourself, I only paid £18. A bloke I bumped in to yesterday only paid £17.

If you haven't had the foresight to plan your life around passing by BP during the week then it serves you right.

On the way down to Cheltenham I said to the gentleman next to me that when we get to Wembley we'll remember today, the day when half our usual away following had binned us for Curzon Ashton.

It will be a proud moment as all 322 of us (that's 323 minus BigFin - travelling from Bristol is not a grand enough gesture to qualify) lead the team out at the home of English football wearing T-shirts with a picture of Whaddon Road and sporting the phrase "I was there."

And it will be us to whom Lordy/Sarah Palin/Rodney Trotter will run to celebrate as the former rifles the last kick of the game past Van Der Sar before diving freshly grown mullet first into that section of superfans.

On the way down to Cheltenham I said to the gentleman next to me that when we get to Wembley we'll remember today, the day when half our usual away following had binned us for Curzon Ashton.

It will be a proud moment as all 322 of us (that's 323 minus BigFin - travelling from Bristol is not a grand enough gesture to qualify) lead the team out at the home of English football wearing T-shirts with a picture of Whaddon Road and sporting the phrase "I was there."

And it will be us to whom Lordy/Sarah Palin/Rodney Trotter will run to celebrate as the former rifles the last kick of the game past Van Der Sar before diving freshly grown mullet first into that section of superfans.

Can see it being under 4000 - Shame (Especially with the Chaddy mongs saying they are not attending - BOO HOO)

In the words of Martin Luther King, I had a dream something like that!