Latics blocked Cheltenham price cut...

But this is the problem......... somehow over the years the FA Cup has become devalued to such an extent that people are only interested in the glamour ties. I'm not sure when, but it happpened. I know this has been controversial on this board for a while but I do firmly beleive it's cost (sorry for raising this debate for the 1000th time).

The facts are that somebody wanting to take their two kids to BP have to pay at least £428 for a season ticket or a minimum of £24 (if the kids are under 12) to go to a match, double that for two leagues games a month, and add another expense for for a cup replay like this. So parents could be faced with a minimum £72 spent on Latics in a month........ I'm sorry but many just can't justify that expense. I seem to remember people saying on here that they were taking people for birthday's late christmas presents and all sorts of stuff for that game, and sadly that's what live football for many has become in this modern age......... a treat!!

Now before I ge the backlash I would just like to add I don't blame TTA for this situation, in truth it's the players and the wages they now expect. We know that Lee Hughes gets £80K a year and he's just one player........ this is third tier football FFS!!! This type of spending is just not sustainable..........

I fear the worst for football outside the greedy league and have posted several times about regionalised lower leagues in the future to cut down costs..... IMO this would be disasterous.

Don't blame the fans........ don't blame the club........ BUT blame the current structure of the leagues, blame the players and in truth, probably more so greedy parasite football agents.

I bought a programme at the Bournemouth v Exeter game earlier this season and I read some of the new Bournemouth chairmen's comments. One of his suggestions was to pool all the money made from gate receipts of all the clubs in each round of the cup and divide the cash equally between the clubs in the particular round. Yes it's less of an incentive for the teams with higher attendences but it gives teams more of an incentive to get further in the cup and bring back more of the magic of the cup by making the football more of a priority. Would it increase attendances? I think it would give clubs less pressure to keep prices high if they know that they'll make the same as everyone else therefore cheap tickets could be introduced leading to more fans attending.

Any thoughts?

the FA cup early rounds used to be full of atmosphere and everyone was up for it - Formby away back in the day was memorable - problem now is cost. In the old days entry was the same as the cinema - now its 3 or 4 times the price. The reason the gates are lower is because ST holders generally dont like to pay out again and many only do for the bigger ties. Wait till 3rd round comes round and look at gates at places like Sunderland, Middlesboro, Bolton etc - some will probably get less than 10,000. Its a great shame, but fans only have so much disposable income and a long haul to Cheltenham and £20 in was a bridge too far unfortunately. Hopefully we'll get a good turn out for Morcambe - mainly as local and new ground for most of us plus you can stand behind goal which adds to atmosphere. Unfortunately economics dictate that the FA cup has lost most of its attraction in the early rounds - just hope we land another big fish in round 3 !

Edited by Blue-Mist

Hopefully we'll get a good turn out for Morcambe - mainly as local and new ground for most of us plus you can stand behind goal which adds to atmosphere. Unfortunately economics dictate that the FA cup has lost most of its attraction in the early rounds - just hope we land another big fish in round 3 !

Just the small matter of beating Cheltenham first, in front of a small crowd.

Can see it being under 4000 - Shame (Especially with the Chaddy mongs saying they are not attending - BOO HOO)

Sorry but i find that really offensive! if the word paki or similar had been used the mods wudda been on it like a flash, yet its ok to describe someone as a mong? c,mon guys get a grip

Ooops Cheltenham...how embarrassing it is to go crying like wankers...

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=534352

What a cracking attendance this one was...for the same tie...R1 at home vs Brighton just 12mths ago. Was a cut-price ticket on offer then? If so, it really really failed to work. And if not, well, why not? Brighton not playing ball? Did they cry like babies then?

Sounds to me like more ideas from Martin Allen to stir it up against us. Hope we stuff them next week...and I'll be more than happy to pay to see it (on top of the trip to theirs on Saturday.) Funny how non-attendees etc moan about the state of the game and the lack of heart and passion and all the greed on show, in one breath, then couldn't give a toss about the FA Cup until it suits in the next. Oh well...

A few years back on TV David Gill of United said whenever they played a lower league team in either the FA cup or Carling cup all lower league clubs wanted United to charge full matchday prices knowing there would still be 40,000+ meaning a nice profit for the smaller team.

End of the day Money and greed took over football a very long time ago and even if we go up i still think fans will stay away because of the high prices.

... even if we go up i still think fans will stay away because of the high prices.

I agree that the ones who stay away now will stay away if we go up, and therefore TTA will have to rely on visiting fans to reduce the losses through the turnstiles. With the players expecting higher wages if we go up, the future looks bleak.

But let's not worry about the future, first we need to get behind the horse, that the lads need to climb back upon, to head towards the winning post! :towork:

P.S. Don't forget that horses have been known to kick those getting behind them, in the teeth or the goolies from time to time. :bluearmy::ktf:

• 2 weeks later...
Can see it being under 4000 - Shame (Especially with the Chaddy mongs saying they are not attending - BOO HOO)

I said on another thread in answer to j@cko that I would rather be called 'idiot' than 'mong' with its spastic association, but now I find that it can also mean "good, kind heart, generous and kind loving people from Asia", so how could I take exception to that? It's a bit harsh though to blame this minority for Tuesday's poor attendance.

I said on another thread in answer to j@cko that I would rather be called 'idiot' than 'mong' with its spastic association, but now I find that it can also mean "good, kind heart, generous and kind loving people from Asia", so how could I take exception to that? It's a bit harsh though to blame this minority for Tuesday's poor attendance.

Now, without any note about it being edited, that definition has been removed from rummy's post and replaced with the following definition of 'mong':

"an extremely idiotic and/or stupid person".

Hope I don't get banned for pointing this out.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

A crap draw is a crap draw, a crap team who play crap football in the same league as us never has and never will attract fans. All those saying the magic has gone must be on happy nostalgic rose tinted specs pills. CHELTENHAM ?! really...... its no wonder they all like rugby if thats the alternative.