Sheridan - Should he stay or should he go.

Guest sheridans_world

Sheridan - Leave or go?  

309 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the faith or lost the faith?

• Sheridan to STAY
    • Sheridan to GO
    • To stay, if he pulls his finger out!
  2. 2. Time frame if you said stay - how long should he get?

• Sheridan will get until Christmas
    • See what he does in the January transfer window
    • Until the end of the season
    • Definatley here until next season

Picture the scene....it's 7:00am at the swimming pool, Harbin is waiting with his sleeves rolled up, the door opens............................ and in walks Chris Taylor, who says "the others aren't coming".

Apart from Lomax standing there with no clothes on, staring enviously at Taylor in his trunks

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we won on Saturday - SHEZ IN*

* Could be subject to dramatic change if we don't beat Warsaw tomorrow.

Where will Shez stand if it's:

(1) A score draw after we've taken the lead?

(2) A score draw after Walsall have taken the lead?

(3) A 0-0 draw, which we haven't had in the League for 39 games?

(4) A really :censored: performance won by a last minute deflection by a Latics player clearly in an offside position?

(4) A really :censored: performance won by a last minute deflection by a Latics player clearly in an offside position?

On the touchline as usual B)

Whilst anything other than 3 points at home is generally a let down, I think we should look at the next 2 home games together. 4 points would be good (following on from 6 from 2 away games) and 6 would be great. 3 will keep us in the position we are in now i.e. in the scrap to get into the play-offs.

If Sheriden is genuinely at risk of losing his job (and I am not sure he is) then no matter how we get 6 pts he is safe. Same can be said for 4 as well I'd think. 3 or less and the nature of the performances will become important.

(1) A score draw after we've taken the lead? SHEZ OUT (Glass half empty)

(2) A score draw after Walsall have taken the lead? SHEZ IN (Glass half full)

(3) A 0-0 draw, which we haven't had in the League for 39 games?SHEZ OUT (Glass half empty)

(4) A really :censored: performance won by a last minute deflection by a Latics player clearly in an offside position? SHEZ IN (Glass half full)

Quite fickle some of our fans DS. :wink:

Edited by Hometownclub

Regardless of what people think of sheridan, I think the bottom line is..

If there comes a point where it is looking like we will not be able to achieve promotion this season, Sheridan is a gonner.

If we are still playing league 1 football next season, we will be doing so under a new manager.

Like everyone else I can get emotional at times, and dave (davegtt) will back me up in saying after the cheltenham game, I was fuming, I seen the red mist, and I wanted sheridan gone there and then. Some of the guys tactical decisions, refusal to drop certain players etc still really nark me off, But after calming down a bit and coming to my senses, I will back sheridan untill the club reaches a point this season (which hopefully we will not reach) whereby we are no longer realistic promotion contenders by virtue of our league position and form.

Untill then, firmly behind John Sheridans Blue and White Army

In tonight's rarely wrong Chron Shez says:

“We had a big disappointment last week (at home to Cheltenham in the cup) and I don’t mind people being critical because it’s all about winning football matches.

“People say things, and that’s life. But as a team and a squad the lads have got on with it, so hopefully we can get a run together.”

Shez IN!

It's nearly December and we're four points off the top ... the only reason there's a debate at all is the impossible level of expectation from some fans, who seem to think anything other than staying top all season is abject failure simply because people at the club have said we're aiming to go up.

Shez in, until the summer at least. I wouldn't even say it's definitely time for a change if we don't go up - it all depends how and why. Yes we have a squad that's good enough for promotion, yes I think finishing outside the playoffs would be unacceptable, but to treat the stated intention to gain promotion as some kind of cast iron guarantee is just plain stupid.

It's nearly December and we're four points off the top ... the only reason there's a debate at all is the impossible level of expectation from some fans, who seem to think anything other than staying top all season is abject failure simply because people at the club have said we're aiming to go up.

Shez in, until the summer at least. I wouldn't even say it's definitely time for a change if we don't go up - it all depends how and why. Yes we have a squad that's good enough for promotion, yes I think finishing outside the playoffs would be unacceptable, but to treat the stated intention to gain promotion as some kind of cast iron guarantee is just plain stupid.

Think you are right there re some fans expectations. My personal expectation is that we have a damn good crack at promotion at least, and are in the playoff places or in the running for playoff places right untill the last hurdle.

If it comes to feb/march or whenever before end of season and we have slipped off considerably, thats when I would say time for a change.

If we just miss out, time for some long hard discussions between Shez and TTA.

the contrast in our footy from Talbot/Moore to Shezza is unbelievable - my fear is that if Shezza goes - we get another Talbot/Moore - Shezza forever

Agreed, hence if there comes a point, which there hopefully wont, that TTA have to make a decision, I hope they have thought long and hard about who they think is

1) Available

2) The club could realistically attract, and

3) Could do a better job than Shez and tommy

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Come on Diego - please use the correct Latics terms when describing something like this... we all know this is commonly known as a "Chris Porter"

The amount of games we won that season by crappy porter goals and defending like yard dogs was untrue... I dont think anyone would complain if the same happened this season...

I've never been a football purist, especially at this level, and still fully convinced that the only thing missing from our game is some real determination, motivation and work-rate... we can put on the shows against the teams that come to play football against us, against walsall its all about the 3pts...

Come on Diego - please use the correct Latics terms when describing something like this... we all know this is commonly known as a "Chris Porter"

The amount of games we won that season by crappy porter goals and defending like yard dogs was untrue... I dont think anyone would complain if the same happened this season...

I've never been a football purist, especially at this level, and still fully convinced that the only thing missing from our game is some real determination, motivation and work-rate... we can put on the shows against the teams that come to play football against us, against walsall its all about the 3pts...

Agree 100 percent. Thats one thing that our ronnie said before his first and only full season in charge. To get out of this division, you have got to be able to win pretty, and you have got to be able to win ugly.

Agreed but, rather than thinking of anything like Chris Porter's performances, I was trying to describe a flukey win after a :censored: performance, to see whether the Shez outers would condemn or reprieve Shez for it.

Agreed, hence if there comes a point, which there hopefully wont, that TTA have to make a decision, I hope they have thought long and hard about who they think is

1) Available

2) The club could realistically attract, and

3) Could do a better job than Shez and tommy

The only time to replace a manager is when you have somebody better to bring in.

You make possible the most insightful post of the many on here.

..and still fully convinced that the only thing missing from our game is some real determination, motivation and work-rate...

Determination, work-rate and motiviation.

3 things I would normally associate with a side that is capable of digging in and getting back into games when they have fallen behind rather lettng their heads drop and accpet defeat,

This season - this is something from the first day we have shown we are capable of.

As for Shez. I have said on many occassions that I would happy to keep Shez this season and beyond even if we fail to go up, unless we appear to be fighting relegation.

He is a young manager who has made watching Latics much more enjoyable that it has been in years (in terms of football and home record, even better than under Dowie who's away record was MUCH better than that at BP). He is making some mistakes, but I think overall he is learning (sometimes it does feel like 2 steps forward, one back). General accepted wisdom in football is give managers time - so why not? Even if it means we have an average season once in a while.

We have made the play-offs and missed out. This season looks as though we will be at least in a 'fight' in or around them again.

So unless we have a great manager* lined up AND results and the team are struggling then Shez in.

* - few managers likely to come to Oldham will be any better to be honest. Either un proven or had failures elsewhere. One lower league manager I would have liked to see at BP is Danny Wilson. OK hits and misses on his record, but his teams always play football in the manner that I think it should be played.

If there is any readers of Focus magazine, last months issue showed that scientists have proven that teams changing managers throughout the season rarely improve so science says SHEZ IN:)

If he doesnt get till the end of the season, this is one season ticket holder who is going to follow Shez out the door (unless we get someone unbelievable in, which is unlikely on our budget). Some of Shez's decisions have been bizzare and he does have shortcomings but its ludicrous that after the start we have had people should be considering whether or not he should be the manager at this stage of the season. Chopping and changing managers has not helped us get out of this division so maybe some continuity will. If we get a new man in its going to be back to square one!

Determination, work-rate and motiviation.

3 things I would normally associate with a side that is capable of digging in and getting back into games when they have fallen behind rather lettng their heads drop and accpet defeat,

This season - this is something from the first day we have shown we are capable of.

Really? Well you have been watching a different team to me... I have seen a team where if the opposition play football and give us space - then we win (scunny, leeds etc), and if the opposition is so abstractly dire - we win (Hereford, Cheltenham first game)... however, if the opposition are remotely average and just choose to outwork us - we lose (Stockport, Yeovil, Brizzle, Swindon, Cheltenham) . These are the games where we need those three characteristics - and where they have been very sadly lacking.

Agreed but, rather than thinking of anything like Chris Porter's performances, I was trying to describe a flukey win after a :censored: performance, to see whether the Shez outers would condemn or reprieve Shez for it.

Seriously, I love this myth that Shez's first season was filled with anything more than flukey wins with :censored: performances.... we all have rose tinted specs on ablout that season as we were all so relieved to get rid of ronnie. So many games were won that season by pretty poor performances, with Lids crossing a ball in that bounced off Porters arse - and hey, we win 1-0. Fair enough... however our success that season was built on solid very average if not poor performances - which saw us beat a lot of the bobbins teams. That should answer your question - as Shez's reputation is based on this season.

The only difference between that season and last season was Porter, and a lot of luck that was missing in so many of our home 1-0 losses at the start of last year.

Really? Well you have been watching a different team to me... I have seen a team where if the opposition play football and give us space - then we win (scunny, leeds etc), and if the opposition is so abstractly dire - we win (Hereford, Cheltenham first game)... however, if the opposition are remotely average and just choose to outwork us - we lose (Stockport, Yeovil, Brizzle, Swindon, Cheltenham) . These are the games where we need those three characteristics - and where they have been very sadly lacking.

Seriously, I love this myth that Shez's first season was filled with anything more than flukey wins with :censored: performances.... we all have rose tinted specs on ablout that season as we were all so relieved to get rid of ronnie. So many games were won that season by pretty poor performances, with Lids crossing a ball in that bounced off Porters arse - and hey, we win 1-0. Fair enough... however our success that season was built on solid very average if not poor performances - which saw us beat a lot of the bobbins teams. That should answer your question - as Shez's reputation is based on this season.

The only difference between that season and last season was Porter, and a lot of luck that was missing in so many of our home 1-0 losses at the start of last year.

the forest 5-0??? we weren't a bad side, deserved to be where we were - just not the depth in strengh and caught out by the better team in the end, Sheridans credibility was deserved

the forest 5-0??? we weren't a bad side, deserved to be where we were - just not the depth in strengh and caught out by the better team in the end, Sheridans credibility was deserved

I was "pulled in" by the £2 tickets prior to that game ... two fairly average performances (Northampton and Brighton from memory) but got the bug nonetheless.

The reward was the tremendous 5-0 win over Forest at a packed BP where I paid full price. But that performance wasn't replicated.

To be honest, the games that followed were mixed at best ... gutsy performances away from home at Swansea, Scunthorpe ring a bell, and less impressive home performances where we did get the occasional result. I think Wellens getting a 3 match ban killed off the automatic promotion dream.

But we all knew that when the Blackpool play-off games came along Latics weren't good enough. Despite queuing for 4 hours to get the tickets!!

Consistancy, putting together a winning run and banking the home points is what it's all about. Sheridan is yet to prove he can do this as a manager.

I am critical of the man. But some of the football seen earler this season was superb. So the potential is there. Winning at Northampton and Southend (even if the football wasn't as good) suggests he does have something in the locker.

I'm glad I have a season ticket, I think Latics will make the play-offs and beleive they should go up. Sheridan will be measured (and should be measured) by exactly this.

Edited by opinions4u

I was "pulled in" by the £2 tickets prior to that game ... two fairly average performances (Northampton and Brighton from memory) but got the bug nonetheless.

The reward was the tremendous 5-0 win over Forest at a packed BP where I paid full price. But that performance wasn't replicated.

To be honest, the games that followed were mixed at best ...

Agreed. But the run that got us to the top was great, but after the Scunthorpe / Swansea games we fell away. However that run was one of the best runs in many a season in terms of results and performances. If you only came to the end of it, you missed the best times.