Sheridan - Should he stay or should he go.

Guest sheridans_world

Sheridan - Leave or go?  

309 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the faith or lost the faith?

• Sheridan to STAY
    • Sheridan to GO
    • To stay, if he pulls his finger out!
  2. 2. Time frame if you said stay - how long should he get?

• Sheridan will get until Christmas
    • See what he does in the January transfer window
    • Until the end of the season
    • Definatley here until next season

Guest sheridans_world

Ok so I know we havent had a 'Shez Out' poll for a while.

I appreciate there may be a lot of negative feeling towards him at the moment but I would like an idea on the timeframe people will give him.

Previous polls: Poll 1

Poll 2

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay till the end of the season.

The only circumstances we could fairly sack him in is if we're near the bottom of the league!

The man is a great manager on his day!!!

Let him have his chance!!!

That's my main gripe with him, he's as inconsistent as the players - that in my mind is where he fails. The one constant for a winning mentality HAS to be the manager. Sorry Shez peaks then massive troughs are something we have known for the last 15 years, we need someone to crack the whip, not be best mates with a few of the squad, then shun others. Only one or two men could shake up this squad and give them the arse kicking their slacking arses need.

Step forward Boothroyd or dare I say Dowie. HIs training methods are exaxtly what our shirkers need.

Thanks for a great 10 years Shez, i'm sad it has to end like this but YOU are NOT the man to take this club forward and you've taken us as far as you ever will - to one failed Play Off campaign when in reality if he'd been pro-active we should have pissed the league with the momentum we had built.

Ok so I know we havent had a 'Shez Out' poll for a while.

I appreciate there may be a lot of negative feeling towards him at the moment but I would like an idea on the timeframe people will give him.

Previous polls: Poll 1

Poll 2

This is brilliant! Vote for him to be sacked and your vote gets rejected! Tell me. have you ever been to Florida?

Hanging chad.

. or dare I say Dowie...... to one failed Play Off campaign when in reality if he'd been pro-active we should have pissed the league with the momentum we had built.

Maybe if we double our budget we'll be fair in judging Shez for achieving the same as Dowie managed?

Maybe if we double our budget we'll be fair in judging Shez for achieving the same as Dowie managed?

The majority of teams nowadays in this league don't spend too much money and even if he were given wads of cash I don't think it would be spent wisely.

Dowie is disliked by a fair percentage of our fans and probably wouldn't be welcomed back, but one thing a Dowie team always gave was 100% commitment and effort which is the least you should expect!!.

If we sack shez before end of season, we wont get promoted.

If we don’t get promoted it means lower crowds and even less of an already lower budget for next season.

Because of our low crowds, low budget, low transfer funds and high demands of your boothroyds, dowies or any decent manager contracted to another club it means that option will be out the window.

Any 'cheap option manager' that would come in would have a small budget and probably not be able to keep many of the 11 or 12 (i think) out of contract players for next season, and not have much money to replace them.

And all that means most of the people on here calling for shez's head, will be on here moaning again next season cos were not top of the league, playing attractive football and have a chance of getting promoted.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

Stay till the end of the season.

The only circumstances we could fairly sack him in is if we're near the bottom of the league!

The man is a great manager on his day!!!

Let him have his chance!!!

I would like to give him until the end of the season but if we are underperforming I think he may be gone in January.

"The man is a great manager on his day"......I do not understand that statement one bit!!!

Are you're saying is he's a good manager when we win and a poor one when we lose. A manager can only be judged on results and over the last 10 games we've been generally crap!

He' been given plenty of time, by Christmas he'll have had two and a half seasons as manager and we are still dogged with inconsistency! Unless there's a marked improvement in results over the next 5 or 6 weeks then he has to go, which would give us time to recruit someone that could just make the difference come May.

I'm sad to say that if it wern't Sheridan at the helm he would have been hounded out already...There's no room for sentiment in this game!!!

If we were to sack him, who exactly is there out there to replace him? I don't think there's too many managers currently without a job who are better than Shez...

Firstly, I think the game's up.

He's had resource and wasted it.

He's had two and a bit seasons, argued a case for why we've just missed out, the owners have responded. And yet he doesn't know who his best players are once there are a couple of injuries or suspensions.

But the only time you should replace your manager is when you have somebody better lined up to replace him.

That somebody needs to either be:

(1) somebody who can manage an experienced squad and get the best out of them or

(2) somebody who can bring in youngsters to replace squad members who the owners need to sell - and still get results.

We don't yet know whether we're in (1) or (2) territory. And people on this board can't identify any obvious candidates in either category.

Shez stays.

For now.

Edited by opinions4u

I voted very much in favour of keeping him BUT I'm not Simon Corney, and judging by recent events I think his patience is wearing thin.

A few good results over the coming weeks to get back to winning ways and it'll be all rosey in the BP garden again.

This is brilliant! Vote for him to be sacked and your vote gets rejected! Tell me. have you ever been to Florida?

Hanging chad.

:grin: Thought I'd try it to liven things up - yep! rejected....... Hmmm!

To be fair, at the start of the season I said I'd reserve judgement until New Years day, which I will stand by, regardless of my amazement at some of his tactics and transfers.

Judging by his demeanour in the interview following the Cheltenham defeat, I'd recommend that TTA put their arm around him because the guy looked very fed up. Sometimes even the manager needs a pick me up.

This striker situation was out of Shez's control. O'Grady looked out of his depth and a dip back in the League 2 pool was a wise move. For Davies to then go postal (allegedly), Allesandra to go missing, Smalley to go off injured and Hughes to go and do the one thing he had openly been criticised for recently was unfortunate from a manager's point of view.

Boothroyd? Premier League, bright young thing and FEM to 3rd division with plucky Oldham in two seasons?

Not a snowballs.

For every Harry Redknapp, there are 100's of Peter Taylors.

Some people live in gaga land.

If Shez went its not a matter of who we would get as opposed to who would take it ??

BIG difference.

Back in 1990 when we played Utd in semi they were all saying if we won then AF would be sacked.

proportionately he had far more resources than Shez at the time and look how he struggled.

Admitted that under Shez we have had some really bad games but we have also had some of the best performances since big Joe -

Leeds twice away , Everton , Huddersfield away , Scunny , Forest to name a few.

We expect too much , get real , and wake up to the fact we are a financilly struggling team in League one with gates bearly covering 5000. Losing money and fortunately owners who rescued us from the mire.Probably in the league one of well off we would be in the relegation zone but we expect promotion !!!!!

I think given time he will get it right but admit he has a few faults that need ironing out.

His two main probems appear to be -

1/ Man management (think i read on a post somewhere that he is struggling not be one of the boys) thats the biggest problem in any management job when promoted from within.

2/ Dithering with transfer targets.

I think when he gets them right then he will be a good manager.

The issue is do we give him time or get somebody else in , start from scratch (because they will want their own players in) and put up with their faults ??

I say give Shez time.

Edited by losesome

Isn't it funny that although there are lots of posts from the same old gobsheites calling for Shez to go the poll says different.

Still as we all know gobsheites in the minority always shout the loudest.

Oh and Cotterill, pmsl, quality stint at Burnley. As for Boothroyd, great if we want hoof ball and Dowie?? Never go back, and that t*** should never be allowed to comeback. He wouldn't anyway he only likes it when he's got loads of doah to spend.

I'm amazed nobody has yet championed that sad old fumbler Stan Ternent.

Some people live in gaga land.

If Shez went its not a matter of who we would get as opposed to who would take it ??

BIG difference.

Back in 1990 when we played Utd in semi they were all saying if we won then AF would be sacked.

proportionately he had far more resources than Shez at the time and look how he struggled.

Admitted that under Shez we have had some really bad games but we have also had some of the best performances since big Joe -

Leeds twice away , Everton , Huddersfield away , Scunny , Forest to name a few.

We expect too much , get real , and wake up to the fact we are a financilly struggling team in League one with gates bearly covering 5000. Losing money and fortunately owners who rescued us from the mire.Probably in the league one of well off we would be in the relegation zone but we expect promotion !!!!!

I think given time he will get it right but admit he has a few faults that need ironing out.

1/ Man management (think i read on a post somewhere that he is struggling not be one of the boys) thats the biggest problem in any management job when promoted from within.

2/ Dithering with transfer targets.

I think when he gets them right then he will be a good manager.

The issue is do we give him time or get somebody else in , start from scratch (because they will want their own players in) and put up with their faults ??

I say give Shez time.

Agree 100%. Big Joe had a two year honeymoon period followed by some pretty dire seasons. It is even tougher now for smaller clubs. Shez is a genuine fan of the club unlike Talbot Warnock and M**** I find it amazing that some people seriously think he should go. Its interesting to read the extremes of opinion on a message board but I think people need a reality check and should be careful what they wish for.

2/ Dithering with transfer targets

1/ - I'd agree with that. I never quite understood/was comfortable with him wanting the players to call him Shez. TO my mind he should be gaffer or boss or whatever. I know if a minor point but they do say familiarity breeds contempt.

2/ Not sure I agree too much with that. He said over this whole Byfield thing that he had the player lined up and was waiting for it to happen. I know he was dithering in the last transfer window but we seemed to get our business done and dusted early doors in this close season.

Agree 100%. Big Joe had a two year honeymoon period followed by some pretty dire seasons. It is even tougher now for smaller clubs. Shez is a genuine fan of the club unlike Talbot Warnock and M**** I find it amazing that some people seriously think he should go. Its interesting to read the extremes of opinion on a message board but I think people need a reality check and should be careful what they wish for.

Indeed Eddy, I always site this season 2 November - 11 January when people are moaning. JR didn't get sacked more by good luck than good judgement, as in we couldn't afford to. Good job really as it all turned out. Still that was then, people today would have had Joe hung drawn and quartered by now, they know better cos they listen to the expert pundits on Sky and play championship manager or whatever its called. Anyhow I'll admit to being at 10 of the 11 games in that run, if anybody went to Fulham from these parts, hats off to you.

This striker situation was out of Shez's control. O'Grady looked out of his depth and a dip back in the League 2 pool was a wise move. For Davies to then go postal (allegedly), Allesandra to go missing, Smalley to go off injured and Hughes to go and do the one thing he had openly been criticised for recently was unfortunate from a manager's point of view.

I totally agree with that Johnny and was going to post something similar.

O'Grady was out on loan and unable to be recalled inside the first month when whatever happened with Davies did indeed happen. Alessandra's form has been up and down and lets face it, I don't reckon Shez anticipated that he might need to utilise Smalley upfront nevermind have him injured and unavailable.

I think he has come in for a lot of unfair criticism over the striking situation. Perhaps he could have managed the Davies thing better but nobody knows for sure what went on there, and it seems clear that with Davies' previous baggage, there are issues with the boy.