Sheridan - Should he stay or should he go.

Guest sheridans_world

Sheridan - Leave or go?  

309 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the faith or lost the faith?

• Sheridan to STAY
    • Sheridan to GO
    • To stay, if he pulls his finger out!
  2. 2. Time frame if you said stay - how long should he get?

• Sheridan will get until Christmas
    • See what he does in the January transfer window
    • Until the end of the season
    • Definatley here until next season

We expect too much , get real , and wake up to the fact we are a financilly struggling team in League one with gates bearly covering 5000. Losing money and fortunately owners who rescued us from the mire.Probably in the league one of well off we would be in the relegation zone but we expect promotion !!!!!

Sorry, but this again is one of my big problems with the club at the moment.... we never said we should be challenging for promotion, we never said we should be in the third round of the FA Cup, we never said we had a god given right to beat anyone....

... our owners and management did. As an Oldham fan I expect absolutley nothing - however when I am told that the owners expect promotion, and have put the finances together to be one of the best teams in the leauge... well, then theres your benchmark, and there is the rod for sheridans back.

Your saviour like owners are the ones demanding promotion - not us. And that has now filtered through to us, and hey presto, shez is under pressure from all sides. Unfortunately when you make claims like we will be at least in the playoffs and have one of the bnest squads in the division, when you play like a pub team you tend to get some stick...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100%. Big Joe had a two year honeymoon period followed by some pretty dire seasons. It is even tougher now for smaller clubs. Shez is a genuine fan of the club unlike Talbot Warnock and M**** I find it amazing that some people seriously think he should go. Its interesting to read the extremes of opinion on a message board but I think people need a reality check and should be careful what they wish for.

Always said that the two seasons after the play-off defeat in 87 we were very average. Joe was allowed to use this time to bring in a few big names and allow time for the young players to bed into the team. The year after we kicked on ... Littlewood cup final was reached but underneath the joy of the cup football I was seriously deflated that we seriously screwed up in the league.

Luckly we continued our great form and got up. If we hadn't that season the team would have been broken up and our three seasons in the top flight would not have happened.

That said I believe this current squad of players is good enough now to get promoted, early results and the Scunny game have proved this. Consistancy is very much the key word, as many as stated, and this is something Shez,in my opinion, has struggled to get whilst at the club helm.

Play-off season he had the luxury of picking the same team for much of the season. But we really struggled to find form towards the end of the season as we lost players to bans (Wellens most notably) and injury. The rest is history.

Last year injuries to the squad was unbelievable .... to finish 8th with practically what was the second sting on paper at the beginning of the season was for me better than the year before.

I have a few theories / a little knowledge at what is going on. Whatever the reasons for this lack of consistancy the buck has to stop with Shez and at the same Shez is the only man who can sort this out. He needs to support of the fans at the moment and I just cannot believe that we have reached the stage of running polls as to whether he goes or stays.. I can't put into words how angry it makes me feel.

Additionally having your employers publicly being critical of you must be very difficult to take. If there's talk of poor man management at the club Corney needs to look in the mirror. Yes he pays the bills but an he really believe his honestly is helping or stiring up a hornets nest????

I really hope he can sort this out sooner or than later because I have no doubts he will have a good career in management.... as someone pointed out he seems to find it hard not being one of the lads and he may actually find being a manager at another club will come much easier for him. I want to see hin grit his teeth, let all this talk flow over his head and get the results everyone connected with this club wants .... for now I am reserving my judgement to a later date.

KTF

I will admit that l have never been a big fan of Shez as a manager, simply because in my opinion, and that is what it is, he does not have enough " football management savvy " between the ears.

Now l may have got this bit a little wrong, but as l understand it at the moment there are three players which were brought to the club for a fee. Ie: three players bought with TTA's money. They are Davies, O'Grady and Stephens. Two are sent out on loan to get game time because Shez considers them not good enough for the first team at the moment, and the other is one for " the future ", although what future Shez hopes to perceive whilst the guy sits on the bench for game after game after game, l do not know.

If l was one of TTA's, the next time, if there is one, when Shez came knocking on my door asking for circa £50,000.00 to buy a player he just had to have, l think l know what my response would be.

shez out not for me, at this stage(but voted to give him to the end of the season we are still in with a shout of promotion, only a few points from auto wiv a definite shout for the playoffs

would like to ask though, from the managerial merry go round that goes on at our level, who all the shez out brigade would bring in? now

shez out not for me, at this stage(but voted to give him to the end of the season we are still in with a shout of promotion, only a few points from auto wiv a definite shout for the playoffs

would like to ask though, from the managerial merry go round that goes on at our level, who all the shez out brigade would bring in? now

I know who it would be ... but not appropriate to discuss following my previous post

P.S just realised this was directed as the shez out brigade ... I'm not !!!!

Some people live in gaga land.

If Shez went its not a matter of who we would get as opposed to who would take it ??

BIG difference.

Back in 1990 when we played Utd in semi they were all saying if we won then AF would be sacked.

proportionately he had far more resources than Shez at the time and look how he struggled.

Admitted that under Shez we have had some really bad games but we have also had some of the best performances since big Joe -

Leeds twice away , Everton , Huddersfield away , Scunny , Forest to name a few.

We expect too much , get real , and wake up to the fact we are a financilly struggling team in League one with gates bearly covering 5000. Losing money and fortunately owners who rescued us from the mire.Probably in the league one of well off we would be in the relegation zone but we expect promotion !!!!!

I think given time he will get it right but admit he has a few faults that need ironing out.

His two main probems appear to be -

1/ Man management (think i read on a post somewhere that he is struggling not be one of the boys) thats the biggest problem in any management job when promoted from within.

2/ Dithering with transfer targets.

I think when he gets them right then he will be a good manager.

The issue is do we give him time or get somebody else in , start from scratch (because they will want their own players in) and put up with their faults ??

scummers where talking abou Taggart being sacked if they had lost to Forest in the third round before Mark Robins Saved bacon in that round and it continued, seems like a lot of scummers who were around then, have erased it fom the memory, WOuld that happen to Shez out brigsde if we went to beeter things wiv him

I say give Shez time.

Sorry, but this again is one of my big problems with the club at the moment.... we never said we should be challenging for promotion, we never said we should be in the third round of the FA Cup, we never said we had a god given right to beat anyone....

... our owners and management did. As an Oldham fan I expect absolutley nothing - however when I am told that the owners expect promotion, and have put the finances together to be one of the best teams in the leauge... well, then theres your benchmark, and there is the rod for sheridans back.

Your saviour like owners are the ones demanding promotion - not us. And that has now filtered through to us, and hey presto, shez is under pressure from all sides. Unfortunately when you make claims like we will be at least in the playoffs and have one of the bnest squads in the division, when you play like a pub team you tend to get some stick...

Then TTA are living in gaga land.

Yes they have saved us from possible bankruptcy and ploughed a few quid in but if they think that allowing a big wage bill for Shez to bring in loan players is some guarantee of expectation of promotion then they certainly are in gaga land.

Look at Leeds and the millions spent on their squad - where are they , in exactly the same position as us.

Says a lot for Shez !!

I know who it would be ... but not appropriate to discuss following my previous post

P.S just realised this was directed as the shez out brigade ... I'm not !!!!

Reading between the lines, that appears to suggest that a replacement for Shez has already been discussed at a senior level within the club !

Yes they have saved us from possible bankruptcy and ploughed a few quid in but if they think that allowing a big wage bill for Shez to bring in loan players is some guarantee of expectation of promotion then they certainly are in gaga land.

Look at Leeds and the millions spent on their squad - where are they , in exactly the same position as us.

Says a lot for Shez !!

So based on that principle, we should get rid of the highly paid players and cut costs.

The Wolf and Lewis up front every week?

Comparisons with Big Joe are way off the mark. We were in a division above that what we are at present, and we had crowds at the bottom of the division and owners who unlike now took from, rather than gave to, the club. I don't think that TTA will sack Shez in the immediate future, but if the bad run of form continues until xmas, he will surely be sacked.

I'm surprised that support for Shez is so overwhelming.

But he needs to sort it!

In a nutshell - he is the one who has to sort out the team and the tactics and then the belief will come back - and with it we climb again.

On the other hand - if he doesn't then I suppose it is he who will fall. But for now there is time and an opportunity - let's hope that all at the club pull in the same direction. :)

I'm surprised that support for Shez is so overwhelming.

But he needs to sort it!

I'm backing him 110%! That means I could back track 10% and still be completely behind him!

He is still learning as a manager - he's only in his 3rd season - if he were a player he'd now be what, 20 years old?

I'm telling you - he'll get us up there - just back the players!!!!

Says a lot for Shez !!

Err... I'm sorry, but spending a lot of money on a big wage bill for better players does exactly what you say (and you actually choose your words very aptly) - it gives a guarantee of expectation of promotion...

If you had said this does not guarantee promotion then I would have agreed with you wholheartedly, however the exact thing that spending lots of money does is raise expectations. Now, you mention Leeds, do you honestly think that Gary Mac would still be in a job if last season he had missed out on the playoffs, or not be up there right now? That is the expectancy for a club like leeds - to be challenging, even Papa Smurf realised they did everything they could last season...

Now, i'm not saying at all we are in the financial clout of Leeds, however, The TTA are talking like that, and Shez has said at the start of the season the team is good enough to get promoted... now, whether we do or not is not the point, however they have all agreed the expectancy is there..... so to be not challenging, and playing like a pub team is not acceptable...

Still time to turn it round - why I voted he should stay until xmas... howver, that is 6 weeks to get this team playing again, otherwise no-one will be expecting this team to get promoted, and shez will be out of the door...

My memories not what it was, can someone remind me what position we were in when the gob:censored:es.......... sorry people started to call for Ronnie Moores head?

The minute he signed his contract, or there abouts. Never wanted to be here, had no, zero, zilch, nada interest in this club at all, you don't build a solid foundation with a waster like that, simple as. Ronald is the only manager in 32 years I have ever called for to be sacked, and if by some miracle I live another 32 years I hope he will still be the only one.

Chopping and changing managers doesn't work, it really is that simple. Build a solid base, get consistency on the playing side by having a dedicated coaching staff who all want to move the club forward and we might get some where. The current scenario reminds me of the clamour of many experts to demand the removal of Ritchie, which was just as farcical and pointless.

As for saying comparisons with JR are way off the mark, no there not.

Anyway Coco if you're inferring I was a gobsheite regards Ronnie, well maybe so but we all default from the norm sometimes, trouble is with some people "gobsheite" IS the default setting, but I think you're handily placed to comment on that one eh?

My memories not what it was, can someone remind me what position we were in when the gob:censored:es.......... sorry people started to call for Ronnie Moores head?

Ask yourself why people wanted him out!

He didnt give a toss really about Oldham, he was a major noob with the fans and the football wasnt exactly great .. give me Shez anyday!

Ask yourself why people wanted him out!

He didnt give a toss really about Oldham, he was a major noob with the fans and the football wasnt exactly great .. give me Shez anyday!

But we were always in a decent position in the league with him up until the last few weeks of that season.

But we were always in a decent position in the league with him up until the last few weeks of that season.

The style of football was rubbish - he came out with the same old post match rubbish - alienated himself from the fans and I think we went something like nearly half a season without being able to score in the 2nd half = rubbish (IMO).

Seriously - Neil warnock was better then him and that's saying something!

Isn't it funny that although there are lots of posts from the same old gobsheites calling for Shez to go the poll says different.

As mentioned previously, for some reason the poll won't accept 'Shez Out' votes from some people. Hardly a conclusive result when that happens.

Guest oa_exile
As mentioned previously, for some reason the poll won't accept 'Shez Out' votes from some people. Hardly a conclusive result when that happens.

It wont let you just vote "Shez Go" you have to say when (second part) and that does not include "immediatly go" ......why ? :blink: I dont know :blink: ...I didnt set up the Poll :blink: