I very much doubt that there are many strikers in this league earning anywhere near that much money.

I bet the leading scorer in this division by a country mile, lambert, isnt on that wage!!!!

Really? Signed on when Bristols were throwing money around like it was out of fashion. I reckon he'll be there and there abouts (actually I think he'll be on a good bit more, but we'll stick with there and there abouts). I'd say there will be a good few on more than Hughes in nigh on every position.

Guessing, I'd wonder what Hayes (Scunthorpe), Fryatt (Leics), Hayles (Leics), Dickov (Leics), Harris (Millwall), Johnson (MK), McLean (Peterboro), Beckford (leeds), Becchio (Leeds), Showumni (Leeds), Christie (leeds), Kandol (Leeds/Millwall), Freedman (Southend), Barnard (Southend), Greenacre (Tranmere), Moore (Tranmere), Duffy (B Rovers), Parker (Huddersfield), Cadamarteri (Huddersfield), Jevons (Huddersfield), Beckett (Huddersfield), Booth (Huddersfield), Murray (Brighton), Forster (Brighton), Graham (Carlisle), Dobie (Carlisle) and Gillespie (Colchester) are on. :censored:, other than those 27 I reckon even Vernon will be on that now.

:

:laught30:

Very good. Most good strikers are happy to turn up for 30 bob, clean kit, and a fish and chip supper after away matches.

Since when did I say he would be playing for peanuts???

What I said was I doubt he will be on more than £1500 a week at Bristol Rovers at a club who are mid table, just avoided relegation last year, similar following to ourselves in only their 2nd season in this division since getting promotion.

My point was unless you are leeds utd or leicester city, or maybe millwall who announced losses of 6 mill!!!!!!! you dont find too many players in this league on that sort of money!!!!!

Edited by Lookers_Carl

I very much doubt that there are many strikers in this league earning anywhere near that much money.

I bet the leading scorer in this division by a country mile, lambert, isnt on that wage!!!!

I can guarantee he is... Rovers gave him a new contract about 6 weeks back when it was reported that Brizzle City were sniffing round... he will be on £2k easy... (this is going to sound very gay) but my hairdresser is best mates with Steve Phillips, who says Lambert is the highest paid player in the team by over £1k...

Trust me, the top striker on every team in this division will be high earner and on at least £2k.... that includes the likes of Murray, Cox, Lambert, Graham etc... there is no way we would be able to replace Hughes for an equivalent with the same amount of cash....

But the simple point is that we wont be able to afford hughes in this division next season... so, we either get promoted or cash in on him.... again, I think the next 6 weeks will be crucial in that decision... start winning games and stay at the top and we might just retain enough ambition to keep him...

WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THE HUGHES SITUATION WOULD YOU SELL??? ITS A VERY TOUGH CALL FOR THE TTA do they gamble on it with hughes or do they cash in risk a fans backlash and prob put promotion back becuae with hughes we have a better chance with him than without him... i wouldnt like to call that one...

we only get 5 fans and a lot of us are slagging em off now anyway so wouldnt be that radical

I can guarantee he is... Rovers gave him a new contract about 6 weeks back when it was reported that Brizzle City were sniffing round... he will be on £2k easy... (this is going to sound very gay) but my hairdresser is best mates with Steve Phillips, who says Lambert is the highest paid player in the team by over £1k...

Trust me, the top striker on every team in this division will be high earner and on at least £2k.... that includes the likes of Murray, Cox, Lambert, Graham etc... there is no way we would be able to replace Hughes for an equivalent with the same amount of cash....

But the simple point is that we wont be able to afford hughes in this division next season... so, we either get promoted or cash in on him.... again, I think the next 6 weeks will be crucial in that decision... start winning games and stay at the top and we might just retain enough ambition to keep him...

We would be able to replace him, just with someone who is not as good as him.

Like what has been said regarding lambert, I would imagine that every club, including ours, would have one player who is on considerably more than the rest. If lambert is on more than 1500 a week, fair enough I hold my hands up, but the point I was making is that although at every club in this division you will get your higher paid players, the average wage at most of them will not exceed 1k a week. And I know at some clubs yeovil and hereford to name two, the average wage is probably closer to 500 quid a week.

Freedman left the final year of a contract he signed in the Premiership to go to Southend, I suspect you could multiply £1.5k several times over to get to his salary. Didn't Corney state the range of wages he was paying in one of his interviews? I seem to remember it going from £1k to 2.5k, or did I just make that up?

I get it....let's get rid of the clubs only proven quality striker, (sorry wolfie! :D ) bring in an average one, say Paul o Grady or one for the warnettes...bring paul warne back, give him a grand an half a week again and then this time next year, you can continue moaning how we need to sign a quality striker! Legends!!

Issues..yes

Injury prone...yes

Can we do without him this season....Definately not.

Reason for edit; Not all moan! :D

Edited by futchers briefs

Hughes is not one of the top earners at the Club , was this not made public when he signed ? or am I going mad again ? :blink:

Basically I dont think we can bring in a Striker of his calibre for what we are paying him.

He is by far the best FOOTBALLER we have had since David Eyres,there is no substitute for class and its as simple as that.

All this negativity towards him beggers belief,I admit he is not brightest of lads but he is light years ahead as a Footballer from certain fans favourites of the last few years.

Carlo, Carlo Anyone!

I think blumax is spot on - he is the best player we have by a country mile, though Taylor and whittaker this year have bridged some of that gap, gregan is capable, looking forward to seeing what byfield brings. However if we have ambitions to play championship football we need to hold onto the hughes' when they come along

I think blumax is spot on - he is the best player we have by a country mile, though Taylor and whittaker this year have bridged some of that gap, gregan is capable, looking forward to seeing what byfield brings. However if we have ambitions to play championship football we need to hold onto the hughes' when they come along

it all depends on how many goals hughes is going to score surely....

if he isnt bagging one every two games will clubs seriously come looking for him.....

his destiny is at his own feet so to speak...score a shed load of goals then he has a dilema...stay to get us up knowing clubs will want him,or jump ship early and leave us in the mire....

if he wants to play in the championship he has to score the goals to get us there,thats the kind of ambition you need,not wether the owners have the ambition to keep him or not.

his destiny is at his own feet so to speak...score a shed load of goals then he has a dilema...stay to get us up knowing clubs will want him,or jump ship early and leave us in the mire....

If he's any scruples, considering what the club has done for him, he'd sign a new contract now with a get out clause of a minimum £150k should the club not go up.

If he's any scruples, considering what the club has done for him, he'd sign a new contract now with a get out clause of a minimum £150k should the club not go up.

:blink:

I think at the moment the shoe is very clearly on the other foot... would he sign such a contract... maybe, however I think Mr Corney is curently a world away from offering Hughes any type of contract.

... I can see it already, all this about Hughesy not being needed, so fair enough... he will leave, and then suddenly people realise what a loss he is and he becomes the biggest villain at the club since porter... even though our short sighted management team never even put a sniff of a new contact in front of him....

Lets as a theoretical question.... Hughes and Byfield hit it off, score 10 goals between them over the next six weeks.... you telling me then that someone isnt going to offer him a deal in January?? Because at the moment, I guarantee it wont be bloody Oldham....

:blink:

I think at the moment the shoe is very clearly on the other foot... would he sign such a contract... maybe, however I think Mr Corney is curently a world away from offering Hughes any type of contract.

... I can see it already, all this about Hughesy not being needed, so fair enough... he will leave, and then suddenly people realise what a loss he is and he becomes the biggest villain at the club since porter... even though our short sighted management team never even put a sniff of a new contact in front of him....

Lets as a theoretical question.... Hughes and Byfield hit it off, score 10 goals between them over the next six weeks.... you telling me then that someone isnt going to offer him a deal in January?? Because at the moment, I guarantee it wont be bloody Oldham....

for all we know the club could of already held very informal talks on a new deal already....it may not have gone so well and that could be why mr corney was so upset the other week...

lets face it unless we have a hidden cam in the managers room when deals are being done then everything is pure speculation.

hughes has not hid his desire to play once more at a higher level,and i would think it would be safe to assume should he score sufficient goals but we miss out on going up for other reasons that he would be justified in leaving.

the thing that puzzles me is he didnt want to be cuptied,which leads me to believe there is already an offer waiting to come in for him in january....i dont have a problem with this as long as the club dont get shafted again ala porter.... who knows if byfield fires and extends his loan any money for hughes could go on byfield signing permanantly....

for the sentimaentals amongst us,we would hope due to how the club and fans have treated hughes since his arrival,that he would gleefully sign a new contract,even if its only a 1 year deal which would mean we would get a fee if he did move...

the simple plan is easy,lee scores 20 goals we go up he stays and plays at his higher level with us.....piece of cake innit.

They havent. Trust me. Possibly the exact opposite. Unless Mr Corney has had a change of heart in the last couple of weeks or so.

why should we trust you???

surely if someone had inside information about any possible deals or no deals for our most important player the masses would want to know....

Not so long ago Hughesy was pissed off about not being offered a new deal. Dunno if that's still the case. Ed, you claim he didn't want to be cup-tied? FFS get a grip. And dean1984......missing just two games through injury this season, and rarely being subbed, doesn't imply he is "always out injured". And to answer your other question, he has scored about 13 goals in the season and a third since he got out of prison. He's had a fair few assists too.

Edit: I think Mike's suggestion of offering a new deal with a release clause makes good sense.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Not so long ago Hughesy was pissed off about not being offered a new deal. Dunno if that's still the case. Ed, you claim he didn't want to be cup-tied? FFS get a grip. And dean1984......missing just two games through injury this season, and rarely being subbed, doesn't imply he is "always out injured". And to answer your other question, he has scored about 13 goals in the season and a third since he got out of prison. He's had a fair few assists too.

Edit: I think Mike's suggestion of offering a new deal with a release clause makes good sense.

get a grip of what.

so are we putting his tempestuous booking against yeovil down as sheer bad luck then,or seeing as he did smirk when booked maybe just maybe he knew what he was doing.

if a club in the championship is offering him a way back to higher league football and still in the fa cup would they want to invest in a player that wouldnt be able to play in important games..

you could say his red card last week was a little harsh...but his first booking wasnt,he deserved it for kicking the ball away...adrenalin or stupidity....players know they will be booked if they do it....knowing how important the cup replay was then to a certain extent shez was wrong for keeping him on the pitch,but again knowing you have got one yellow in a game would put you on edge a bit thinking christ,if i do owt stupid im off here....

you have your opinion and i and others have our opinions and each and every one of us is entitled to say it how we think it is,right or wrongly....

get a grip of what.

so are we putting his tempestuous booking against yeovil down as sheer bad luck then,or seeing as he did smirk when booked maybe just maybe he knew what he was doing.

if a club in the championship is offering him a way back to higher league football and still in the fa cup would they want to invest in a player that wouldnt be able to play in important games..

you could say his red card last week was a little harsh...but his first booking wasnt,he deserved it for kicking the ball away...adrenalin or stupidity....players know they will be booked if they do it....knowing how important the cup replay was then to a certain extent shez was wrong for keeping him on the pitch,but again knowing you have got one yellow in a game would put you on edge a bit thinking christ,if i do owt stupid im off here....

you have your opinion and i and others have our opinions and each and every one of us is entitled to say it how we think it is,right or wrongly....

Hughes is one of the players we have had over the years who fans will go to any lengths to find fault in. A smirk, indeed.

...knowing you have got one yellow in a game would put you on edge a bit thinking christ,if i do owt stupid im off here....

Yesterday, Sram got a booking for bouncing the ball in a fit of petulance. :disappointed: The booking had to be issued under the laws which the ref administers, but the ref (from Kent with Essex sympathies) interpreted many other 'ungentlemanly conduct' offences by Southend players as not worthy of bookings, which drove Latics players and supporters into a rage at times. Late in the game Stam could easily have got a second yellow (which would have knackered us for Tuesday with Rubes already out), but Allott did a great job of pleading his case in a long discussion with the ref to escape Stam's second booking.

Yesterday, Sram got a booking for bouncing the ball in a fit of petulance. :disappointed: The booking had to be issued under the laws which the ref administers, but the ref (from Kent with Essex sympathies) interpreted many other 'ungentlemanly conduct' offences by Southend players as not worthy of bookings, which drove Latics players and supporters into a rage at times. Late in the game Stam could easily have got a second yellow (which would have knackered us for Tuesday with Rubes already out), but Allott did a great job of pleading his case in a long discussion with the ref to escape Stam's second booking.

V True Diego........Allotts pleading was at the request of Crossley (ref, not mark :grin: ), He pointed Allott towards him, obviously telling him to let Jap know any more and he's walking.....Ratboy duly obliged..........."he used to be :censored:e...but now he's alright......."