Simon Corney

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that people may have been turned off by the fact we didn't beat a near bottom of the table side last Tuesday in all fairness.

To use a phrase that is normally associated with stocks and shares that has got s all in this financial mess - "Past performance is no indicator of future performance" Its a funny old game, sometimes you tonk the lower teams like we did when we beat them 4-0 other times they bite you on the bum like they did last week. Preaching to the converted but the beauty of going to the game is that you get to see all sides. You don't attend to see the win, you attend to see the game and hope that we win.

To use a phrase that is normally associated with stocks and shares that has got s all in this financial mess - "Past performance is no indicator of future performance" Its a funny old game, sometimes you tonk the lower teams like we did when we beat them 4-0 other times they bite you on the bum like they did last week. Preaching to the converted but the beauty of going to the game is that you get to see all sides. You don't attend to see the win, you attend to see the game and hope that we win.

I disagree with that – YOU may attend to see all sides and hope we win (as many of the hardcore would). However we are not talking about the hardcore, we are talking about the ones that didn’t turn up last night and you, I, TTA and everyone else should seek to understand what motivates them to go not you.

Tonight's attendance must be soul destroying for TTA.

Maybe. But if you'd have looked at the fixtures from the start of the season, you could have nailed down the Walsall game as one for potentially lowest home crowd of the season.

They never travel well (for a Midlands club where everything is in reasonably easy reach, 120 fans is pretty pathetic)

Likely to be either cold, wet and/or miserable

A month before Christmas

Before most peoples pay day (i.e. people like me who get paid at the end of a month)

So add to the fact there is very little incentive put in place like there was at the Yeovil/Scunny matches and it's fairly obvious there wasn't going to be a big crowd there. So I don't think TTA will be overly surprised at that one. If they are they're getting a bit naive.

I can see the Brighton game being poor too, unless they put something in place like a discount on the Leyton Orient game should we win the Brighton match or something.

Around where I sit there were at least 7 season ticket holders who didn't turn up last night, so it's not just the pay-on-the-dayers who are staying away.

Some clubs count season ticket holders at matches whether or not they attend. A fiddle, I grant you, but it might make TTA a little less gloomy if they did the same.

Sorry Tony but any 'floater' (in the nicest possible sense) who witnessed Yeovil and Cheltenham at home would have probably looked at the weather, then at the CL schedule on TV and then in their wallet and thought.................nah!

TTA can bitch all they want about crowds but until the product on the pitch improves consistently, we'll always struggle to attract the stayaways, particularly at £20 a pop.

Some clubs count season ticket holders at matches whether or not they attend. A fiddle, I grant you, but it might make TTA a little less gloomy if they did the same.

We established on Monday that the VAT element of the income from season ticket holders has already been paid to the Government. If absent ST holders were included in the attendance, the VAT man would be expecting his share all over again based on the quoted attendance.

Sorry Tony but any 'floater' (in the nicest possible sense) who witnessed Yeovil and Cheltenham at home would have probably looked at the weather, then at the CL schedule on TV and then in their wallet and thought.................nah!

I very much doubt any "floaters" attended either game ... they only come out for the Leeds/Hudds and maybe Leicester games.

On your theory, after the Everton game we should have had a full house the next home game but we didnt, attendances wont consistently rise until were in the championship and doing well(ish).

Edited by kellys_discopants

cheers disco. suprised theres not been a rumour from someones mams hairdressers daughter, who's bedding a youth team player and his dad was in israel and bumped into simon corneys mates camel groomer who told him that the game was purposely played last night so we can use the 4000 attendance as justification for selling taylor for £62 plus a bag of deep fried birds feet.

Guest oa_exile

Recent events have shown that approx 1000 hard core fans have now dropped off (hopefully short tem).

Our recent up-turn in League form (Northampton & Sarfend) has not been enough to get the fans back.

It seem's the Yeovil game did some damage to fans moral :(

Tonight's attendance must be soul destroying for TTA.

Well TBH if they would describe last night att as soul destroying I really dont know what they expect.

Agreed 4000 is not great but this is the same 3800-4200 we get every single cold Tuesday night between November and Febuary when Champions League is on the telly.....

I dont like to see only 4k at BP but this seems to come as a suprise to people each time it happens and the same comments appear on the message boards. I think TTA need to get used to it when we are playing this calibre of opposition on a freezing Tuesday night!!!!! Now if we got this same att in the Championship against the likes of Wolves, Wednesday, Brum etc etc then that could be described as soul destroying!

Just take a look at crowds of the teams of similar stature last night and it is clear we all have the same problems

Tranmere vs Scunny 4000 home fans turned up

Northampton Vs Leeds 4300 home fans turned up

Stockport vs Brighton 4900 home fans turned up

Cheltenham vs Southend 2700 home fans

Hartlepool only had 3000 home fans turn up

also:

Millwalls crowd was down by around 2000 on their usual Saturday crowds

Leicester were down by around 3000 fans

Recent events have shown that approx 1000 hard core fans have now dropped off (hopefully short tem).

Our recent up-turn in League form (Northampton & Sarfend) has not been enough to get the fans back.

It seem's the Yeovil game did some damage to fans moral :(

Off the saturday games .. from last season (all Tuesday nights):

Luton - 4251

Carlisle - 4701

Swindon - 3923

Hartlepool - 3765

I know i missed Leeds off but there was no point using that game as they brought 4600 on there own! Carlisle would have been doing well and would have brought afew hundred max, So as you can see, we havent lost any fans at all really for night games.

On a freezing cold november night, crap home performance two home games before, full CL schedule.

What did they expect in all honesty?

I think that people may have been turned off by the fact we didn't beat a near bottom of the table side last Tuesday in all fairness.

Do you mean the few people who saw that dire performance or the vast majority who read about it? Why weren't the readers turned on by the victories at Northampton and Southend?

...Though nice to see a larger than normal crowd for Northampton beating Leeds!

If we'd been playing Leeds last night I suspect that the cold night, CL on TV and economic reasons would have suddenly evaporated.

I very much doubt any "floaters" attended either game ... they only come out for the Leeds/Hudds and maybe Leicester games.

On your theory, after the Everton game we should have had a full house the next home game but we didnt, attendances wont consistently rise until were in the championship and doing well(ish).

Spot on!

i thought carlilse was sub 4000? 2-0 mcdonald? the birth of 'angry yet annoyingly positive fan'

Nope, not according to the OS anyway.

Why would new fans want to come anyway ... all they get is abuse. "Glory-supporters" or "where were you last week" etc, people cant moan that they dont come and then moan that they do ... it just dosent work.

Well TBH if they would describe last night att as soul destroying I really dont know what they expect.

Agreed 4000 is not great but this is the same 3800-4200 we get every single cold Tuesday night between November and Febuary when Champions League is on the telly.....

I dont like to see only 4k at BP but this seems to come as a suprise to people each time it happens and the same comments appear on the message boards. I think TTA need to get used to it when we are playing this calibre of opposition on a freezing Tuesday night!!!!! Now if we got this same att in the Championship against the likes of Wolves, Wednesday, Brum etc etc then that could be described as soul destroying!

Just take a look at crowds of the teams of similar stature last night and it is clear we all have the same problems

Tranmere vs Scunny 4000 home fans turned up

Northampton Vs Leeds 4300 home fans turned up

Stockport vs Brighton 4900 home fans turned up

Cheltenham vs Southend 2700 home fans

Hartlepool only had 3000 home fans turn up

also:

Millwalls crowd was down by around 2000 on their usual Saturday crowds

Leicester were down by around 3000 fans

When Corporal Jones reads that you consider Northampton, Cheltenham and Hartlepool as being of similar stature to us.....I reckon he will hunt you down and terminate you.

Why would new fans want to come anyway ... all they get is abuse. "Glory-supporters" or "where were you last week" etc, people cant moan that they dont come and then moan that they do ... it just dosent work.

Are you saying that some actually say that to people at BP? Or are you saying comments on here have deterred people from going again after they have put in an appearance?

TTA can bitch all they want about crowds but until the product on the pitch improves consistently, we'll always struggle to attract the stayaways, particularly at £20 a pop.

Consistency, and a resulting sense of progress for the club, is indeed the key. However, as already mentioned, some of the crowds we are getting now are considerably lower than during the no-hope days of Ritchie and the Brierley-led board. And crowds are not improving like they did (although modestly) during the last couple of periods where it looked like we might have been going places, under Dowie and during Shez's first proper season in charge.

Something is definitely happening. Football is begining to feel the cold reality outside the bubble. Somebody said to me earlier that at Birmingham-on course for a return to the Premiership- there were 15,000 last night. I haven't checked, so I don't know if it's true. Meanwhile clubs like Bolton and Blackburn have struggled for a couple of seasons now to match attendances they were getting only a few years ago. Sheffield Wednesday, a big club despite their problems, are seeing crowds of 16,000 or so-their worst since their 1970s/ early 80's crisis period.

Having said all that, some clubs at our level and below have managed to boost their crowds. We all know about Bradford, but why do Stockport, a club that existed until recently on crowds averaging little more than around two thirds of ours (and that was only during their 'glory days' and their aftermath-before that they used to get about 2,000), now averaging more than we are?

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Are you saying that some actually say that to people at BP? Or are you saying comments on here have deterred people from going again after they have put in an appearance?

We can go round this all day. TTA will be dissappointed, as were most latics fans. but the discussion is always between people who do go to the games. 3900 is shambolic. I think TTA have a right to be gutted, but I dont hear much from Hardy/Corney - Bob Gorrel (When he was here not doing very much) about what they are doing new!!!!!!!! to get people to BP. You cant just expect people to come, not leading up to xmas on a cold November night. Think we need to see what the Brighton attendance is before people get carried away.