Keep The Faith argument

Guest oa_exile
Help required to settle argument.

When did the Keep The Faith motto come in and why?

The eldests bail money's riding on this.

Not 100% sure on this .......... so dont pay out just yet :lol:

Was it introduced after we went belly up."The Trust" started the motto / slogan ?

Not 100% sure on this .......... so dont pay out just yet :lol:

Was it introduced after we went belly up."The Trust" started the motto / slogan ?

It was earlier than that wasn't it? I think it might have been Big Joe who coined the phrase back in the Prem days. I dunno...

Like exile sez, don't pay out yet! :lol:

It was earlier than that wasn't it? I think it might have been Big Joe who coined the phrase. I dunno...

Like exile sez, don't pay out yet! :lol:

I sure it was, cos I was going to get a tat of the oldham crest and KEEP THE FAITH underneath it and it was about 1996/97 during the rum years...

I didn't get the tat. It was all rum talk.

I sure it was, cos I was going to get a tat of the oldham crest and KEEP THE FAITH underneath it and it was about 1996/97 during the rum years...

I didn't get the tat. It was all rum talk.

it was in the premiership after the "pinch me season" then the "keeping the dream alive season" we took it to wembley against the scum.

My recollection was that it was a phrase from Joe (ala Pinch Me, Ice Station Zebra etc - the man seemed to have a gift for it) during the clubs first season in the Premiership.

Generally everything seemed bleak (BTB even produced their last edition that season with a black border for "The Relegation Special" near the end of the season things were so grim) and it was in an interview about the time of the 2-2 draw at Everton. Generally it was simply telling the supporters to not give up because the players hadn't and that we needed to 'Keep the Faith' that everything would turn out alright.

There followed one of the most (THE most according to the Telegraph about a year ago) great escapes as Latics stayed up and it became part of Latics Lore. A year later when THE flag was made for the Wembley trip in the F.A.Cup the slogan was put on there and the re-occurrence of the falg over the years kept the phrase alive and its now burnt into all Latics fans and has been on the bottom of our shirts.

On a recent thread on the BBC 606 forum about Gregan - a number of Latics fans had posted with Keep the Faith at the bottom of their entries. To which a supporter of another club commented and said we seemed to be showing tendencies of a religious cult more than a football team. Made me laugh anyway.

Happy to stand corrected, but I don't recall mention of the phrase before then.