If I was Deane Smalley...

Oh and drphibes - would you be interested if you had a 5 min run out every 6 weeks.......!

How players respond to that question has more to do with who makes it as a footballer than natural talent ever did. That's why Chris Hall is a bit part actor whilst people like Paul Warne have had successful playing careers with less natural talent. It's up to Smalley how he goes. He looks short of fitness at times, remember Shez talking about how his young players trained shortly before Smalley falling down the pecking order?

Do agree with you DrP... but what is there at the moment to idicate to the fringe players that you might actually get a shot if you do that?

So many times there has been chinks of light, and then everything is forgotten for the next saturday.

Lets wait until hartlepool... at home, game there to be taking from a team who attack well but cant defend for toffee... Shall we pick a team to take the game to them? Watch this space...*

Personally I might be suffering from only seeing the team play at BP, it seems such a long time since I came away from the ground thinking that was a good performance. It frustrated me when the subs do get a chance and sometimes seem to be half-hearted. We cannot afford many more below par performances at home or I can quite easily see the crowd getting the hump.

*needless to say i virtually guarantee Captain Pathetic will occupy the right wing, taking the game to them from somewhere 40 yards beind play...

I agree, he should have seen more action this season- however, in the games last season and the other bits i've seen of him in between, i'm not sure if he has enough character, self belief or desire to cut it at a decent level. Someine mentioned about his heading ability, without any of the pre-mentioned attributes, he is unlikely to make anything of it.

Though he certainly has the ability to do so, as LL said earlier, talent is a waste of time if you cannot deliver it.

Personally I might be suffering from only seeing the team play at BP, it seems such a long time since I came away from the ground thinking that was a good performance. It frustrated me when the subs do get a chance and sometimes seem to be half-hearted. We cannot afford many more below par performances at home or I can quite easily see the crowd getting the hump.

Just to clarify - the words of DrP... not myself! :wink:

Think I would suffer from the exact opposite syndrome.... If I saw every home game I think i would be positively suicidal by now!

For whatever reason, I feel lucky to have been privileged to some of latics away performances.... however they are even now getting few and far between... and very rarely do we ever pull it out for 90 minutes - home or away.

Perhaps the reason for our good start was that all our players felt thier place was a risk... now they obviously arent, perhaps complacency has set in. Who bloody knows.... however being an Oldham reserve/fringe player must be one of the most unrewarding jobs in football.

Just to clarify - the words of DrP... not myself! :wink:

Think I would suffer from the exact opposite syndrome.... If I saw every home game I think i would be positively suicidal by now!

For whatever reason, I feel lucky to have been privileged to some of latics away performances.... however they are even now getting few and far between... and very rarely do we ever pull it out for 90 minutes - home or away.

Perhaps the reason for our good start was that all our players felt thier place was a risk... now they obviously arent, perhaps complacency has set in. Who bloody knows.... however being an Oldham reserve/fringe player must be one of the most unrewarding jobs in football.

i agree. shez was right with lee i suppose didnt do great against carlisle so out of next game although personally i think he should have been given a bit longer but the principal is right but this should happen with all the players but it doesnt,drop taylor to bench next game that may give him the kick up the backside he needs and so on,nobody should be untouchable

im sick of some oldham fans now, far too negative how can anyone be saying he might cut it at droylsden not good enough etc. its a fu**in joke. He hasnt had a decent chance at all. why do some of our fans need so many scapegoats and players to jump on when things go wrong. Look at maher 60 minutes against millwall first game of the season and hes suddenly a shocking signing by shez and now all of a sudden hes an excellent player who whitaker shouldn't replace. some of you dont give anyone a chance at all.

im sick of some oldham fans now, far too negative how can anyone be saying he might cut it at droylsden not good enough etc. its a fu**in joke. He hasnt had a decent chance at all. why do some of our fans need so many scapegoats and players to jump on when things go wrong. Look at maher 60 minutes against millwall first game of the season and hes suddenly a shocking signing by shez and now all of a sudden hes an excellent player who whitaker shouldn't replace. some of you dont give anyone a chance at all.

makes you cringe does'nt it. :( ktf.

Indeed i agree...

personally think it's time to give someone a chance over liddell and revert back to a lewis/hughes strike partnership.....my choice this week...

Flemming

Lomax - Hazell - Gregan - Eardley

Maher - Allott - Whittiker

Taylor - Hughes - Davies

Subs

Lee

Byfield

Stam

Allesendra

Smalley

Hartlepool can't defend - so lets have a real go.

Indeed i agree...

personally think it's time to give someone a chance over liddell and revert back to a lewis/hughes strike partnership.....my choice this week...(Lewis would be in for a front 2)

Flemming

Taylor - Hughes - Davies

Subs

Lee

Byfield

Stam

Allesendra

Smalley

Indeed i agree...

personally think it's time to give someone a chance over liddell and revert back to a lewis/hughes strike partnership.....my choice this week...(Lewis would be in for a front 2)

Flemming

Taylor - Hughes - Davies

Subs

Lee

Byfield

Stam

Allesendra

Smalley

maybe he looks like hes lacking fitness as ressie games are few and far between...everyone knows if you play regular your fitness levels increase,and when the need arises to go in the first team your ready...he hasnt been given a chance this season.....i can understand shez sticking with liddell for the first 7 or 8 games,he was playing decent and defying his age and legs..however the last few weeks he hasnt looked the same player....

the exact same thing can be said of whittacker,great early doors bad last 10 games....even taylor hasnt been himself in recent weeks since jones got injured....

this is what has happened in the last 2 seasons,there or there abouts at the half way point,some injuries to key players and a failure to bring in adequate cover...

as soon as jones was out for 12 weeks we should of been onto stoke trying to get that winger back...instead we dont and as a result taylor is suffering as there is no one to overlap...

instead we will have shez's mates playing no matter how bad they are and the rumblings of we lack a cutting edge,no desire,we cant finish teams off....too many draws are going to cost us...