the 'super' bowl

so super that the main event is the half time show lol. what a crap sport! i dont like rugby, but even id rather watch that, than rugby with helmets, shoulder pads and legal steroid use. yanks make me chuckle.

while were here, baseball??? just cos they cant play cricket!

ice hockey? probably because they couldnt win at normal hockey!

basketball? probably because they couldnt win at netball!

U S A

U S A

U S A

so super that the main event is the half time show lol. what a crap sport! i dont like rugby, but even id rather watch that, than rugby with helmets, shoulder pads and legal steroid use. yanks make me chuckle.

U S A

U S A

U S A

Ice hockey was invented in Canada.

Basketball was invented before Netball.

Netball was invented in America.

Although I agree with your point Daz...the superbowl is gash. I was confused last year to wake up to be told that I had to watch the end because it was so exciting...the last minute and a half was so tense...and then when I watched it, the last minute and a half took like half an hour. I'm sure it's great if you're there, but deary me it bores you to tears if you're not.

U S A

U S A

U S A

I think a post like this just shows an utter disregards for the technique and skill associated in any professional sport. The US sports may be different, but I have to say that frequently in basketball, NFL and Basketball, there is more skill and tactics involved than any sports we know. I would love to see some of our footballers who cant even follow a managers 1-line whip, follow a pro-football playbook. Plus quarterbacks are probably some of the most talented sportsment on the planet.

If you have ever seen any of these sports played at the top level live you would think differently, Basketball isnt even comparable to netball on a skill level. Personally i think baseball is the most abysmal sport on the planet, however the technique and speed of some of the fielding, pitching, and batting is staggering.

As for Ice Hockey, well i'm Biased, but for me it is the toughest, most skillful, aggressive, brutal and most entertaining sport in the world, it makes field hockey look like childsplay and a frigging doddle... but I suppose you will never have played it, so you cant comment...

Actually in my book, Football and Rugby are two of the easiest and least skillful sports in the world. The fact they are so easily playable makes them so popular. I love football, but to place it on a skill level above any of those american sports - nah way... its a doddle. Plus. 80+ regular season games in the Ice Hockey season + playoffs... i'd love to see some of the pampered idiots in our football game do that...

Guest sheridans_world
I think a post like this just shows ........ the pampered idiots in our football game do that...

Because Rugby and Football flow so well, without and breaks during play (just half-time) I think alot of people get frustrated with the fragmentation of some of these sports. Baseball is a sport that isnt very quick, daz is correct to say their 'cricket'. Games often lasting over three hours (double our 90minute concentration period :grin: ). American football, well, I dont profess to be an expert in any American sport, I dont follow any, but I do watch the superbowl. Christ its a long game, but the skill and tactics involved are amazing. Its all about spotting if a hand-off is to the left, or to the right and reacting instantly.

I have always held the opionion that basketball is a better sport that netball :)

Guest sheridans_world
Are you for real? Women play Netball, Women with short skirts.........they may like other Women but who cares.

Yes I said better sport, I didnt say which one I'd prefer to watch :naughty:

I would love to see some of our footballers who cant even follow a managers 1-line whip, follow a pro-football playbook. Plus quarterbacks are probably some of the most talented sportsment on the planet.

X's and O's....

The step up from College Football and NFL is immense, the NCAA QB's know about 200 offensive plays and the NFL QB's are expected to know around 800 - "just for one side of the ball" - just for one side! Defensive is about half that I think. You are right BF they are some of the smartest athletes on the planet. Well, all you have to do is check out the Combine which takes into account IQ levels, and psychometric tests (Cybex and Wonderlic) - I know there are plenty of intelligent footballers (soccer) out there, but taking a massive physical and mental test like the scouts Combine to just get a look in is an incredible feat that is expected of all professional players.

I have to stick up for RL though! I know Rugby League plays aren't selected before hand like Gridiron and it is more flowing, but the RL athletes are very, very fit - 80 minutes of speed and collision with minimal padding is an amazing test of a human body - hit after hit after hit....

For what it's worth - with the ferocity of hits that are in today's game, if American Football players didn't wear padding and helmets, somebody would die on the field very, very soon.

EDIT:

I believe that NFL players attend training camp to study. There's a lot that many don't know about the level of commitment NFL players put in to stay on top of the game...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview07/ne...tory?id=2973338

An excerpt from a Cardinals Playbook - you can bet it's an old one!

(PDF file) http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0828/...ls_playbook.pdf

For what it's worth - with the ferocity of hits that are in today's game, if American Football players didn't wear padding and helmets, somebody would die on the field very, very soon.

To be fair, that's a bit chicken and egg. They only hit so hard because they've always worn the protective gear.

X's and O's....

The step up from College Football and NFL is immense, the NCAA QB's know about 200 offensive plays and the NFL QB's are expected to know around 800 - "just for one side of the ball" - just for one side! Defensive is about half that I think. You are right BF they are some of the smartest athletes on the planet. Well, all you have to do is check out the Combine which takes into account IQ levels, and psychometric tests (Cybex and Wonderlic) - I know there are plenty of intelligent footballers (soccer) out there, but taking a massive physical and mental test like the scouts Combine to just get a look in is an incredible feat that is expected of all professional players.

Very true, and allegedly what a certain Mr Wenger has copied, or developed, in th creation of his recruitment and assesment tests for young players. His psychometric dossiers on players are massive and indicate just as much the potential of players as thier football ability in his opinion. Allegedly the reason why they wont meet Van persie's wage demands, as his psychometrics have slumped since when they signed him.

Think what this shows is that the standard required to play proffessional sport in america is far higher than in the UK IMO... hard to compare the sports, but with the size of the talent pool in the US, scouting and getting to the top is a whole different gravy.

It even etends down to school sports... cant imagine school teams over here creating local superstars, and frequently being the pinnacle of a persons sporting achievement like what happens in america... purely because the standard is still so high, and they know that the chances of ever making it to the next level (even college sport) is so minimal and competitive... Love to know even on here how many people on here who went to university played Uni sport, probably a lot, would be barely unheard of at the same level amongst the same group of people in america...

Very true, and allegedly what a certain Mr Wenger has copied, or developed, in th creation of his recruitment and assesment tests for young players. His psychometric dossiers on players are massive and indicate just as much the potential of players as thier football ability in his opinion. Allegedly the reason why they wont meet Van persie's wage demands, as his psychometrics have slumped since when they signed him.

Think what this shows is that the standard required to play proffessional sport in america is far higher than in the UK IMO... hard to compare the sports, but with the size of the talent pool in the US, scouting and getting to the top is a whole different gravy.

It even etends down to school sports... cant imagine school teams over here creating local superstars, and frequently being the pinnacle of a persons sporting achievement like what happens in america... purely because the standard is still so high, and they know that the chances of ever making it to the next level (even college sport) is so minimal and competitive... Love to know even on here how many people on here who went to university played Uni sport, probably a lot, would be barely unheard of at the same level amongst the same group of people in america...

I think this depends on the sport and the university. For example I played Rugby Union at school, but to play Rugby Union for Durham Uni 1st XV you had to have representative honours minimum (and quite a few ex Durham players are now professionals), I don't think I'd have even played for the thirds (which was as low as they went). However at the same uni I just walked on to the Rugby League team (well bench- but I ended up playing 60 minutes) by willing to turn up and being Northern enough to understand the game before an injury playing union for a different team put me out for the season. It was the same for some of the other sports that have university representation. But on the other hand Durham Uni Cricket team often plays the likes of Lancs in competitive games.

In the States, yeah, the big sports have competitve recruitment, but they play in front of crowds measured in the thousands not the tens like it is in this country. I wouldn't mind betting that most decent footballers in this country could play for a college 'soccer' team without too much hassell as soccer doesn't get the same kind of support the likes of American football does. Plus education in the states is not as compact as it is in this country, for example a town like Heywood (using this example as its the one I know best) in the states would have 1 school, but in the UK it has at least 4 (plus quite a few people who bus it to Bury or Rochdale- something else which doesn't go on in the states). This gives a much greater sense of community (IMHO) and that means more people care about the school sports teams. The same can be said of the universities in the States as the biggest university in the UK is now Manchester, (with about 25,000 students) but in the States it would struggle to make the top 25. The UK also has lots of seperate sports teams from school, for example when I was at school it wasn't unusual for me to play 2 games a week (one for school one for my club), go to the various training and maybe play another sport too. In the states, with the exception of Ice Hockey (as having an ice-rink is expensive for a school) this doesn't happen if you play American football for your school you don't they go and play for a club the next day. In the UK you also don't get people going to university because they are good at sport but might struggle to get 5A*-Cs at GCSE because virtually the only way to go pro is to go to uni and play the sport there. Plus as adults there is very little amateur sport in the states, certainly not to the level there is in this country, if you play American football you play it professionally or for college or for school so when you become too old for whatever level you can reach that is about it. The systems are different and I can see the positives in both forms.

I don't see the problem with any sport in the world tbh (at least any of the ones mentioned here), me personally i just love sport, i think if you sit down and try to grasp the basics of any game it can be enjoyed. I dont think its possible to enjoy a sport with knowing whats going on, and for me thats what i felt with the NFL before i started to be able to watch games. Didnt have a clue what was going on and was bored out me head, but ive eventually stuck with it, figured out the basics and now enjoy watching it when i do! same with any other, love the cricket, can watch baseball (those two i love because you can make a day of it and enjoy longer is the way i see it) rugby league is my second sport, can watch the union, mainly international, like basketball and ice hockey, enjoy the tennis, and dont mind the golf!! basically i love sport if you hadnt guessed :grin: dont get why people have to diss other sports, don't see what it gains?? as some one once said "cant we all just get along???" lol come on now one big group hug :grin:

(P.S. before any smart arses claim ive missed out football, id hope you'd take it as a given that you would think it would be my main and favourite sport!!!)

Edited by Oafc88