short breaks in europe

SAV

Her indoors is hitting the big 40 this time next year,she wants to go away for the weekend and my'Whoever we are playing away' didn't go down to well.

So the good people of owtb..give me some ideas

Definitely would stay out of the Euro land if you want to keep it cheap. Prague is a good bet if you’ve not been East Before though not as cheap as other places. Krakov is one of my favourite places, cheap to get there, cheap there, good food, nice place, bit of history (Schindlers List Factory and Auschwitz if you can stomach it). Bulgaria would be quite cheap to.

If not bothered by cost then Copenhagen is good. Flights not too bad but I would expect to be hitting £6.50-£7 a pint with the Euro at the moment. The scandanavians are top though.

i'm looking at croatia for the jollies this year..any recommendations as to areas to stay?

oh,sav,heed the warnings regarding eurozone countries..bloody expensive.

a pint in barca xmas 07 was about £2.80 in a local bar

same bar last dec,it was pushing £4.70..prices haven't been raised there-its purely the exchange rate.

With the euro murdering the pound at the mo (although I suppose it might not be doing so next year but I can't see the situation changing much) I'd stay away from countries in the Euro. Croatia might be a good shout actually, as I don't think it uses the euro. I've heard Split is nice, and it might be quite warm since its on the coast and a good way south, plus there is lots to do (even some football). Does it have to be in Europe? As Morocco or Turkey might be good options- as neither is in the euro, should be OK weather (not too cold) if you stay away from mountain areas and both have some cities with a bit of everything. Morocco probably isn't that much further in terms of travel than somewhere like Riga, but Turkey is probably about a 4 hour flight (which might push it for a weekend- especially if you have to change in London).

Copenhagen, Munich or Hamburg.

Copenhagen's beautiful but pricey. Munich's the cleanest place I've ever visited (and has some magnificent architecture). Hamburg is just aces; terrific night life and some nice restaurants.

finland.jpg

:lol:

Quality!

Says it all really! My grandad was actually at the front line of that 'combat' ... 20,000 finn's with machine guns along the russian border as truckloads of Russian troops just ran at them... couldnt have been pretty....and the losses on the big bad russian side were staggering...

Yes, I know all that stuff, but they play hockey, how hard can they really be?

Wind your neck in you... after your girlish attempts to play football i'd love to see you left in the middle of a hockey pitch whilst 5 blokes try to hammer you into plexi-glass whilst whacking a frozen piece of vulcanised rubber at your head at 100mph...

actually... you might enjoy the first part....

i'm looking at croatia for the jollies this year..any recommendations as to areas to stay?

oh,sav,heed the warnings regarding eurozone countries..bloody expensive.

a pint in barca xmas 07 was about £2.80 in a local bar

same bar last dec,it was pushing £4.70..prices haven't been raised there-its purely the exchange rate.

Dbrovnik is not a bad place, fantastic beaches, good seafood, bit of history, has its own airport, close to Montenegro and Bosnia for daytrips etc. I was there in 2004 and amongst my fellow tourists were Roman Abromovich and Tom Cruise who were visiting on their small boats. My mate nearly fell over the latter when walking down the street. It will be cheaper than most Euroland coastal places but I wouldn't say its necessarily cheap. The Pound has gone down against the Croatian Kuna so it will be more expensive than last year. If you want a cheap cheap holiday you could try Montenegro, Bulgaria or Albania who have got some decent coastal resorts.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Dbrovnik is not a bad place, fantastic beaches, good seafood, bit of history, has its own airport, close to Montenegro and Bosnia for daytrips etc. I was there in 2006 and amongst my fellow tourists were Roman Abromovich and Tom Cruise who were visiting on their small boats. My mate nearly fell over the latter when walking down the street. It will be cheaper than most Euroland coastal places but I wouldn't say its necessarily cheap. The Pound has gone down against the Croatian Kuna so it will be more expensive than last year. If you want a cheap cheap holiday you could try Montenegro, Bulgaria or Albania who have got some decent coastal resorts.

Also try tripadvisor.co.uk

Dbrovnik is not a bad place, fantastic beaches, good seafood, bit of history, has its own airport, close to Montenegro and Bosnia for daytrips etc. I was there in 2004 and amongst my fellow tourists were Roman Abromovich and Tom Cruise who were visiting on their small boats. My mate nearly fell over the latter when walking down the street. It will be cheaper than most Euroland coastal places but I wouldn't say its necessarily cheap. The Pound has gone down against the Croatian Kuna so it will be more expensive than last year. If you want a cheap cheap holiday you could try Montenegro, Bulgaria or Albania who have got some decent coastal resorts.

cheers mate.

finding already its getting expensive to even book a holiday there.

everyone will have the same idea getting out of eurozone.

can get a holiday southern spain,same weeks for £600 cheaper.now i know the euro-pound is lousy at the moment,but there will more cash in my pocket at the moment with that £600 saving,even taking the exchange rate into consideration.

swings and roundabouts.

seems lots of places are slashing apartment prices because they rely on brits.

think i'll do nothing but watch at the moment.