That there 'Oh When The Pinks...' poll

First thing yesterday there were 12 people against the one off kit idea, fine that was before the announcement of our clubs support for an utterly worthwhile and deserving local cause.

Now this morning 5 more are against, 5 isn't a lot I know but its 5 too many isn't it? Can I ask those against what it is they have against this idea. Not so everybody can rip them to shreds I am genuinely interested to know what the problem is.

As far as I can see 1 of the original 12 has admitted to a d'oh moment, but what of the others?

Would any of you please kindly explain why you don't support the initiative and therefore why it's a bad idea.

Like I say genuine question.

First thing yesterday there were 12 people against the one off kit idea, fine that was before the announcement of our clubs support for an utterly worthwhile and deserving local cause.

Now this morning 5 more are against, 5 isn't a lot I know but its 5 too many isn't it? Can I ask those against what it is they have against this idea. Not so everybody can rip them to shreds I am genuinely interested to know what the problem is.

As far as I can see 1 of the original 12 has admitted to a d'oh moment, but what of the others?

Would any of you please kindly explain why you don't support the initiative and therefore why it's a bad idea.

It could be that the objection is not to a 'one off' kit but to a 'one off pink kit' - for some blokes, pink just doesn't do it :wink:

Edited by TheBigDog

It could be that the objection is not to a 'one off' kit but to a 'one off pink kit' - for some blokes, pink just doesn't do it :wink:

Maybe so TBD, although they do say pink to make the boys... :wink:

Anyway no takers for the actual question yet, still its only been up a few hours although I suspect even if its still here after the Leeds game..... :tumbleweed:

Maybe so TBD, although they do say pink to make the boys... :wink:

Anyway no takers for the actual question yet, still its only been up a few hours although I suspect even if its still here after the Leeds game..... :tumbleweed:

yeah i asked the same question when the poll was started and got no answers.

maybe because if they say i dont like pink, its not a good enough answer.

yeah i asked the same question when the poll was started and got no answers.

maybe because if they say i dont like pink, its not a good enough answer.

Aye I noticed P, I did too, just thought I'd resurrect it as I really am curious about their reasons.

And you're right, saying I don't like pink won't do.

I'm one of the dirty dozen.

When asked "Would you support the club having a one off pink kit?" I said no - I'd have said no to a one off green kit, red kit, black kit, sky blue pink with yellow dots on kit. - Why would we have a one off kit?

The second question "Would you buy a pink shirt, if the money went to a cancer charity?" - My answer to this one is also no. I have a fair amount of wardrobe space taken up with Blue latics kits that I don't wear and don't want to spend the best part of £40 buying a pink one that would just add to this collection. I stopped buying kits a few years ago.

I voted before the announcement came out (pardon the pun) but still my answers remain the same.

If the first question was "Would you support the club playing in a one off pink kit in a game to raise awareness for breast cancer" I would have voted yes. My answer to the 2nd remains the same though, I wouldn't buy a pink kit and don't have any plans to buy a blue one either.

I voted before the announcement came out (pardon the pun) but still my answers remain the same.

If the first question was "Would you support the club playing in a one off pink kit in a game to raise awareness for breast cancer" I would have voted yes. My answer to the 2nd remains the same though, I wouldn't buy a pink kit and don't have any plans to buy a blue one either.

Thats why I said that first thing yesterday there were 12 people against the one off kit idea, fine that was before the announcement of our clubs support for an utterly worthwhile and deserving local cause. So I guess you are not one of the dirty dozen! You voted before.

It was more aimed at the people who still voted no once they knew what it was all about, so really the first question doesn't need rewording, does it?

I wasn't so bothered about not buying a shirt, I'm with you on that one, gave up aeons ago on shirts, easier to make a donation straight to them.

Jesus. People are allowed to vote on a poll without justifying theirself to you

I think it's a fair enough question to be honest. As StipeTripe has mentioned, it is a genuine question and its not so everyone can interrogate why. If the opinions of those who have said yes have been declared, its interesting to see the reasons why those who have said no, so like in any discussion on here, to understand both sides.

Edited by ste1987

When asked "Would you support the club having a one off pink kit?" I said no - I'd have said no to a one off green kit, red kit, black kit, sky blue pink with yellow dots on kit. - Why would we have a one off kit?

The second question "Would you buy a pink shirt, if the money went to a cancer charity?" - My answer to this one is also no. I have a fair amount of wardrobe space taken up with Blue latics kits that I don't wear and don't want to spend the best part of £40 buying a pink one that would just add to this collection. I stopped buying kits a few years ago.

I am too; for exactly the same reasons.

I am too; for exactly the same reasons.

Me too - same reasons as well. I stopped buying kits a while ago as they usually end up in the wardrobe. But I get them now and then as a Xmas or birthday present.

Ironically, some of my in-laws are, cough, "reds" and I hear some of them like the pink kit idea. <waits for homophobic Manure jokes>.

Who'd a thunk it, eh?

Next up: now that we are all being "open and honest" how about a debate on why we should remove "Keep The Faith" from the bottom of the back of our shirts...? :grin:

Edited by martjs

beag teats post I agree with.

Some people don't agree with charity, thats fair enough in my opinion. One of my old tutors when I was at college said he didn't support charities, because he believes they shouldn't exist. He said if the government did more then charities wouldn't need to do what they do. I don't agree with him, but if that is someones opinion then its someones opinion.

beag teats post I agree with.

Some people don't agree with charity, thats fair enough in my opinion. One of my old tutors when I was at college said he didn't support charities, because he believes they shouldn't exist. He said if the government did more then charities wouldn't need to do what they do. I don't agree with him, but if that is someones opinion then its someones opinion.

Well this has turned into a right old love in! I agree with your tutor, charities shouldn't exist but we don't live in an ideal world hence why they do.

I tell you what shouldn't exist either, them knobs that try and stop you in the street and get you to sign up to a direct debit to which ever charity has kitted them out in t-shirts that day. It is about twice a week now in Piccadilly, just near the tram lines on Market st, I've got very good at just scowling and shaking my head when Daisy or Tarquin or Numptina tries to engage me with a beaming smile. They catch sight of my fizog and negative body language and they suddenly find something on their shoes very interesting.

One of these days, if I have had a particularly bad day I am tempted to stop and see how quickly I could make one of them cry using both my limited and extensive vocabulary - cruel I know but after putting in a shift, wading through the sheeple milling about in Piccadilly, dodging the trams then having to dodge these bellends too will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Well this has turned into a right old love in! I agree with your tutor, charities shouldn't exist but we don't live in an ideal world hence why they do.

I tell you what shouldn't exist either, them knobs that try and stop you in the street and get you to sign up to a direct debit to which ever charity has kitted them out in t-shirts that day. It is about twice a week now in Piccadilly, just near the tram lines on Market st, I've got very good at just scowling and shaking my head when Daisy or Tarquin or Numptina tries to engage me with a beaming smile. They catch sight of my fizog and negative body language and they suddenly find something on their shoes very interesting.

One of these days, if I have had a particularly bad day I am tempted to stop and see how quickly I could make one of them cry using both my limited and extensive vocabulary - cruel I know but after putting in a shift, wading through the sheeple milling about in Piccadilly, dodging the trams then having to dodge these bellends too will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Once I was walking through Oldham town centre, ipod on and in a world of my own. Noticed this one charity woman, ignored her. She then followed me for about 20 yards, but I didnt realise until she had crept up round me and got right in my face and said something (dont know what, listening to music). So I stopped, took the earphones out and asked "what?"..."Have you got a minute sir"..."No". Why I did not give her a right mouthful I do not know, but I do remember being really pissed off that some one had interrupted such a good song! (cant remember what the song was, but its my iPod so must have been good)

Okay I'm going to admit to only reading the opening post so sorry if something along these lines has already been mentioned.

I am against the pink kit idea as it stands at the moment. I feel Latics are going about it all wrong. Its all good and well wanting to raise money for a very worthwhile cause and help raise their profile but as it stands at the moment, how much money do they think they are going to raise?

Lets say each of the 16 matchday shirts are auctioned off for between £200 and £500 each that is a minimum of £3200 and a maximum of £8000. Now lets say out of the whole Rochdale Road End that Leeds have been allocated 1000 of their fans throw in a quid thats £1000. Now lets assume half the Latics fans (reduced numbers because Leeds have the whole of the RRE) throw in a quid each and that is around £3500. So I make out that Latics could make, if everything goes well, £12500. I'm sure the recipent of the charity would be very greatful, but I'm also sure that Latics could do alot more. They could have taken orders of the shirt between now and the Leeds game when all orders cease. They then put the orders in to the manufactor who supplies the demand to Oldham Athletic with all profits from the £40 shirt going to charity. I would hazzard a guess that they would sell at least 1000 shirts at £40 a pop, then you can have your auction and your bucket collections and probably make over £50000 for charity. A freind who I work with has just raised £7500 for charity on his own for running an Iron Man event in France and he is only one man. Surely Latics could be doing alot more? Although like I said I'm sure the Victoria Breast Unit will appreciate all the help and exposure the club are creating for them, yet £50K is alot closer to £250K then £12.5K.

Jesus. People are allowed to vote on a poll without justifying theirself to you

I thought I'd asked a sensible polite question out of genuine interest, I didn't ask anybody to justify themselves, and in return you'll notice sensible replies from people, that's if you can be bothered to extend yourself to actually reading them. Or is the best use of your time to post miserable otiose one liners like that? If so then its says way more about you than me.

Okay I'm going to admit to only reading the opening post so sorry if something along these lines has already been mentioned.

I am against the pink kit idea as it stands at the moment. I feel Latics are going about it all wrong. Its all good and well wanting to raise money for a very worthwhile cause and help raise their profile but as it stands at the moment, how much money do they think they are going to raise?

Lets say each of the 16 matchday shirts are auctioned off for between £200 and £500 each that is a minimum of £3200 and a maximum of £8000. Now lets say out of the whole Rochdale Road End that Leeds have been allocated 1000 of their fans throw in a quid thats £1000. Now lets assume half the Latics fans (reduced numbers because Leeds have the whole of the RRE) throw in a quid each and that is around £3500. So I make out that Latics could make, if everything goes well, £12500. I'm sure the recipent of the charity would be very greatful, but I'm also sure that Latics could do alot more. They could have taken orders of the shirt between now and the Leeds game when all orders cease. They then put the orders in to the manufactor who supplies the demand to Oldham Athletic with all profits from the £40 shirt going to charity. I would hazzard a guess that they would sell at least 1000 shirts at £40 a pop, then you can have your auction and your bucket collections and probably make over £50000 for charity. A freind who I work with has just raised £7500 for charity on his own for running an Iron Man event in France and he is only one man. Surely Latics could be doing alot more? Although like I said I'm sure the Victoria Breast Unit will appreciate all the help and exposure the club are creating for them, yet £50K is alot closer to £250K then £12.5K.

I see what you're saying, but it isn't really a reason to be against it? I'm sure the unit would be more than grateful for the £12500 you suggest, but shirts aside I'm sure the raised profile of the charity via the exposure Latics have given it will raise a whole lot more that can't be quantified. Its the sort of thing that'll bring in donations from far and wide and from people who would never have heard of the charity otherwise.

I do think however more money could be made raffling the matchday shirts, on a borough/local basis cos I'm sure people with not interest in Latics would stump up a quid or two for a ticket. As for Latics selling replicas, well people now in the heat of the moment and being proud of what we've done say they'd buy one, but when push comes to shove and Latics stocked them would they still do it?