Players Budget for NEXT season

OAFC4EVA

Players Budget for next SEASON  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Apparently the club operate with a players budget in the top 10 of League 1 and if we did not get promoted this season what would you like to see happen with the players budget which, one assumes, will have to be relative to the cost of Season Tickets.

• Would you be prepared to pay £30 more for your season ticket if the Directors kept the same player's budget for next season?
    • Would you prefer to keep the season ticket prices the same and have a slightly reduced player's budget for next season?
    • Would you prefer a reduction in season ticket prices say of £30 with a vastly reduced player's budget?
    • Not bothered has you will be buying a ST not matter what the price is ! (If reasonable)

Been thinking today about what will happen to some of the players at the club currently if we do get promoted and if the worst happens, we dont go up :unsure:

Can we afford to keep our good players? How would the club finance theirs and new players wages ?

Been thinking today about what will happen to some of the players at the club currently if we do get promoted and if the worst happens, we dont go up :unsure:

Can we afford to keep our good players? How would the club finance theirs and new players wages ?

Would personally be prepared to pay the extra £30 a season on top of the current season ticket prices if it means we can have a decent budget to compete with.

Pedantic moment 1:

The poll should make statements to vote for, not ask a range of questions.

Point 2:

£30 x 3,000 season ticket holders = £90k minus those who pack in Latics - 5% attrition = 150 x £350 = £52,500.

I don't think £37,500 (£90k - £52.5k) will make a difference.

Voted the same, but was tempted for a reduction. Reasons:

1) Any price rise would more than likely be met by a reduction in uptake and therefore not actually raise ST revenue.

2) If ST go up, then presumably gate fees go up. A further redcution in income if we have a blip (i.e. don't win 6 games on the bounce 5-0).

3) The economy is in recession - fans have less money, sponsors have less income etc - a rise could be suicidal and have long term significant impacts on the future of the club (further disillustionment = crowds sub 4000 = out of business?)

4) If the ecomony suffers, surely we can start offerring new contracts on lower wages? Other clubs in the same boat and therefore a lesser offer shuld still be competitive - clubs risking smaller squads as well, therefore more competition for the remaining contracts?

I'd happily take another 2 or 3 years in this division (even if it means not being near the promotion hunt) for the long term stabilty of the club. I know there are many on here that believe if we don't go up soon we'll go bust, but increasing prices in the same division during a recession will bring that around even sooner.

Unless my personal circumstances take a turn for the worse then I will happily pay the extra £30 however between now and the summer people will sadly lose their jobs and in fact over the 12 month period bewteen May o8 and May 09 I can imagine their may be a few fans who are financially worse off and going to have to sacrifice going to the football.

However if we don't go up and an offer comes in for Chris Taylor then I would imagine that TTA's price maybe slightly lower than it was in January and if we were in league 1 next season the summer would be an opportune time to cash in so long as the interest is there.

Don't think for one minute that getting into The Championship will solve all our financial worries it will create plenty of problems The average salary for a Championship player is reportedly 4 X that of his League 1 counterpart so if we want to compete and stay in the league above we would have to pay top dollar for Championship standard players. The Championship has grown since we were last in it alot of teams now are getting over 20'000 regularly, and in fact I read somewhere (think it was either The Times or WSC) that The Championship has the 4th highest aggregate attendences in Europe only beaten by The Premiership, The Bundersliga and La Liga so more people watch the Championship than Seria A! So competing in that division won't be easy for us as a club it will take us a little while to establish ourselves and it will take hard work to do so. However Championship football is more likely to get the Oldham public to come out and back their team than League 1 football will. Ofcourse I wouldn't expect that to happen en masse but we would get an increase in support plus away teams will be able to fill more than 1 letter in the seating of the RRE too.

Unless my personal circumstances take a turn for the worse then I will happily pay the extra £30 however between now and the summer people will sadly lose their jobs and in fact over the 12 month period bewteen May o8 and May 09 I can imagine their may be a few fans who are financially worse off and going to have to sacrifice going to the football.

However if we don't go up and an offer comes in for Chris Taylor then I would imagine that TTA's price maybe slightly lower than it was in January and if we were in league 1 next season the summer would be an opportune time to cash in so long as the interest is there.

Don't think for one minute that getting into The Championship will solve all our financial worries it will create plenty of problems The average salary for a Championship player is reportedly 4 X that of his League 1 counterpart so if we want to compete and stay in the league above we would have to pay top dollar for Championship standard players. The Championship has grown since we were last in it alot of teams now are getting over 20'000 regularly, and in fact I read somewhere (think it was either The Times or WSC) that The Championship has the 4th highest aggregate attendences in Europe only beaten by The Premiership, The Bundersliga and La Liga so more people watch the Championship than Seria A! So competing in that division won't be easy for us as a club it will take us a little while to establish ourselves and it will take hard work to do so. However Championship football is more likely to get the Oldham public to come out and back their team than League 1 football will. Ofcourse I wouldn't expect that to happen en masse but we would get an increase in support plus away teams will be able to fill more than 1 letter in the seating of the RRE too.

where is the option of "not bothered cant afford a season ticket will pick n choose pay on the gate"

like has been said,there country is on its backside,and thats when luxurys go down,and latics to a lot of people is certainly a luxury.

i know the club has held season ticket prices for 3 years now,but compared to 3 years ago im guessing our budget has actually gone up,although like for like st sales have more than likely stayed the same or dropped a little. im basing this on the fact that we are now attracting a better class of player,as opposed to 3 years ago.

i think if we dont go up,then a lot of our players will leave or have to be sold to balance the books,this maybe able to keep season ticket prices down,but what kind of team would we have and where would that leave us regarding going up.

if we do go up,then i think its a guarentee that prices will go up,just how much i wouldnt like to say....but if city are gonna sell theres for £320 ish,i dont think you can justify a rise to £420-£450......or could you.

We've been down this route before. Put the prices up to pay for a better squad, and look where that got us (nowhere!).

In the current financial climate, I know TTA need to make the money from somewhere, but with so many people being made redundant/out of work/job not exactly secure, I think we should keep ticket prices as they are.

If we stayed in league 1 next season and the price of a ticket went up to say £25, then sorry but to pay that on a regular basis would be unfair for a league 1 match, and would price me out of watching my beloved latics!

Edited by laticsmad

When are you refering to ? The Moores era?

i think he is reffering to ronnie moores era...where we had the big meeting in the rre and the owners said look,if you want us to go up we have to increase the budget to buy better players which means putting season ticket prices up.

i mentioned in another thread that all championship and coca cola league clubs should get together to try and sort out some form of consistant revenue from tv...

i read this week that setanta sports are unhappy that sky have again hijacked them and they are left with not many games to show.

maybe this would be a good time for our leagues club to get together and try and get a deal with them,i wouldnt imagine it would be vast amounts of money like the greedy league,but like the saying goes...every little helps.

This is a very good poll and a very tricky question. And I haven't voted yet cos I can't decide!

I'm sure I will buy a season ticket whatever the price (within reason), unless I lose my job between now and then (which is not entirely unlikely...).

But the underlying question is what do we think the club should do? If we go up then prices will rise - they will have to. So let's assume for a moment that we don't:

The way I see it, whatever anyone at the club says about next season's actual budget, if season ticket prices rise then fans' expectations will rise too, probably exponentially and unrealistically. (Anyone who doubts that only needs to see how 'aiming for promotion' this season has been turned by many fans into some kind of cast iron guaranteed promise).

Match prices are already high enough for 3rd division football - I wouldn't want to see them rise above the current £20, and I don't think season tickets should rise beyond the current factor of roughly 2/3rds (i.e. 2/3 x £20 x 23 games).

The current financial climate has to be considered. And I can't see increasing prices for effectively the same thing being a good move in a recession.

So, all in all, I think prices should remain the same (but scrap the £20 RRE discount) and the club will need to cut its cloth and set expectations accordingly, BUT I'll probably buy a season ticket whatever happens!

Putting ST's prices up would be a pretty disasterous business decision I think, especially in this climate. People are fearful of losing their jobs, and it will mean more people making a sacrifice to less important things like going to the football on a Saturday to watch us play the same old Swindons and Northamptons.

If we go up however, different beast altogether baby.

I'm not sure the price of a ST makes that much difference in terms of the economic climate. If you have lost your job or are fearful that you will do then £300 or £330 makes little difference, it's money you most likely don't have or won't spend either way. It's more likely that pay on the day punters would be more affected I think, a lot of them are people who can't find the cash up front or afford every game, an increase for them would hit attendances harder when cash is tight. And as we know, if STs go up so does pay on the day or else STs are a crap deal. I don't think a price rise in this division would serve any purpose at all.

Would prefer the option of a Bradford City/Port Vale/Huddersfield type innovation, whereby STs are £100-£150, which would hopefully result in a full stadium.

its not financially viable.those clubs have grounds capable of holding 15k and more....and are more or less certain to retain that level of support.

our capacity is reduced as it is...

if you look at like this £250 a season ticket,if you get 5k sales gives you 1 million pounds i think(maths not strong point)

but that is summising if the club did do a deal,a bit more realistically priced like 250,that people jump on board and buy them.there is no guarentee that people will,thats assuming we stay in this division

if we go up,and current season ticket buyers increas to 5k,i think its certain the club would increase prices to around 400 mark,that would give you roughly 2 million.

I'm not sure the price of a ST makes that much difference in terms of the economic climate. If you have lost your job or are fearful that you will do then £300 or £330 makes little difference, it's money you most likely don't have or won't spend either way. It's more likely that pay on the day punters would be more affected I think, a lot of them are people who can't find the cash up front or afford every game, an increase for them would hit attendances harder when cash is tight. And as we know, if STs go up so does pay on the day or else STs are a crap deal. I don't think a price rise in this division would serve any purpose at all.

It may make a little difference, but it's still a difference. And it's a lump sum of money in June to fork out if you're organised like me and don't put £25 a month away to take the sting out of it. Someone who has lost their job or fears like they may not have one in the near future will look at things like going to the football on a Saturday as money they don't need to fork out. It's something I considered when I lost my job at Christmas though I picked one up soon after which changed things.

Since when is £300 or £330 little difference? Even £30 a month makes quite a bit of difference to me.

Options for the RRE also interest me.

1) I think season tickets should be discounted a little to cover the inconvenience of being messed about for big games.

2) I think that the "advance sales" discount of £2 a ticket should be removed for games where there is a big away following. Why the hell are we allowing Leeds fans to buy tickets for this game at £18? It seems like throwing away a guaranteed £9,000 to me.

Edited by opinions4u