Latics keen to extend Golbourne's stay

With DJ coming back surely this suggests Golbourne may play on the left with Jones? Taylor on the right with either Eardley or Hines? We have a few options for the flanks now

I have to say, although th big loser in all of that is Deane Smalley... I like it. :)

So many options to interchange them, in theory all can play at full back or wing, and Taylor on either side. Would give lots more options to counter the "pass to taylor on the left wing" stereotype...

we could also have either taylor and smalley as attacking midfielder, it would be good to see a bit of pace down the middle, although i think maher and allott are playing pretty well itsa been said we dont offer as much at home with these two in the same side.

we could also have either taylor and smalley as attacking midfielder, it would be good to see a bit of pace down the middle, although i think maher and allott are playing pretty well itsa been said we dont offer as much at home with these two in the same side.

dont offer much at home as in what???? two solid dependable central midfielders that break up the game and get things going.....and mahers set pieces.....

gouldbourne is a decent left back,and so is jones although jones is more inclined to get forward.if we keep them both for rest of season its a bonus,gives us lots of different options and formation possibilities,where people were saying visiting teams have worked us out....well not anymore.

cant see jones playing this weekend,as he wont be anywhere near match fitness,so think it will be taylor n smalley once more.

I don't see anything bad in looking to extend Scott's stay with us; it just adds to the options we have at our disposal.

3 Left backs Scott / DJ & Lomax

3 Right backs - Eards / Hines & Lomax

Options for 3 Left Mids - Taylor / Smalley & DJ

Options for 4 Right Mids - Taylor / Eardley / Smalley & Lidds

Scott to continue at Left Back until DJ regains match fitness; then its an out & out battle beteen them to see who gets the spot.

Hines also gives us cover at CB for when Reubs gets suspensed.

It's what you need to sustain a promotion push - options in all areas of the pitch; defencively we're looking more than ok at present i'd say!

its been said before that with maher and allott in centre mid we dont offer as much going forward, neither have that creative spark or that bit of pace imo, i like the both of them there both very good players but for me we need a creative midfielder, i think with scott at lb, dj left wing, hines rb, smalley or taylor right wing then either of them 2 in the middle, it would give us pace all over midfield, i think this would work especially at home where in recent times we have been over run in midfield. thats why sheridan has said he wants a another midfielder.

then when we get injuries suspensions etc we have plenty of cover to cover all the positions.

Simply not good enough at Left back. Glad we're looking at strengthening our options there.

Glad? I'm bloody joyeous. We haven't had one since Charlton. Now we'll have two, even if temporarily.

(alright we had Bertrand but it removes my dramatic overelaborating).

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Great move if it comes off.

He seems like a steady-Eddie kind of player who, although not likely to bomb forward too often, is certainly capable of rescue acts at the back (2 of his clearances off the line were top-notch!). His record of 4 goals conceded in 5 games is pretty impressive too.

its been said before that with maher and allott in centre mid we dont offer as much going forward, neither have that creative spark or that bit of pace imo, i like the both of them there both very good players but for me we need a creative midfielder, i think with scott at lb, dj left wing, hines rb, smalley or taylor right wing then either of them 2 in the middle, it would give us pace all over midfield, i think this would work especially at home where in recent times we have been over run in midfield. thats why sheridan has said he wants a another midfielder.

then when we get injuries suspensions etc we have plenty of cover to cover all the positions.

midfield cover....lee,whittacker,stephens,liddell.....you can also push eardly into midfield like what he did lasy home game,also jones is good at going forward so if goldbourne is at left back and jones at left wing taylor can play in midfield....there is your pace..

however if you play like that it means double the work for allott,as it means taylor has to perform his defensive duties to the letter or else leave a big gap in central midfield.

what they may lack in going forward,they certainly make up for it passing it out wide to the pace players to bomb forward and create.

think shes is happy with his midfield,otherwise he wouldnt of brought in another defender.