Corney calls for salary cap

Love the comment below the article

"some people have short term memories - do you remember a certain chris moore? now that was a clueless regime. fully agree with mr corney and once again, fair play to the board for backing one of the most promising lower league managers in the country"

:grin:

The other poster is even more stupid...

"Chris moore left on a sour note but he funded the 50k a month without moaning at the fans, spent money on real players over 500k and got us to the play offs, what has this regime done except moan about attendance figures."

:shock:

The other poster is even more stupid...

"Chris moore left on a sour note but he funded the 50k a month without moaning at the fans, spent money on real players over 500k and got us to the play offs, what has this regime done except moan about attendance figures."

:shock:

Is someone trying a woosh out on the Bison??

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

It all right saying salary cap if it was a figure like £5k week.

But they are usually goverened by % of income which means the bigger clubs can pay more .

They get bigger and better players and the league will end up a financial one not a points one ??

I suspect that this is exactly what will happen.

I can understand the call for a salary cap, but it has to be done on a fair basis, otherwise it's goodbye aspiration for clubs like ours.

I suspect that this is exactly what will happen.

I can understand the call for a salary cap, but it has to be done on a fair basis, otherwise it's goodbye aspiration for clubs like ours.

with the downturn in finance from TTA i suspect we might have a player/manager next season if we dont go up. i.e. 2 wages into one.

The Premier League is already one that's decided on the basis of finance. Why not take matters to their logical conclusion and make the rest the same?

Because it takes away the hope of clubs like ours ever getting promotion -

If i was a millionaire why shouldn't i be allowed to plough my money into Latics and pay some top class players to get us into a higher league.

Salary caps will stop that happening.

with the downturn in finance from TTA i suspect we might have a player/manager next season if we dont go up. i.e. 2 wages into one.

WTF! I can't think of a single example of a successful player/manager in the history of the game, and I think this is a non-starter TBH.

The thing I could see for teams in the future is more Premier League fringe players being allowed out on season-long loans and their wages being paid partially by the parent club and partially by the loaning club.

A more radical idea could be for clubs across the board to lower their prices to try and increase the attendance.

A simple example of this would be if say 3000 Adults and 2000 kids & OAPs come to BP and all paid on the day (for ease of reckoning) it would bring 3000 x £20 = £60,000 plus 2000 x £10 = £20,000, but if prices were dropped by a fiver per person of what they are now, more people would be inclined to go. So assume this has the effect on more home & away fans deciding to attend, and the ground was full at 10,000 we'd see the following figures:

6000 Adults @ £15 each = £90,000

4000 Kids & OAPS @ £5 each = £20,000

This would see an increase in attendance, gate receipts and general spending within the ground and probably see Latics make at least an extra £30k a match? Obviously this doesn't account for ST Holders, buying tickets early or corporate hospitality but reducing match day prices might be the way to get more inside the ground?

Thats a great example but do you honestly believe we'd get 10,000 in by just knocking a fiver off the price. I think the change in attendance would be very small and would result in a lower income. Its sad to admit but its true

Quite. What offer has ever doubled attendance other than letting people in for free? There's a reason prices are the way they are - it's the best balance the owners can get. Knocking a few quid off will not get the thousands of floating fans back. Only being top of the league and playing like Brazil 1970 will do that.

Because it takes away the hope of clubs like ours ever getting promotion -

If i was a millionaire why shouldn't i be allowed to plough my money into Latics and pay some top class players to get us into a higher league.

Salary caps will stop that happening.

Bring back Chris Moore?

Quite. What offer has ever doubled attendance other than letting people in for free? There's a reason prices are the way they are - it's the best balance the owners can get. Knocking a few quid off will not get the thousands of floating fans back. Only being top of the league and playing like Brazil 1970 will do that.

Or even Oldham 1990.

There's a novel idea for the club-let's emulate ourselves when we were better.

Bring back Chris Moore?

What Moore did wasn't wrong in itself. What was wrong was his failure to see the job through, or his committing himself to what he couldn't personally sustain. As other clubs have proved, multi-millionaire chairmen can transform a club. Look at former minnows like Wigan or Reading. They might lose ground one day but they'll probably never return to what they used to be.

We were talking about this last night, and Salary Capping would work providing it is done in the same was as they do in the States. Basically, everyone has the same amount to spend. For example, if the cap in our division was £2m a year, no one can spend more on wages than that. Not Leeds, not Leicester, not us, not Cheltenham. In the Champ it will be a higher cap, and the Prem higher still. It would be the only way it would work, because if you did it with a percentage of turnover, then the big clubs would snap up all the best players and it wouldn't be a level playing field.

We were talking about this last night, and Salary Capping would work providing it is done in the same was as they do in the States. Basically, everyone has the same amount to spend. For example, if the cap in our division was £2m a year, no one can spend more on wages than that. Not Leeds, not Leicester, not us, not Cheltenham. In the Champ it will be a higher cap, and the Prem higher still. It would be the only way it would work, because if you did it with a percentage of turnover, then the big clubs would snap up all the best players and it wouldn't be a level playing field.

Exactly. Watch the authorities, under pressure from Massive Clubs, plump for the wrong option.