Serious question for season ticket holders

Tommy_Fent

Season Tickets  

189 members have voted

1. 1. will you be renewing next year?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If not What will it take to change your mind?

• Promotion
    • Beaten in Play-offs
    • Change in management
    • other
    • I said I'm renewing!

i've approached the stage where i'm so bored at latics now.

yesterday was like the extra topping of :censored:e we have had to endure and i'm quite frankly sick of it.

the "football" yesterday was a total shambles and its time for shez to admit it-he hasn't the tactical awareness to change formation,hasn't the bottle to be adventurous,hasn't the nous to realise we are preditable and plainly has no plan b.

its like watching ronnie all over again.

shez out or i'm not renewing.simple.

It's strange.

There can't be many football clubs in the land where the owners are possibly held in a higher regard by the fans than the team manager. Both are usually despised equally!

I'll be renewing, employment permitting.

I've enjoyed this season greatly. Despite some of the sub-standard home performances the side has also put on some classy entertainment. But they are currently lacking.

A quick glance at home form shows me 3 wins in 10. TTA know that home form brings in the crowds and pays the bills. TTA know that improved home form would improve our league position. TTA have form for replacing a manager who doesn't deliver the attitude, commitment and skill that the people of Oldham rightly expect.

The last time we completed 2 wins on the bounce was November. And we stuffed that in the 89th minute. If you call Rochdale a draw, we haven't won 3 in a row all season. Or last season.

Indeed, the last time Oldham Athletic won 3 on he bounce was under Shez in his first season. We lost the next 4 games.

I have always been in the camp of "give Shez until the end of the season".

I have always been in the camp of "you don't change your manager when you're close to going up".

I have always been in the camp of "you don't change your manager until you've got somebody better to replace him".

But my views have changed.

End of the season: Best outcome for Latics is that we sneak up via the play-offs. It could still happen, despite our moans and groans. But there is no way on earth Shez could hack it at a higher level. If we go up under Shez we would feel obliged to keep him. If we do, I can't see how we would stay up.

Close to going up: We're not. Apparently we're great against the sides near the top. Well, of the genuine play off contenders that we've played most recently (Scunthorpe, Leicester, Leeds, Millwall, Peterborough) we've won 1 out of 5. Many draws, one defeat. But the idea of brushing these teams aside in the play-offs is optimistic. Hell we may beat MK Dons next week. But even if we do you know we won't maintain the momentum.

Who's better: This is the tough one for me. Jim Gannon stands out. Although County's home form isn't brilliant. But he seems to have improved as a manager in each of his seasons in charge. Sheridan hasn't. He's also more or less available! He also has faith in youth. In a climate of recession, such an asset who can kick the overpaid wasters out and bring through exciting young talent, turning them in to decent and aspirational footballers is something any club owner should cherish.

This guy has a habit of kicking out anybody on a big wage and replacing them with players on a pittance who then deliver more. Lower costs and higher income through bigger crowds. An asset to any business!

I've seen a handful of County games under Gannon. They have been, on the whole, superb. Classy when winning. Some joyous passing and a work rate that I have rarely seen delivered by better players at BP. I've also seen them lose poorly twice (including the recent game at BP), so if Gannon is the Messiah then we should know he ain't perfect. But when the chips have been down his sides have delivered for him. Even without Dickinson and Pilkington they are damn close to the play-offs.

As a player he went from the 4th level to the 2nd level with Stockport County. Including the season County finished 8th in the Championship. That sort of experience is massive.

We could wait until the end of the season. But somebody else might get there first.

Good post and agree with most of what you say........the only thing is ...Why would Gannon come to Oldham?... he's just turned down the Brighton job, a club with arguably more potential than ourselves.

Good post and agree with most of what you say........the only thing is ...Why would Gannon come to Oldham?... he's just turned down the Brighton job, a club with arguably more potential than ourselves.

A fine question.

I think he would.

1) Partner is a local girl - driving round the M60 is better than moving to the south cost.

2) Owners have resources and have been prepared to commit them ... albeit in a balanced way.

But he may see himself as better than a side with smaller crowds than Stockport have.

If it should happen, I think we'd see some strange decisions and outbursts! But it could be fun!

A fine question.

I think he would.

1) Partner is a local girl - driving round the M60 is better than moving to the south cost.

2) Owners have resources and have been prepared to commit them ... albeit in a balanced way.

But he may see himself as better than a side with smaller crowds than Stockport have.

If it should happen, I think we'd see some strange decisions and outbursts! But it could be fun!

One things for sure....Shez WILL be going at the end of the season, I've no doubt, so why not get shut now, and get somebody in while there's still a chance of promotion!!

It's amazing how 90 mins of football can change the complexion of not only this season, but seasons to come. If the same poll was put up 24 hours ago it wouldn't be half as damning...

I'm not knocking the poll by the way, just highlighting that timing of polls straight after games like that will be driven by emotion for the first 2 or 3 hours after it.

Its Happening too much this last few years,seems like we are caught in a viscous Circle i.e. The players seem to have too many off days when there is no atmosphere yet if we dont go up and play well supported sides every week then we are always going to play half the season against sided with crap followings.

Also had enough of stupidly scheduled night matches from November to February,even a mild british winter evening aint nice in this neck of the woods.They should at least make night matches Derby games but the League come up with this pathetic excuse that its the Computers fault!

A fine question.

I think he would.

To add to this

Even if the wage bill was cut and cut considerably, I still think he would have more to work with budget wise than what he had at stockport.

He has the odd outburst and is very opinionated, but I think he would give quite a few people a much needed kick up the arse, and I really think what we should go for when Sheridans time is up is someone who has had no previous ties to the club and can look at things a bit more objectively

Edited by Lookers_Carl

This season, yes, but the latent Latics support base is far bigger than Stockport's even now.

Stockport have never before matched us for average attendances when we've played at the same level or, as has been more often the case in recent decades, when they've been below us.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Will be gutted if we don't mekk play offs but me n Adz will be there again next season to cheer Flembo, Crosso, Eardo, Cal, Greegs, Rubes, Ratters, Deano, Lee (Lord Lucan), Kev (mebbe), Kirky and Lewis with a couple more extras and hopefully with captain Shezza at the helm. Where else can I go, shout me head off for 90 minutes without the risk of being arrested or sectioned! Can't bleev only 4 home games left - what the heck arer me n Adz gonna do on Satdi afternoonz? Thank god for Masters, kids footy,OWTB fans team and Championship Manager!!!

This season, yes, but the latent Latics support base is far bigger than Stockport's even now.

Stockport have never before matched us for average attendances when we've played at the same level or, as has been more often the case in recent decades, when they've been below us.

Except last season, when they also had bigger crowds a league below.

But your wider point is absolutely spot on.

Better board backing, bigger potential from that latent support and a fresh start could be good for all.

Yes renewing

Come next August we will either be in the championship or at this level with a new manager (lets face it the only thing that can save shez now is promotion) and a new start and a new set of players eternal optomist but if I lose all hope that things can't get better and we all know they can then thats when I stop going.

Oh and Jim Gannon would be my shout too for a replacement for Shez but like any manager he is going to need time and in all honesty at the start of next season we would more than likely be at the start of a new 2 year plan.

It's unlikely I'll renew next season, at the moment i'm dragging myself up to BP and would rather pick and choose my games next season, may change if the manager goes and a right appointment is made.

Of course I'm renewing. Yes, I agree some of the performances of late have been terrible. But what we have is a club which is trying its utmost to reach the playoffs, a club which tries its best to satisfy the fans in every way possible, a club which gives fans access to lots of info which is kept in house at other clubs. This is football. :censored: happens. Form dips and then hopefully it rises again. No I'm not a happy clapper....I'm a supporter. I hated it yesterday, we were crap, but as an Oldham fan, I'm already looking forward to the trip next week. Thats what you do.

Sure I understand people being pissed off. I can understand people having strong opinions about the manager, coaches, players etc. Do you not think Corney, Sheridan Gregan etc arent pissed off too? Unbelievably, we're still clinging on to a play off position.

Can't believe the results of the poll so far.

I suppose what it demonstrates is that a large proportion of the users of this board are fickle.

Edited by roytoner

Abolutely spot on roytoner. For me theres been a bad feeling with shez being at the helm since the end of last season when it seemed some wanted to see him go then. Our great start to the season musnt have been to their liking, and what do you know, our first defeat of the season in october to stockport, and im walking out of the ground and theres people already complaining about shez!! FFS!!

Now i know its not exactly great football at the minute, and i fully agree, the performances recently turned in have been a shambles, and i dont begrudge those that wished to boo recently as i think those performances deserved it, but there is a reason why its called 'form'!! it can change! I can understand peoples frustrations, especially considering we pay to watch it but come on?? out of all these years following latics you would seriously consider not renewing now, when were in 5th place (with recent form barely i accept) than those years we've faced a relegation battle? so there was no bad performances at home games them years either?

We all know shez, he has his faults, but doesnt any manager at this level? i suppose thats why they are at this level, as they have these faults. Some people assume jim gannon is the answer? how do we know for sure he doesnt have the same or similar sized faults to shez? just because he appears good in an area in which shez supposedly isnt doesnt mean he'll be a fantastic manager here and have the golden touch! At the end of the day id rather have shez here, hes a latic, he has his faults, but he does get the team to play some great football and thats a plus for me!

Im not a happy clapper, i dont blindly cheer at every performance, good or bad, and i do recognise when we've played badly and it dissapoints and frustrates me when we do, but i do back the team, through thick and thin (if thats what you could call now) hell from some of the way posts are written on here, its almost as if they dont want the team to go up/do well so they can have a good moan and whinge!

Now come on, im not calling for cheering off everyone, buts lets all back the lads from now till the end of the season no matter what and hopefully we'll cheer them onto promotion at wembely in may (i could be considered an optimist :grin: )

OH WHEN THE BLUESSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Edited by Oafc88

I wont be renewing if we are in League 1 still, I am bored of the crap football to be fair. Once upon a time, I would have still renewed regardless of the football on show, because I used to just enjoy the whole football match experience, but I dont enjoy coming to BP anymore, its not fun, there is a negative atmosphere about the place, no one seems to want to get behind the team, and the moaners reign supreme.

Id rather go to more away games which I do still enjoy and then take my pick of the home games next season.

It seems to me that a few people are claiming they won't renew/will stop coming to games purely as a protest at our poor form and/or the manager, when in truth they may well be considering their priorities either for financial reasons or just because life moves on.

Please believe me when I say I have more respect for the latter than the former, so just be honest!

Definitely getting a ST again.

If all football fans based their attendance or not at games upon such things such as 'entertainment', 'consistent results', 'quality footballers', 'management decisions they agreed with' - professional football would have died out before it really got started.