Happy Clappers.......................

Thats my point though everybody is different that’s what makes the world go round and is kind of my point, passionate people do passionate things, he would most probably argue his reasons why and knowing him say that theres still time to have Royle and Jimmy F on there too lol

Me myself even if I wanted one I couldn’t stand the pain.

Anyway as for the Team letting the town down, if you take all the people that were at the game on Saturday away that don’t live in Oldham there would be less than 2000 there, so there could also be an argument that the towns folk of Oldham are letting the club down by not going?

Ooh Debates are fun arent they? I know wheres mark, lets have a poll!!! lol

soft arse....its only a bloody needle.lol

you could very well argue that the greater public of oldham are in fact letting the club down by not attending.....

just as much as you could say that the greater public of oldham feel equally let down by oldham athletic football club for having too many false dawns over the years.

it really is a two way thing...

take all the premier league football clubs out of the equasition,and im certain there would be more people at bp.

but you have to look at the wider picture regarding the general public of oldham,and you will see,dont have the exact figures,but there has been a population shift over the years,and predominately now there are more numbers of asian people and families living in the borough,who dont really rate football as highly as other sports...

all this and mass underachievement since the premier league days are what has put us where we are today

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take me about taking the rough with the smooth, I suffered Every home game from August 1997 - September 2006, experiencing some of the most desperate football one will ever see. but under Ritchie we accepted we were :censored:e and we had little manoeverability in the transfer market, Sheridan has had better backing in direct comparison to bums on seats than anyone since relegation from the Prem.

As for your 4 game examples highlighted. Let's look a little closer at the facts of those games - Millwall (H) Sheridan panicked and it paid off with the help of a dodgy red card and pen.

Millwall (A) Good first half, pisspoor second half, very very lucky winner

Petrborough (A) Again got away with a penalty miss

Leicester (A) Freak show that we seriously got away with, Again another penalty miss saved us, but a team with REAL bollocks would have taken their late chances.

OK so that's your highlight of the season dealt with, personally I would have chosen beating Leeds, or hammering stockport or perhaps the easy wins v Hereford and Colchester as my highlights - the few games where we generally played well.

So the pisspoor performances....

too many to mention, particularly since the end of November.

Your right - I could have picked other "highlights" as well as the games I previously listed. Interesting you choose to take the negative view of four matches that, I think, we showed great charachter in - the Leicester synopsis really made me chuckle!

So, with the backing Sheridan has had, where do you think we should be, in terms of the backing that the other teams going for promotion have had? Winning every home and away game and be above Leicester??

The "rough with smooth" comment was an observation on this season. If you're going retrospect and talking about your "sufference" between 1997 and 2006, why not go back even further? I'll let the club off the football they played in 1997 - 2006, for the football they played from 1989 - 1994!!

No, you're right. The big changes needed may be made and we could creep into 5th. Current form suggests otherwise unfortunately.

I disagree - current form (which includes taking 4 points from two fo our promotion rivals) suggests we will finish in the play-offs, where we have been for the majority of the season.

Big changes could mean we finish 2nd!! Big changes could also mean we finish 12th!! Think it's a case of better the devil you know...........

I disagree - current form (which includes taking 4 points from two fo our promotion rivals) suggests we will finish in the play-offs, where we have been for the majority of the season.

Big changes could mean we finish 2nd!! Big changes could also mean we finish 12th!! Think it's a case of better the devil you know...........

Current form will see us with 10 points from the next 10 games, we've just gone through a 5 pts from 5 games patch - we'll end up with 68 pts, unfortunately somewhere outside of the playoff zone...

:(

Current form will see us with 10 points from the next 10 games, we've just gone through a 5 pts from 5 games patch - we'll end up with 68 pts, unfortunately somewhere outside of the playoff zone...

Quite right.

Especially when you consider the 10 match form of play-off rivals:

Scunthorpe 16 pts

Millwall 14 pts

Leeds 17 pts (Including victories over Millwall, Peterborough and Scunthorpe plus a draw at Latics.

Tranmere 13 points

Peterborough 19 points.

Bear in mind all these teams have more games to play than us, then our 13 points in 10 games doesn't suggest a play-off place at all.

Generally over the season, though, it was only Saturday's combination of results that has made a play-off spot look a bit uncertain - we've always been there or thereabouts.

Anyway, we'll have to see. I for one hope Shez sorts any issues out during the week and the team puts in a Millwall-esque performance in at MK. Sacking Shez or b!tching and moaning about him isn't going to achieve anything now. Why not get behind the team and staff? You never know - it might just give the team the lift to carry us over the line.

Edited by JoeP

So what your saying is that Gas (with new stadium development on the way ) / Colchester (in Championship last year and brand new stadium ) are poorer relations to us!!!

Wow, Gas are getting a new stadium? How tall are their floodlights? I bet they're MASSIVE. Next you'll be reminding me about Hereford doing Newcastle in '72.

E4e

JSOUT

Wow, Gas are getting a new stadium? How tall are their floodlights? I bet they're MASSIVE. Next you'll be reminding me about Hereford doing Newcastle in '72.

E4e

JSOUT

And Colchester, probably, in terms of their fanbase and investment, one of the ten smallest clubs in the country, are now apparently on their way to being out of our league.

OAFC: the incredible shrinking club...

And Colchester, probably, in terms of their fanbase and investment, one of the ten smallest clubs in the country, are now apparently on their way to being out of our league.

OAFC: the incredible shrinking club...

....with the ever expanding noteriety.

Derek.

E4e

JSOUT

To be fair, and although it's giving ammunition to the "opposition", Gas's new stadium is on hold for pretty much the same reasons ours is. Student accomodation company no longer interested (might even have gone bust?).

They do get good gates though, compared to a lot of league 1 clubs.

To be fair, and although it's giving ammunition to the "opposition", Gas's new stadium is on hold for pretty much the same reasons ours is. Student accomodation company no longer interested (might even have gone bust?).

They do get good gates though, compared to a lot of league 1 clubs.

Bristol is a big city-with, I think, a similar population to Newcastle-with no nearby Premier League pole of attraction. When you consider this, both Rovers and City get rather poor gates.

Bristol is a big city-with, I think, a similar population to Newcastle-with no nearby Premier League pole of attraction. When you consider this, both Rovers and City get rather poor gates.

Bristol has about half a million people, 2 footy clubs and a rugby tradition and plenty of rugby clubs in and around the area at all sorts of levels.

Newcastle has about 800k people, 1 club, a decent footy history and no real rugby tradition.

You're really onto a loser if you're going to try comparing football support in Bristol with Newcastle. They are as alike as Coal and Cheese.

And I did say "in comparison to other L1 clubs"

Bristol has about half a million people, 2 footy clubs and a rugby tradition and plenty of rugby clubs in and around the area at all sorts of levels.

Newcastle has about 800k people, 1 club, a decent footy history and no real rugby tradition.

You're really onto a loser if you're going to try comparing football support in Bristol with Newcastle. They are as alike as Coal and Cheese.

And I did say "in comparison to other L1 clubs"

Regardless of what else you say, there is no way that Bristol has a half million population, and Newcastle certainly doesn't have 800,000. (The cities themselves, not the regions at which they are the centre.)

Regardless of what else you say, there is no way that Bristol has a half million population, and Newcastle certainly doesn't have 800,000. (The cities themselves, not the regions at which they are the centre.)

It's all rather messy - Manchester City Council population doesn't really bear any resemblance to waht is really "Manchester" as a functional city - it's merely a strip of territory - excludes Old Trafford, Stretford, Sale and many other South manchester places that only exist as a suburb of manchester - unlike the northern towns which arose independently with the rise of Cotton, however, I'd suspect that most of the Newcastle conurbation is centered and focussed on Newcastle, and as for Bristol, again I've gone for the urban area, whilst the city is 410k, but Bristol is far more a "centred" urban area than anywhere in the nort-west / West yorks, where towns drift into each other. These are the true criteria for football support, where there is a lack of competition from other clubs, surely?

If you want to talk regions, the North-East has a population of 2.5 million.

Edited by real