Happy Clappers.......................

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spot on. People need to get real. I've been going for 35 years and seen a lot better, and a lot worse than this. I think it's a reflection of life, everyone wants instant success these days. And the idiots on here need to grow up.

It isn't spot on but as wide of the mark as you can get. The hand-wringing 'what can we do?' attitude nearly saw the club go to the wall under Stott and Brierley* and will definitely sink us (along with some other clubs at this level) at some point in the future, because lower division professional football is already on life support and the coming economic depression will see it off. The writing is already on the wall when you look at the number of diehards throwing in the towel.

*Please nobody bother reminding us that this also happened under a certain psycho who gained control of the club a short time later. There is nothing wrong with going for broke, as Wigan have proved, but you have to make sure you have the funds, and the will, to see it through to the end.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

It isn't spot on but as wide of the mark as you can get. The hand-wringing 'what can we do?' attitude nearly saw the club go to the wall under Stott and Brierley* and will definitely sink us (along with some other clubs at this level) at some point in the future, because lower division professional football is already on life support and the coming economic depression will see it off. The writing is already on the wall when you look at the number of diehards throwing in the towel.

*Please nobody bother reminding us that this also happened under a certain psycho who gained control of the club a short time later. There is nothing wrong with going for broke, as Wigan have proved, but you have to make sure you have the funds, and the will, to see it through to the end.

Had the club gone on another couple of seasons under the guidance of Brierley, before M***e bought the club out, think we would have almost certainly have been either

1) relegated

2) gone into administration

3) both of the above

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Precisely. It's just a pity that he bottled it instead of using his vaunted business acumen and contacts to attract financial help when his company's share price dipped.

He could have been a hero to the club and town instead of the opposite.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Hmmm... thing is most of the happy clappers on here appear to live a considerable number of miles outside of Oldham, i.e. they don't have the pleasure to watch us week in week out, but have to opportunity to rack up thousands of posts.

Hi, I'm Joe, season ticket holder in the RRE.

I'm a happy clapper :huh:

I am a realist and know the club's restrictions/lack of fans/financial plight but i still go n enjoy mesen - guess I must fall into the H.C. category - yippeee!!!

if ever anyone could be described as a happy clapper its you leevzy lol

And home defeats against Bristol Rovers and Colchester is...?

E4e

JSOUT

So what your saying is that Gas (with new stadium development on the way ) / Colchester (in Championship last year and brand new stadium ) are poorer relations to us!!!

Leicester? Millwall (twice!)? Peterborough? (Any coincidence that the majority of "inspiring" games are away from home?!)

For every Colchester there's been games that demonstrates we do have the loyalty and match fitness to match the best in this division. Like I said, you've got to take the rough with the smooth.

Don't take me about taking the rough with the smooth, I suffered Every home game from August 1997 - September 2006, experiencing some of the most desperate football one will ever see. but under Ritchie we accepted we were :censored:e and we had little manoeverability in the transfer market, Sheridan has had better backing in direct comparison to bums on seats than anyone since relegation from the Prem.

As for your 4 game examples highlighted. Let's look a little closer at the facts of those games - Millwall (H) Sheridan panicked and it paid off with the help of a dodgy red card and pen.

Millwall (A) Good first half, pisspoor second half, very very lucky winner

Petrborough (A) Again got away with a penalty miss

Leicester (A) Freak show that we seriously got away with, Again another penalty miss saved us, but a team with REAL bollocks would have taken their late chances.

OK so that's your highlight of the season dealt with, personally I would have chosen beating Leeds, or hammering stockport or perhaps the easy wins v Hereford and Colchester as my highlights - the few games where we generally played well.

So the pisspoor performances....

too many to mention, particularly since the end of November.

So what your saying is that Gas (with new stadium development on the way ) / Colchester (in Championship last year and brand new stadium ) are poorer relations to us!!!

Judging by the league table yes they are should we not be looking to beat these sides if we want promotion?

I am in agrrement with staly latic(original poster) but mebbe would of worded it different,,,May I add what does get my back up is...people stating its ONLY FOOTBALL,,,there are worse things in life? sorry not in my world there isnt,,I live and breath Latics, all my issues in life, good and bad, involve my team. I want whats best for my club, wether that includes Shez, i'm not so sure

We all have something in common on this board so lets not loose sight of that,

we all want Oldham Athletic to do well and live up to our expectations, Some of us expect more than others.

We all do and act in our own ways and offer support using different methods.

One thing is blatantly obvious though, nobody is going to achieve anything by discussing or in some cases criticising the way in which any of us follow or ‘support’ the lads/club.

This is the place to discuss it but as soon as I see the words ‘happy clappers’ I know the content thereafter will 9/10 be a rant.

Anyway I wouldn’t class myself as a ‘Happy clapper’ just passionate, its something that’s bred into you, the chances are you will support the lads in the same way your farther did or whoever took you to your first game.

Having said that my dad has Ernie Cooksey’s portrait tattooed on his back and the words “Our Ernie”

I am too much of a girl to go that far :shock:

we all want Oldham Athletic to do well and live up to our expectations, Some of us expect more than others.

One thing is blatantly obvious though, nobody is going to achieve anything by discussing or in some cases criticising the way in which any of us follow or ‘support’ the lads/club.

This is the place to discuss it but as soon as I see the words ‘happy clappers’ I know the content thereafter will 9/10 be a rant.

Anyway I wouldn’t class myself as a ‘Happy clapper’ just passionate, its something that’s bred into you, the chances are you will support the lads in the same way your farther did or whoever took you to your first game.

Having said that my dad has Ernie Cooksey’s portrait tattooed on his back and the words “Our Ernie”

Thats a very good point Kyle when people are at each others throats on here they seem to lose sight of the fact that we are all on the same side.

I am in agrrement with staly latic(original poster) but mebbe would of worded it different,,,May I add what does get my back up is...people stating its ONLY FOOTBALL,,,there are worse things in life? sorry not in my world there isnt,,I live and breath Latics, all my issues in life, good and bad, involve my team. I want whats best for my club, wether that includes Shez, i'm not so sure

...opposite opinions about how much football directs our life we may have, but all for the same cause at 3pm.

Well please dont take this the wrong way im sure your dad is a nice man but having a tattoo on his back of ernie cooksey is going a bit to far dont you think? Joe Royle or Jimmy Frizzell maybe but really ernie cooksey? Fair enough he died young but was by no means a legend at this club!! RIP Ernie. :mad: we are all latics fans, but the way it is for me i live and breath latics, latics is on my mind 24 hours a day call me sad or whatever but in my eyes there is NOTHING more important in this world, which is why the useless t*ats who were my teams colours should be on the town hall steps explaining why they have let the whole town down again

Well please dont take this the wrong way im sure your dad is a nice man but having a tattoo on his back of ernie cooksey is going a bit to far dont you think? Joe Royle or Jimmy Frizzell maybe but really ernie cooksey? Fair enough he died young but was by no means a legend at this club!! RIP Ernie. :mad: we are all latics fans, but the way it is for me i live and breath latics, latics is on my mind 24 hours a day call me sad or whatever but in my eyes there is NOTHING more important in this world, which is why the useless t*ats who were my teams colours should be on the town hall steps explaining why they have let the whole town down again

Thats my point though everybody is different that’s what makes the world go round and is kind of my point, passionate people do passionate things, he would most probably argue his reasons why and knowing him say that theres still time to have Royle and Jimmy F on there too lol

Me myself even if I wanted one I couldn’t stand the pain.

Anyway as for the Team letting the town down, if you take all the people that were at the game on Saturday away that don’t live in Oldham there would be less than 2000 there, so there could also be an argument that the towns folk of Oldham are letting the club down by not going?

Ooh Debates are fun arent they? I know wheres mark, lets have a poll!!! lol