The Tipping Point

A good friend of mine who watched far more games than I did had a moment of epiphany at a game towards of the end of the second relegation. After am awful home performance and defeat we were waiting for a cab back to Piccadilly outside the Clayton Arms. A group of players came past laughing and joking, apparently without a care in the world.

At that moment he said he realised that the club meant nothing to the players and that all the emotion he had invested over the years had been wasted.

He's never beeen to a game since; I wonder how many others reached a similar conclusion this week.

A good friend of mine who watched far more games than I did had a moment of epiphany at a game towards of the end of the second relegation. After am awful home performance and defeat we were waiting for a cab back to Piccadilly outside the Clayton Arms. A group of players came past laughing and joking, apparently without a care in the world.

At that moment he said he realised that the club meant nothing to the players and that all the emotion he had invested over the years had been wasted.

He's never beeen to a game since; I wonder how many others reached a similar conclusion this week.

I reached a very similar conclusion last year Dave - I've not been to Latics this season at all and when I've had the chance of a free ticket, I turned it down!

Still read (rarely post) all the threads on here, keep a check on the news for Latics... but just don't have that "bug" for it anymore... partly down to my trust-related involvement with the club, and partly down to a general two-fingers up to football... the majority of players (and the people involved in football) are just over-paid egotistical gob:censored:es... and I've just had enough of it even though I've known that all along... as we all do I'm sure. ha ha

Oh get Darren McInAHuff here... i'll take my cynacism and pessimism elsewhere! lol

remember the players get paid if they win or lose a match so why should they care , long gone has the player who cared about the team he is playing for , and when you see a player who kisses his badge when scoring , it only mean he gets a bonus for scoring a goal ,in short he is kissing his bank balance

my wife has given up on football and watching man.utd. to watch golf on setanta sports. thats how bad the situation has become. :shock:

Players don't care, they haven't for about the last 10 years. You get the odd one or two like Taylor playing for the club they support, others like Hazell or Crossley who really settle in and do actually give two figs for the team they are playing for but the majority just take a wage out of the game.

A football club is more than the team, it is the fans, the board, the managers, the ground the history, the ethos and the spirit.

A football club is more than the team, it is the fans, the board, the managers, the ground the history, the ethos and the spirit.

From a fans point of view it is, and for the other 'stakeholders' in the football club (that you've mentioned above) it's a case of picking and choosing when that applies!

I reached a very similar conclusion last year Dave - I've not been to Latics this season at all and when I've had the chance of a free ticket, I turned it down!

Still read (rarely post) all the threads on here, keep a check on the news for Latics... but just don't have that "bug" for it anymore... partly down to my trust-related involvement with the club, and partly down to a general two-fingers up to football... the majority of players (and the people involved in football) are just over-paid egotistical gob:censored:es... and I've just had enough of it even though I've known that all along... as we all do I'm sure. ha ha

Oh get Darren McInAHuff here... i'll take my cynacism and pessimism elsewhere! lol

Interesting you should say that. There's lots of reasons why my visits are infrequent these days but one of them is a hangover freom the SAFE days which was a depressing experience on lots of levels.

Not sure why anyone should be surprised that players do not, by and large, share our own commitment to the club. It is the way of modern football. The use of agents and the freedom of contract rules mean they are inevitably going to be looking to change clubs on a regular basis if there is something in it for them. The modern use of a flood of loanees does not help to breed any loyalty or togetherness.

Not sure why anyone should be surprised that players do not, by and large, share our own commitment to the club. It is the way of modern football. The use of agents and the freedom of contract rules mean they are inevitably going to be looking to change clubs on a regular basis if there is something in it for them. The modern use of a flood of loanees does not help to breed any loyalty or togetherness.

I domn't think anyone is surprised; it's just that some things make you stop and think for a momeet

I know what you mean, I got the impression that the players who got us too the play offs a couple of years didnt care either, I was in the gym 3 years ago, talking to Chris Hall, who told me that the players then didnt want to get through the play offs because some would get released and that we wouldnt have survived in the Championship.

I belive that it's the same situation this season, I cant understand whats going wrong with this club, apart from the lack of disipline and Sheridan having his favorites, I really feel like giving up on Oldham Athletic at the moment and looking at the dwindling attendance's so do a lot of other fans. The worst thing about it for me is that my brother and my nephew have recently started attending matches with me, and for some unknown reason they are enjoying it.

So do I walk away never to return, and take my brother and nephew with me, or stay and hope things get better, I feel sorry for T3A they have put there hard earned money into this club, taken criticism over the Lee Hughes affair and now we have been all over the gutter press because of Doggygate, it really is like watching an episode of of Dream Team because some of the things that happen at this club are so unbeliveable

I also think that if we dont get into the playoffs this season, we will be fighting relegation next year because for sure we will lose most of our squad in the summer, I can also see T3A walking away.

I have never said Sheridan out but cant see him being employed by us this time next week.

I know what you mean, I got the impression that the players who got us too the play offs a couple of years didnt care either, I was in the gym 3 years ago, talking to Chris Hall, who told me that the players then didnt want to get through the play offs because some would get released and that we wouldnt have survived in the Championship.

I belive that it's the same situation this season, I cant understand whats going wrong with this club, apart from the lack of disipline and Sheridan having his favorites, I really feel like giving up on Oldham Athletic at the moment and looking at the dwindling attendance's so do a lot of other fans. The worst thing about it for me is that my brother and my nephew have recently started attending matches with me, and for some unknown reason they are enjoying it.

So do I walk away never to return, and take my brother and nephew with me, or stay and hope things get better, I feel sorry for T3A they have put there hard earned money into this club, taken criticism over the Lee Hughes affair and now we have been all over the gutter press because of Doggygate, it really is like watching an episode of of Dream Team because some of the things that happen at this club are so unbeliveable

I also think that if we dont get into the playoffs this season, we will be fighting relegation next year because for sure we will lose most of our squad in the summer, I can also see T3A walking away.

I have never said Sheridan out but cant see him being employed by us this time next week.

You have made good points, and expressed them well. However , I ask you not to walk away, even though this is a bad time. Forgive me if I say I've known them worse , but I have - only due probably to being older. I'm coming up to my 50th anniversary of my first match and despaired at the team and our future on several occasions. But Latics did get to the top flight, did get to Wembley - both beyond my wildest dreams when we were kicking about in the lower reaches of Div 4.

Keep the faith , it's hard I know. But keep it.

Interesting you should say that. There's lots of reasons why my visits are infrequent these days but one of them is a hangover freom the SAFE days which was a depressing experience on lots of levels.

Well yes Dave SAFE / Trust Oldham gave insights into football you don't normally get, and though at times very interesting, it's not necessarily a good thing - and it's without doubt that my involvement with the Trust provided the death knell for the levels of support and commitment that I had for the club.

Edited by daz_oldham

Well yes Dave SAFE / Trust Oldham gave insights into football you don't normally get, and though at times very interesting, it's not necessarily a good thing - and it's without doubt that my involvement with the Trust provided the death knell for the levels of support and commitment that I had for the club.

I've been up and down since the lifeless 2-0 home defeat to Brentford in March 2005, today was my tipping point...after 23 years supporting the club, i'm gutted but times are hard, football has always been my one constant, my escape. Now it is just something i do, in a lifeless disinterested stadium watching an indifferent team providing an inferior over-priced 'product'. I'm no longer prepared to do it week after week...

It is interesting and sad that you obviously got involved with the Trust because of your love of football and the Latics, yet the experience has apparently left you disillusioned instead of inspirited. Anything you can publicly tell us as to why that should have been? I am not being nosy, just wondering what could be so bad about something that should have been so positive.

It is interesting and sad that you obviously got involved with the Trust because of your love of football and the Latics, yet the experience has apparently left you disillusioned instead of inspirited. Anything you can publicly tell us as to why that should have been? I am not being nosy, just wondering what could be so bad about something that should have been so positive.

Hey Prozac - don't get too down - things can't be that bad - one thing I haven't been able to understand is why folk are on the managers back this season, we're doing alright (just) and we might just be that bit better off with some more vocal support other than singing get sheridan out... bet people weren't singing that at one nil up! :wink:

quark as for my disillusionment - i've said what was needed to the people i needed to say it too, and i don't want to start harping on in great detail on here about it as it's boring... and it's been a while since i've had a telling off for expressing my opinion and i don't want another ^_^

Maybe if a thread was started up on how and what trust oldham could and should be doing, i'd love to contribute some thoughts :)

right. far too late. bed time.

Hey Prozac - don't get too down - things can't be that bad - one thing I haven't been able to understand is why folk are on the managers back this season, we're doing alright (just) and we might just be that bit better off with some more vocal support other than singing get sheridan out... bet people weren't singing that at one nil up! :wink:

quark as for my disillusionment - i've said what was needed to the people i needed to say it too, and i don't want to start harping on in great detail on here about it as it's boring... and it's been a while since i've had a telling off for expressing my opinion and i don't want another ^_^

Maybe if a thread was started up on how and what trust oldham could and should be doing, i'd love to contribute some thoughts :)

right. far too late. bed time.

TTA have brought me back from the brink. 9 (12) cup finals - bring it on!

Wow...thought it was only myself who'd gone through that. I remember going thru the Wadsworth/Dowie season feeling just like that after SAFE. I was dragging myself to games. I didn't like what I was seeing within (which few cared about outside coz CM was splashing cash) and was disappointed over Ritchies sacking and the constant snyping at SAFE and what it's point was. With many having forgotten/not cared that JWLees et al were stonewalling every attempt to help and sending us to the grave and were finally persuaded to sell by SAFE (little did we know what would happen in future years to come). Was a difficult period to follow Latics for a short while. But it passed and further ups, downs, ups and more downs have come and gone since. It's part and parcel of it all.