• Aidy Boothroyd
    • Ian Holloway
    • Micky Adams
    • Paul Ince
    • Keith Hill
    • Steve Cotterill
    • John Sheridan - Till End Of Season
    • Anyone Else

I think it will ultimately come down to Jim Gannon or Keith Hill. The bloke who won the play-off final between the two gets my call.

But for it to get there, TTA will have to dip in to their pockets to pay off Shez. And Gannon is on a 12 month rolling contract. So we could be looking at somewhere between £200k and £400k (guesswork, I'm not in the know) to do this.

Gannon pluses:

Good at developing young talent

Brought in decent transfer fee income

Improved his team's league position in each of his 4 seasons

Crowds at County have grown under his leadership, while at Latics they have fallen

Has shown his team can deliver when it matters at the sharp end of a season

Gannon concerns:

Can open his gob before engaging his brain

Has never really shown he can manage the more experienced players (he just seems to get rid of them - could be financial, could be a personality flaw)

Has never really paid a fee for a player (though this could be classed as a plus, depending on the context of the club's finances next season)

I wouldn't mind others developing the second list. Tell the site what's wrong with Gannon. Let's get it out in the open before TTA appoint the wrong man. Or gain some sort of consensus that he's the best man for the job.

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please can you source this... Without a source, it reduces your post to spam.

I can back mark up on this

Last time I seen big joe in person was dec 2007 and even then he wasnt the most mobile. May be ok for a director of football kind of role, but I dont think he could stand up to full time management

Whoever replaces Sheridan, PLEASE don't let it be someone already within the club.

Friendships and bonds will already have been formed with some of the players which will make important decisions so much harder to make.

A totally impartial, unblinkered assessment of this squad is what is needed - and the strength of personality to upset one or two bigger name players. Fresh perspective is the only way to look at our problems - sentiment, personal friendships and memories will all cloud a managers vision.

I mentioned Gannon quite some time ago, and had to suffer the wrath of the Shez inners (Water off a duck's back), but I firmly believe that we would be strong contenders for automatic if we had changed at the time.

Personally I'd go for Dowie or Royle for the remaining 9 games(If they'd come) and let the club decide over the summer who to appoint, rather than rushing a possible wrong un in. Even though Gannon is a favourite amongst people here, Stockport are still within a shout of a play off spot and he might just want to see this season through to the end.

I've been a happy clapper and behind Shez all season, but I feel that with 9 games to go we will not even finish 7th at our current rate.

Sorry if im missing the point as its sunday and I am hungover but can someone explain why Gannon would ever consider coming to us, he seems a popular choice to be our next manager, but I just cant see what we offer that Stockport dont.

Said I wouldn't post on here until the end of the season last Sunday but tbh there was no way I could have seen the last week being as disastrous as it has been.

It is now clear that we won't make the playoffs with Shez in charge, the only reason I could see us keeping him on would be for financial reasons and if that's the case then we should keep him on until the end of next season when his contract expires.

If we were to get rid I would only want the next manager to have a contract until the end of the season, it would make it a no strings attached situation for either us or the new manager, if we don't get promotion then we can both go our separate ways and we could bring in a manager for the longer term in the off-season. The best thing about this method is that the job becomes more appealing to an experienced and/or higher-profile manager because if they give the players a bit of short-term motivation they could end up being a hero with us and it would look great on their CV if they won a promotion.

I don't think Gannon is the answer for this season but if he is available at the start of next season then he would be my choice, but for now someone like Boothroyd, Holloway or possibly even Dowie or Ince would be our best bet.

Personally I'd go for Dowie or Royle for the remaining 9 games(If they'd come) and let the club decide over the summer who to appoint, rather than rushing a possible wrong un in. Even though Gannon is a favourite amongst people here, Stockport are still within a shout of a play off spot and he might just want to see this season through to the end.

I've been a happy clapper and behind Shez all season, but I feel that with 9 games to go we will not even finish 7th at our current rate.

Ah, I should have just agreed with that!

Sorry if im missing the point as its sunday and I am hungover but can someone explain why Gannon would ever consider coming to us, he seems a popular choice to be our next manager, but I just cant see what we offer that Stockport dont.

bigger budget than stockport

better playing surface than stockport

less traffic on matchdays.so wont get snarled up(this is obviously a pisstake optiont)

If we were to get rid I would only want the next manager to have a contract until the end of the season, it would make it a no strings attached situation for either us or the new manager, if we don't get promotion then we can both go our separate ways and we could bring in a manager for the longer term in the off-season. The best thing about this method is that the job becomes more appealing to an experienced and/or higher-profile manager because if they give the players a bit of short-term motivation they could end up being a hero with us and it would look great on their CV if they won a promotion.

I don't think Gannon is the answer for this season but if he is available at the start of next season then he would be my choice, but for now someone like Boothroyd, Holloway or possibly even Dowie or Ince would be our best bet.

Cotterill was going to take a 7 week contract with an American team. Not saying he's the one but shows the reasonableness of bosh's suggestion. Doubt Boothroyd would be cheap or would take it, but an impact manager like Dowie or Ince might galvanise the talent in this squad. Not that Ince would look at it or we'd have Dowie back......

bigger budget than stockport

better playing surface than stockport

less traffic on matchdays.so wont get snarled up(this is obviously a pisstake optiont)

Hmm fairplay, not sure if there will be that much difference in budget next season. If he would like the job, I would rather he came in, than an old manager, which seem other popular choices. The only old manager I would maybe consider would be Dowie because I think he would command the respect of the players. I still wouldnt really want him back here though.

The Rochdale manager talks a lot of sense on GMR from what i can remember. Was quite impressed with the way they played against us, but dont know if he would make the step up. Could be worth a gamble.

Holloway in for me, bring him in now temporary with the option to extend in summer!

Been saying I wouldnt mind having holloway for a few months now! Seems a good manager and def my first choice. Just a note, was Dowie commentating for sky when we played against Leeds? I know he was definately there so if he wasnt then maybe thats something that could be a hint!

I just believe that we may be better off with the stability of a long term manager who really loves the club as opposed to continuing on the managerial merry-go-round in the vain hope of finally finding this elusive perfect manager. I don't care what anybody says about Shez we could certainly do worse.

I'm as gutted as anybody at how the season has panned out, but maybe Shez can learn from it. Give him an ultimatum and give him chance to seriously consider how he does things. You never know, he's had it spot on before after all.

I'm just trying to offer an alternative to 'SHEZ OUT' cries, which are usually backed up by little more than hearsay or cliche and almost always partly fueled by emotion.

Didn't learn from 2yrs ago...with another guys team. Not gunna do that dance again but how it went over 3yrs is complete proof that playoff side was good enough and built by someone else...it'll never be admitted by those who will always refuse to see it and who would rather lose a limb than admit it.

I feel sorry for Shez that he'd hit his limit and had to go...I wanted him to succeed but never felt he could learn from 2yrs ago and he proved it time and time again. I wish him well wherever else he goes. Masterstroke by TTA tho...we now have the bad air out of the club and a fresh bill of health/hope to fight for that playoff spot!

Bring it on!!!

Edited by boundaryblue80