The players and Shez.

I have not commented on the sacking of Shez and appointment of BFJ yet - I didn't find out until late last night (cheers for the call Nik) after avoiding all things to do with football after Saturdays disaster.

I will be honest - I still don't really know what I feel - as a person I liked Shez, but he has never really managed to bridge that 'one of the lads in the dressing room' gap and become a manager that instantly had the respect of his players. He was too close to them (perhaps too young?) I feel and when you hear him speak he often recalls his playing days and obviously misses them very much. I think he still yearned to be in the dressing room clique and ultimately he has had to make a major sacrifice for that longing by losing his position.

I feel sorry for him, I really do and I think that those responsible should hang their heads in shame.

Stand up the majority of the Oldham Athletic team.

I'm not interested in blaming message board vendettas and the such, after all I have been named as one of the guilty on many occasions in regard to whipping fans up into an anti Ronnie Moore fervour, who cares, message boards are for voicing opinions and those that hold the disparate views don't actually pull any strings - just voice dis-satisfaction.

I would like to think that today the players have sat down pre-training and have had a really long, hard and honest look at themselves and have asked themselves if they think that they did their best for Shez the majority of the time. Whilst there are a lot of kids knocking about the team and the fringes there is a good slice of experience in there too and I think that those may be the more culpable in letting their now former boss down.

I know it is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, though they should still be made to reflect upon their actions and performances of the last few months, which in some cases have not been befitting of so called professional sports men.

So, we move to Joe - certainly they won't get as easy a ride as they did from Shez. Hopefully there will be boots flying around, a few home truths told and some order and discipline instilled into the half hearted shambles we currently call our team.

As an impact signing for the new gaffer I don't think that the club could have done anything more to re-kindle the interest of the fan base as a whole, but for me he isn't a solution to the conundrum in the longer term. It is a signing that certainly hasn't sparked the euphoria in me like it has so many others on here.

Maybe Coco and myself should start our own little board up :wink:

Honestly, it is nothing to do with tainting what has been in the past (how in 9 games???), I just feel a similar indifference to this appointment as I did to when we got Ronnie on board. For me the game has changed so much since Joe was last with us, and even when he had post Latics seasons out of the PL he had vast resources at C**y and a decent ones at Ipswich - Latics is a whole different ball game.

So we wait and see what Saturday will bring - though probably it will be as good a day as anything this season. I think the relief of many will be palpable around the ground and of course, Ronnie Moore is a football genius!

Finally to Shez - good luck in the future. I hope your ten years at gods little acre aren't tainted by the last few months. Get a fresh start away from the dressing room and you will be able to address your limitations more easily. All the best mate.

Joe - good luck, though judging by this mornings start it looks like old style Joe may be back.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut???F*ck it - get me a wrecking ball!

I think lots of players should be very afraid of the next 8 weeks.

Now, let's see if the players have enough about them to get my KtF back.

Derek.

My one concern I have is nothing to do with Joe or any other manager we could have appointed. It's the players. Many of our current crop haven't a snowball's in hells chance of being retained next season, regardless of which league we're to be in. Hughes most definately won't be here should we stay down even then chances are he'll be off even if we go up. Out of the Saturday shambles Hughes was probably the only one to come out of it ok, he tried his bollocks off as per 90% of the time. His look of resignation at the end of the game where he was only one of two to applaud the fans said it all.

A good few will not be retained come what may. A good few won't be retained if we were to go up. One or two will be off on their own accord. So will they now put in what will be needed, that being a mammonth effort from here on in and be utterly professional about it. Or will they simply play out the season and collect their wages whilst looking for a new club next season?

That for me is the question and whether BFJ as a chance of truely being labelled a walking miracle worker.

Edited by Lags

For me the game has changed so much since Joe was last with us

The game hasn't changed (Man Utd still play in Joe's style) it's the players attitudes which IMO have changed for the worse.

A big culprit in recent years is the loan system, which I feel needs curbing.

Sledgehammer to crack a nut???F*ck it - get me a wrecking ball!

Good post and I agree with pretty much all of it...except the suggestion that things are different...he has only been out of football for three years...not a big deal at all...

Regarding the sledgehammer... I reckon its not a bad approach and I am 100% behind Joe going all out :D

Edited by oafc0000

The game hasn't changed (Man Utd still play in Joe's style) it's the players attitudes which IMO have changed for the worse.

A big culprit in recent years is the loan system, which I feel needs curbing.

Joe's style - is that copyrighted? I bet the Lashers circa 1955 (and a hell of a lot more) have a lot to say about it if so.

Maybe it is a little more to do with players attitudes but are you really trying to tell me that before Oldham Athletic 1984 no team had played with two battlers in the middle and two wingers and every once in a while decided to go :censored: or bust?

Get over yourself. United play nothing like in the mould of the so called 'Joe's style' - when was the last time you saw Fergie pick a cast off up?

Derek.

Edit: Actually, can you recall the last time that under Royle we played 'Joe style'. Maybe Liverpool in the 3-2 game? Certainly not in his last 2 seasons at BP. There were lots of absolute capitulations the season we were relegated. His Everton team were a resolute hard working bunch, but certainly not ones to go out and wipe the floor with anyone. By the time he had come to be the circus master I had pretty much lost any feeling toward him and Ipswich is too far away for me to be bothered looking.

There isn't a Joe's style. He just had them whipped into shape and got them to do what he told them. If they didn't like it they could go. Simple really.

Edited by DerekWilson_1968

Joe's style - is that copyrighted? I bet the Lashers circa 1955 (and a hell of a lot more) have a lot to say about it if so.

Maybe it is a little more to do with players attitudes but are you really trying to tell me that before Oldham Athletic 1984 no team had played with two battlers in the middle and two wingers and every once in a while decided to go :censored: or bust?

Get over yourself. United play nothing like in the mould of the so called 'Joe's style' - when was the last time you saw Fergie pick a cast off up?

Derek.

you was doing so well until this post,hahahah

joes style of football was what oldham needed at the time,and to be honest we didnt know any other way to play..we knew if they scored 4 we would score 5 and vice versa.

he had a very astute eye for a bargain at the time,it was only when he had a vast amount of money to bring in quality players that he was like a kid in a sweet shop,and head n heart over-ruled one another.

i remember i think it was while at city that he wanted 250k for an as such untested striker from norway or sweden,they refused and it upset him....then someone else signed him,torre andre flo was his name,think he did ok in the game....

thats what joe is all about,bringing together a team that would lay down and die for each other and the fans.....

we just have to hope that he can instill in this current squad enough self belief to go out there and perform as they and we know they can,if they dont he wont be affraid to drop them,and try someone else.....i think its a pity he only has 9 games to try and get us something,maybe he should have come in after yeovil at home,i dont know.

As an impact signing for the new gaffer I don't think that the club could have done anything more to re-kindle the interest of the fan base as a whole, but for me he isn't a solution to the conundrum in the longer term. It is a signing that certainly hasn't sparked the euphoria in me like it has so many others on here.

Derko

No one is saying it's long term. I've no doubt TTA will be busy between now and the end of the season to find the right man for August. He is the solution to the remaining 9 games though. No one available comes anywhere close.

E4e

BFJBA

What a nice constructive answer...of course you know it all.

Forgive me for not hailing this Messianic return as the solution to all our problems.

I just believe that perhaps the game, especially at this level, may have left him behind.

Like I stated in my initial post - it is up to the players now to show us that they really want it.

Derek.

Derko

No one is saying it's long term. I've no doubt TTA will be busy between now and the end of the season to find the right man for August. He is the solution to the remaining 9 games though. No one available comes anywhere close.

E4e

BFJBA

a lot is going to be dependant on which division we are in.

if we miss out and stay in this league,then maybe joe gets offered a 12 month contract,or the club turn to a younger ambitios manager in the ilk of gannon,once the seasons over and we know who is where so to speak it makes it a bit easier.

if we did get up,and joe didnt want it fulltime again,we can attract a different calibre of manager in the championship...

if joe coming in and does the trick,brings in quality players and we play like we know we can,would it really be that bad.

i think a lot of us have got accustomed to watching dross for so long that its seriously making people nervous in case they enjoy what they see and they havent got a reason to whinge anymore.

It is a signing that certainly hasn't sparked the euphoria in me like it has so many others on here.

Derek.

Oh c'mon DW, go with the flow man.

Whatever we all think/thought about Shez he's gone now, nowt we can do, same as it ever was when a manager goes.

Bet the euphoria will have caught up with you by Saturday.

You're right about the players being afraid tho', they should be very afraid.

John Sheridan is employable elsewhere - League One standard manager.

Now that he has cut loose the ties to the dressing room he had as a player, he may well flourish.

In fact I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Good luck to the bloke. This could be a win/win.

Edited by opinions4u

When was the last time Joe had a budget like Fergies...

Dosent take you long Derek to go off on one dose it :D

Why does everyone think I am going off on one?

I stated that I think that the players should take their fair share of responsibility and that Royle may not be even the (short term) solution to the problem.

I didn't compare Joe to Fergie/ United, nor would I ever.

It is hardly ranting is it?

Derek.

Why does everyone think I am going off on one?

I stated that I think that the players should take their fair share of responsibility and that Royle may not be even the (short term) solution to the problem.

I didn't compare Joe to Fergie/ United, nor would I ever.

It is hardly ranting is it?

Derek.

I meant more of off on a tangent rather than a strop... I have agreed with a lot of what you have said...

John Sheridan is employable elsewhere - League One standard manager.

Now that he has cut loose the ties to the dressing room he had as a player, he may well flourish.

In fact I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Good luck to the bloke. This could be a win/win.

i think that may well be the case...