Strange encounter in the air

On a flight back from Dublin to East Midlands on Sunday I spotted a rainbow-coloured doughnut-shaped image through the plane window. I took these three pictures:

3356344057_a0fd404166.jpg

3357164666_7b6167c96a.jpg

3357166692_196e17da05.jpg

After editing (cropping and auto fixing) the images look like this:

3367749232_2c8c804363.jpg

3366930437_3db57072dc.jpg

3367751698_c965aae170.jpg

I am at a loss to explain why the image appeared in the first place and why it went from an empty shape to one containing a silhouette of the plane. It brings a whole new meaniing to the SRFC song 'Hoops are in the air'.

I have flown many thousands of miles but never seen anything like this before.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

Can anyone explain it?

it could be a reflection from your camera , or the plane was letting off fuel !

The image was there before I got the camera out. On a short flight with Ryanair, and a 25 minute turnround at each destination, there is no possibility of any fuel proving to be surplus to requirements.

It's the light reflecting off a point on the plane in shallow clouds (water droplets) creating a spectrum. Like a lens flare.

Cheers! Whoever said you learn something new on here every day was correct.

A Google reveals that what I saw was called a glory.

The glory, like the corona, is also caused by diffraction. It is sometimes known by another term that helps explain its existence: The "Anti-corona". Usually flying in an aircraft is one of the main ways to see a glory, although other ways of observing one is by standing on a mountain ledge; someplace where you can see the sun direct light through you to water droplets on the other side. When spherical cloud droplets are sufficiently uniform and small (around 50 µm in diameter). The sunlight would diffract around you and then the interference pattern would be revealed in the clouds below or the fog beyond. The plane's shadow or a person's shadow would be in the centre of this image, with the rings of light and/or colour surrounding it. The angular distance of the glory depends on the size of the uniform water droplets, not the size of the shadow, so sometimes a plane can cast a tiny shadow on a cloud, but the glory will still show the same angular size.

This is the picture with the description:

Glory_1.jpg

That reminds me there is a traditional song which goes:

"Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory (of The Coming Of The Lord)"

The plane took off from Dublin at 14:38 and when Mrs S switched on her phone outside East Midlands Airport, there was a text timed at 14:38 saying that Shez had left the Club. Later she received one telling her of the second coming.

Spooky or what?

P.S. I've just caught up with the thread from Sunday when the news of Shez's departure broke at 14:17 - that was the time I was taking the photos and the glory disappeared. Hope there are more glory days to come.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Cheers! Whoever said you learn something new on here every day was correct.

A Google reveals that what I saw was called a glory.

The glory, like the corona, is also caused by diffraction. It is sometimes known by another term that helps explain its existence: The "Anti-corona". Usually flying in an aircraft is one of the main ways to see a glory, although other ways of observing one is by standing on a mountain ledge; someplace where you can see the sun direct light through you to water droplets on the other side. When spherical cloud droplets are sufficiently uniform and small (around 50 µm in diameter). The sunlight would diffract around you and then the interference pattern would be revealed in the clouds below or the fog beyond. The plane's shadow or a person's shadow would be in the centre of this image, with the rings of light and/or colour surrounding it. The angular distance of the glory depends on the size of the uniform water droplets, not the size of the shadow, so sometimes a plane can cast a tiny shadow on a cloud, but the glory will still show the same angular size.

yep .... i was just about to say the same thing!!!!! :unsure: