liddles position

spouting bollocks like that, you should be nowhere near a keyboard, nevermind typing.

Lids can do a job when we are in front and looking to close the game out but going forward unless he has miles of space he is a liability. Defenders know there is no threat in behind so they can get tight on him pressure him and either get him to miss place a pass or tackle him. The fat lady has been warming up since christmas its time for others players to come in now

spouting bollocks like that, you should be nowhere near a keyboard, nevermind typing.

Right lets stop messing about with regard to Liddel, there is no way he should be anywhere near the first 11. Too slow, slow and too slow for a start. If BFJ picked him later today, I would be very dissapointed.

I am seriously bemused why Liddel has such a high regard by a lot of posters here on OWTB. He has served the club well, but his time is up now and he genuienly offers no goalscoring threat anymore. No pace, therefore caught in no mans land and offering not a great deal defensively or going forward. Please leave the guy out, say thank you and say thats it. Far better options with the younger lads.

Right lets stop messing about with regard to Liddel, there is no way he should be anywhere near the first 11. Too slow, slow and too slow for a start. If BFJ picked him later today, I would be very dissapointed.

Sometimes the game isn't just about pace.

I am seriously bemused why Liddel has such a high regard by a lot of posters here on OWTB.

Probably because he still has an ability to deliver a ball in to the danger zone, has managed to find the net from open play on a few occasions this season and links up well with an overlapping full back on the right.

He has served the club well, but his time is up now and he genuienly offers no goalscoring threat anymore.

From open play, his scoring record this season is ok. I also wish he'd been on the pitch when Hughes was brought down in the box against Bristol Rovers.

No pace, therefore caught in no mans land and offering not a great deal defensively or going forward. Please leave the guy out, say thank you and say thats it. Far better options with the younger lads.

If it boils down to a straight choice between Liddell and Smalley, I'd choose Smalley. But while Smalley will often scare defenders with his pace and skill on the ball, his final cross - well there often isn't even a cross at the end of it, is there? While Liddell won't be going on the mazey run with stepovers etc, he will more often than not deliver a cross in to the danger zone or retain possession.

I don't think Lidds will start today (although the lack of strikers in the squad and Taylor's fitness doubts mean I wouldn't rule it out), but I don't think the Andy Liddell's performances in the games that he has started have let anybody down.

I wonder if BJ sees a similarity with Tricky Ricky Holden.....He couldn't run, but boy could he put a ball in the box :grin:

I hope you are joking FB... Ricky could beat a man 6 times in an area the size of a postage stamp... thats how he created space... I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Andy Liddell beat a man, I suspect it was for the Latics, but the pie-munching fake inbred ones.

To even compare them is an insult to Ricky.

I would be mortified if Lidds starts today. But if he does, i'm sure Joe will ralise soon enough that it was an abysmal mistake.

I hope you are joking FB... Ricky could beat a man 6 times in an area the size of a postage stamp... thats how he created space... I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Andy Liddell beat a man, I suspect it was for the Latics, but the pie-munching fake inbred ones.

To even compare them is an insult to Ricky.

I would be mortified if Lidds starts today. But if he does, i'm sure Joe will ralise soon enough that it was an abysmal mistake.

:wink: I thought you may have replied to that one BF.... :grin:

For what it's worth, as you may know, I have backed Lidds last season and at the start of this one - however I would be very surprised if BJ started with him today - I think his side will want to play with energy and tempo and for as much as I think Lidds has brought previous to the side, he has fell off the fence with these 2 descriptions...

As for the comparison with tricky...they could both cross a ball!! :wink:

:wink: I thought you may have replied to that one BF.... :grin:

For what it's worth, as you may know, I have backed Lidds last season and at the start of this one - however I would be very surprised if BJ started with him today - I think his side will want to play with energy and tempo and for as much as I think Lidds has brought previous to the side, he has fell off the fence with these 2 descriptions...

As for the comparison with tricky...they could both cross a ball!! :wink:

Fair enough!

However on the crossing the ball comment... Ricky's feet could beat a man twice and whip a ball onto Stitch's head in a split second.... Andy liddell needs the ball played perfectly to his feet (obviously firstly miraculously having kept up with play and being anywhere near the opposition box), then he needs to think about it, then he needs all the defenders to retreat to a safe distance to avoid the hinderance of a tackle, then he needs to be told from the bench to do something, then he needs explicit written permission from the opposition defence to precced with the crossing motion. Total time. 2 days, 3 hours.

Different gravy.

Fair enough!

However on the crossing the ball comment... Ricky's feet could beat a man twice and whip a ball onto Stitch's head in a split second.... Andy liddell needs the ball played perfectly to his feet (obviously firstly miraculously having kept up with play and being anywhere near the opposition box), then he needs to think about it, then he needs all the defenders to retreat to a safe distance to avoid the hinderance of a tackle, then he needs to be told from the bench to do something, then he needs explicit written permission from the opposition defence to precced with the crossing motion. Total time. 2 days, 3 hours.

:laught30::laught30:

Different gravy.

Have you got Lidds on the back of your shirt (underneath Halle of course... :grin: )

Have you got Lidds on the back of your shirt (underneath Halle of course... :grin: )

:lol:

Yeah, its actually one of those love/hate things. I actually live my whole life as a homage to the great Andy Liddell*

*'s eventual retirement.

As a fellow member of BOAST, this where I upset BigFin - sorry mate. I'm not Liddell's greatest fan, but I wouldn't be surprised if he started today. Think back to Cloughy's days when he brought Alan Hinton to Derby. An interviewer criticised him, saying that Hinton couldn't tackle, couldn't defend, had no pace and wouldn't score many goals. Cloughy's reply? "Young man, I didn't buy him for that. I bought him to get the ball and put crosses on the centre forward's head." And that's what he did. Maybe Joe wants Lidds to do just that.

Quite frankly, as long as we play the way we did in the 'Pinch Me' years, playing attacking football and getting the results, I don't care if Gordon Brown plays in goal and the Pope plays wide right. All we have to do as supporters is support whoever is selected.

He has served the club well, but his time is up now and he genuienly offers no goalscoring threat anymore.

And yet he is towards the top of goalscoring chart and the assist one - despite him playing less games than the other players who figure.

Please, please, please respond to this. :grin:

Fair enough!

Different gravy.

You're relentless criticism of Lidds was embarrassing long ago. Now it's different gravy.

Not only do you only focus on his limitations but you also massively exagerate them.