Celtic Crusaders and Wakefield Game Off.

... was looking forward to this. Strange can't get into the RL forums at present ???

Looked round a few teams forums and mods have closed all topics regarding this

Lots of rumours going round, better to wait for the RFL's statement later. Doesn't sound too good.

The information we have so far is that a young Wakefield player suffered a heart attack in the reserve team game between the Crusaders and Wakefield, and was rushed to hospital, but unfortunately couldn't be saved, and sadly passed away.

His parents are currently travelling to South Wales, but I understand they don't yet know of the tragedy.

I would therefore be grateful if no one would mention the name of the young player until we know that his parents have been informed.

I'm sure that every member of this forum would join with me in sending our sincere condolences to the player's family, and to the Wakefield club.

The club seems to have been beset by tragedy in the last twelve months.

thats the main one going about at the moment, hope its not true

Edited by Tindall

TRAGEDY CAUSES POSTPONEMENT OF MATCH

Leon-Walker-Wakefield_1465785.jpg

Wakefield's engage Super League match against Celtic Crusaders this evening was postponed following the death of one of their reserve players. Leon Walker, 20, who was in his first season with Wakefield, is thought to have suffered a heart attack during the Wildcats reserves' match against their Crusaders counterparts at Maesteg this afternoon. Eye witnesses reported the player going awkwardly into a tackle, getting to his feet and playing the ball before then collapsing.

A real shame...

Read more: >>> LINK <<<

Rugby League player dies in game

A Wakefield rugby league player has died after collapsing during a Sunday reserve team game against Celtic Crusaders at Maesteg.

Leon Walker, 21, collapsed in the 63rd minute and was airlifted to Morriston Hospital, Swansea where he was pronounced dead.

Beeb .......

Walker is the second Wakefield player in the last six months.

Cook Island international Adam Watene, 31, died after collapsing during a training session in October.

The reserve team game at Maesteg kicked off at 1500 GMT and the Super League clash between the two clubs, due to start four hours later, was called off.

Wakefield Chairman Ted Richardson said: "This is a tragic loss for all involved with Rugby League.

"Clearly everybody at the club is devastated by this news and all our sympathies and prayers are with the family at this time."

Nigel Wood, RFL chief executive, said: "This is truly shocking and tragic news and our heartfelt condolences go to the parents, family and friends of Leon as well as the Wakefield Trinity Wildcats club.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with all those involved at this devastating time."

Walker, a second rower or loose forward, signed for Wakefield in November 2008 having spent three years at Salford City Reds where he earned representative honours with Yorkshire and England in 2007.

Before joining Salford Walker played for amateur side Churwell Chiefs

Christ. Brings home just how hard life can be. Could have been us too, we had that youngster who had an undiagnosed heart condition didn't we.

This is very sad, but I'm a firm believer that before signing someone as part of the medical I would do an ECHO (heart scan) to pick up exactly this sort of problem. Cardiomyopathy (enlargment of the muscles of the heart) is probably the cause and if spotted can be treated but usually the sportsperson will end up dying if they keep playing without treatment. Having a big heart can be of benefit (improved cardiovascular ability) but having too big a heart can be fatal and although I don't know any studies which have looked into it I wouldn't mind betting that having it can make your sporting prowess greater.