Which 3 teams will go up from League one?

Guest sheridans_world
Think we will go up this season anyway by whatever means. Leicester and Posh will take top 2 spots which leaves Leeds,Millwall,Scunthorpe and Mkfranchaise.

You cant call MK Dons names, they existed before you.

I'd rather support franchise than dirty, cheating Leeds.

Penny in the pound, bloody farce.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sheridans_world

Oh. P.s.

Elland Road's capacity is 39,460, so even without seats taken out it isnt 40k.

Oh and City's record attendance blows your 57,892 out of the water.

Maine Road had 84,569.

BOSH

Yes they did. If I can be bothered to trail through the bits that mentioned it last season then Ill prove it to you. I actually remember it being mentioned on the O/S and on newsnow. Don't forget we got 39k on more than one occasion last season too especially in the run in.Man City's ground held 35k. We are here for the second season yes, but the players we had won enough games to get promoted. Is it the players fault we were deducted 15 points? The players we had won 91 points. The same 15 pt rule wouldn't have been an option if it happened in the Premier league,however Im not sticking up for Bates/Ridsdale.

Why are you comparing Man City to Leeds anyway? City this and City that? Do you support them or something FFS? :blink: Shouldn't you be defending Oldham.?

Because, as I said, they are an example of the way that a club even in a two club city, perhaps the ultimate two club city in this country when you think about who their local rivals are, can still get better crowds than Leeds, in a one club City, can.

That you won enough games to go up is irrelevant when you consider that you are still here and could still be here next season.

38.5k against Gillingham and against Carlisle. 2k seats have been taken out for various reasons and twice last season we opened the east upper tier.

Also.

We hit over the 29k mark 7 times.

I was being sarcastic saying I was gonna bring Barcelona into the argument but that Corporal fella seems to be bringing Man City into his argument. I have a close mate from Denton who is a massive City fan. There is absolutely no way he would try and defend Oldham

You might have noticed that I've also mentioned Newcastle, Everton, Sunderland and Spurs,too.

What's eating you is that you thought you were coming on for a fight with lickle Oldham, not realising that you'd leave lickle Leeds's prentensions as to being a big club open to scrutiny. Hers another club for you: Sheffield Wednesday, who got 37,000 last season on one occasion, and matched your average in this division, again in a two club city hardly bigger than Leeds. Using these comparisons lickle Leeds should be able to manage about 80,000.

The difference between Sheff Weds and Leeds is that fewer of their fans delude themselves into thinking they're going back to the big time.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

So why did you say you had 40k fans twice last season then??

The very next Leeds fan i see i will certainly ask them about this Mr Boy

I think you are on the wrong site mate cos not many people care (apart from CJ) so ill leave you in his good hands see you next season :grin:

CJ doesn't care either. He just doesn't suffer fools gladly.

By the way, Spainboy, Leeds' avarage attendance in 2007-8 was 26,546 (in a one club city.)

Man City's in 1998-99 was 28,708 (in a two club city.)

Leeds's highest gate last year was, as you say, higher than City's that season, but it seems clear that had Maine Road at the time not been limited to 35,000, their highest would have comfortably surpassed that of Leeds, particularly as they topped 30,000 on a greater number of occasions than Leeds last year, including against Latics.

By the way, Spainboy, Leeds' avarage attendance in 2007-8 was 26,546 (in a one club city.)

Man City's in 1998-99 was 28,708 (in a two club city.)

Leeds's highest gate last year was, as you say, higher than City's that season, but it seems clear that had Maine Road at the time not been limited to 35,000, their highest would have comfortably surpassed that of Leeds, particularly as they topped 30,000 on a greater number of occasions than Leeds last year, including against Latics.

What's all this Man city this and Man City that with you and that Sheridan World bloke. Do you think Man City fans would bring Oldham into their argument???

I very much doubt they would ever give your team a second thought.

Is this the best you can do compare everything Leeds United to Manchester City??? :grin:

You have obviously taken time out to find out what Man City were getting on average 10 years ago. The fact is Leeds got over 38,000 one game last season and Man City never got close to that figure in 1998-99.

Stop talking about Man City.They don't talk about you. Your club is Oldham.Your attendance is around 6k on a good game. That's enough just to fill the lower part of the North East stand at Elland Road.

The worldwide economic crisis isn't going to last forever. I never said some rich arab would buy Leeds united right now, I said there was potential there. Lets not forget that 4 years ago Leeds were 40 million in debt and still had to pay off players from the prem. Last season we made 4.5 million profit, we are pretty much debt free and have nearly bought back thorpe arch training ground. By the end of next year we will own Elland Road again and by the end of 2011 will have built a Hotel and shopping Centre and much improved parking at Elland Road. Leeds City Council have already approved plans and building is pretty much going ahead this year.

So There you go. You can say what you like. Potential is there clearly and will be an attractive buy for some rich dude (Arab,American,Jap or from Timbuktu) in a few years from now when Bates is incapable or dead.

By the time the worldwide economic crisis is over, the Premier League bubble will have likely burst and super-rich Russians, Arabs and Americans will have lost interest in buying British football clubs. Not that there is any guarantee that Leeds will have regained PL status by then anyway. I mentioned Sheffield Wednesday earlier, and it could be fairly said that they are the nearest comparison you can make to Leeds: fallen giants (in their own eyes) who will never fully recover lost ground. Sheffield Wednesday's debts over the past decade or so have amounted to no more than £30 million, but the seriously rich have never been anywhere near them (although that nice Mr Bates had a look.) They've had to scrape along as best they can with other clubs cast-offs. When you consider that SW and LU are similar-size clubs with roughly the same potential, that is likely to be Leeds' future too, I'd guess.

You might be debt free now, but everybody, not least big business, knows that your club didn't pay off its debts itself, and that they were accrued by a reckless gamble on putting the club amongst the genuinely big clubs that backfired horrendously.

Guest sheridans_world
What's all this Man city this and Man City that with you and that Sheridan World bloke. Do you think Man City fans would bring Oldham into their argument???

Is this the best you can do compare everything Leeds United to Manchester City??? :grin:

You have obviously taken time out to find out what Man City were getting on average 10 years ago. The fact is Leeds got over 38,000 one game last season and Man City never got close to that figure in 1998-99.

Stop talking about Man City.They don't talk about you. Your club is Oldham.Your attendance is around 6k on a good game. That's enough just to fill the lower part of the North East stand at Elland Road.

You're the one who started quoting "facts"...

We are just setting you right, proving you are a one football club city with worse attendances that Manchester City...

Oh and that 28000 was the average, its easy enough to find. Largest attendance that season would be hard, considering its ten years ago, but I dont doubt that Maine Road will have had more than 38000 in at one point.

Follow the thread. I've already conceded that over the long-term Latics can't match a big city club like Leeds (although we usually beat you when we're at the same level.)

I've also explained that, in coming on here giving it the big one, you leave your club open to camparison to clubs of a similar size. It's been found wanting.

Leeds are all right when throwing their weight about among minnows, but at their own level they're also-rans.

Spainboy: another internet warrior who's none too bright.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Follow the thread. I've already conceded that over the long-term Latics can't match Leeds (although we usually beat you when we're at the same level.)

I've also explained that, in coming on here giving it the big one, you leave your club open to camparison to clubs of a similar size. It's been found wanting.

Leeds are all right when throwing their weight about among minnows, but at their own level they're also-rans.

Sapinboy: another internet warrior who's none too bright.

You've gone up in my estimation tonight.

Just tonight mind

*shakes hand*

Hey Mart, check out the welcome forum - there's a guy just arrived on from Minnesota.

Thanks, I just did Matt.

"Not only am I a new Oldham supporter, I'm relatively new to football." Wow, is he for real? We don't want another 'dutchfan' debacle on our hands do we? :lol:

You check his IP. Get CJ to check his English (American). If he's pukka (not literally) I'll fire up the NAILS membership forms *... :grin:

* These do not exist (yet)

I'd like to make two points.

1) Dirty Leeds have a fan base far far in excess if the large city in which they are the only team. Asides from Bradford, another large place on their doorstep, they get masses of their support from Uddy, York, Donny, and all the many large and medium sized towns across Yorkshire. They are in effect, the national team of Yorkshire. Sadly, currently two divisions below Hull and Middlesbrough.

2) Whilst banter is banter, I find it utterly unnacceptable for this site to be used to traduce the memory of a man who achieved more in a his time in English football than many dozens of others could hope to achieve combined.

One Peter Ridsdale,

There's only One Peter Ridsdale!

You're the one who started quoting "facts"...

We are just setting you right, proving you are a one football club city with worse attendances that Manchester City...

Oh and that 28000 was the average, its easy enough to find. Largest attendance that season would be hard, considering its ten years ago, but I dont doubt that Maine Road will have had more than 38000 in at one point.

Still on about Man City.

The only time Maine Road had more than 38k was when it was before they put seats in. God knows how long ago that was. Pretty much scraping the barrel there pal.

Leeds is a big city with a smaller ratio of Football fans to Sheffield. Im not going to deny that but at least the majority of Leeds fans who attend Elland Road are actually from Leeds. I very much doubt half of Man Utd fans are from Manchester. They are pure glory supporters. Lets also remember the people in Leeds are big Rugby followers too.Not my scene of course but we do have one very successful rugby team,world champions last year.They carry a very good following.

Im not sure why this topic has drifted towards attendances anyway.

You need to accept that you messed up a good league table position and now the playoffs is beyond you.

I'd like to make two points.

1) Dirty Leeds have a fan base far far in excess if the large city in which they are the only team. Asides from Bradford, another large place on their doorstep, they get masses of their support from Uddy, York, Donny, and all the many large and medium sized towns across Yorkshire. They are in effect, the national team of Yorkshire. Sadly, currently two divisions below Hull and Middlesbrough.

2) Whilst banter is banter, I find it utterly unnacceptable for this site to be used to traduce the memory of a man who achieved more in a his time in English football than many dozens of others could hope to achieve combined.

One Peter Ridsdale,

There's only One Peter Ridsdale!

What lame points!!!!

You have 103,000 with an average of 4,500 to your games.

Probably slightly better than our ratio but we have elite Rugby teams too. You don't. Then again unemployment is higher where you are.

Still on about Man City.

The only time Maine Road had more than 38k was when it was before they put seats in. God knows how long ago that was. Pretty much scraping the barrel there pal.

Leeds is a big city with a smaller ratio of Football fans to Sheffield. Im not going to deny that but at least the majority of Leeds fans who attend Elland Road are actually from Leeds. I very much doubt half of Man Utd fans are from Manchester. They are pure glory supporters. Lets also remember the people in Leeds are big Rugby followers too.Not my scene of course but we do have one very successful rugby team,world champions last year.They carry a very good following.

Im not sure why this topic has drifted towards attendances anyway.

You need to accept that you messed up a good league table position and now the playoffs is beyond you.

City had close on fifty thousand in Maine Road even in the old Second Division for important games in the 1980s. Leeds seldom got that many even when they were First Divison leaders.

The topic drifted towards attendances because you brought up...attendances.

How do you know what the ratio of football fans in Leeds is when compared to Sheffield? Or anywhere else?

What lame points!!!!

Probably slightly better than our ratio but we have elite Rugby teams too. You don't. Then again unemployment is higher where you are.

What's all this 'we,' anyway? I thought you said you were in Barcelona? Clearly the Leeds avaerage attendance is seldom boosted by you.

What lame points!!!!

What, Balham? Probably not. But then despite my distance, I do still see my team play now and again, rather than the absurdity of rating players and managers I have never seen.

I was born in Rochdale as well...