Dissertations

I was lucky, as my degree was a dual major I had to do a 7500 word mini-dissertation. I chose to do the "Effect of the media on British General Elections 1964-1997" - I mainly chose this as by the time I got off my arse to start all that was left in this field in the Library were books from 1964. One major flaw in my plan was that I started doing this in April 1997, less than a month before the 1997 general election. By the time of the election on May 1st I still hadn't finished and spending the night of 1st May drinking and celebrating probably wasn't my greatest idea, after a few hours kip I started to wrap it all up with a tv next to the monitor so I could watch the coverage of Labour taking office.

A second major flaw was including data and analysis from the 1997 election in my dissertation to backup my main points. What this actually clearly showed was that I was still writing the bastard thing right up to the last minute as the deadline for handing it in was 3pm on 2nd May 1997. Despite this I scraped through by the skin of my teeth and got a Desmond which I was really happy with at the time as I had made about 5 journeys to hell and back during my years at uni and gone through some pretty nasty stuff.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote mine on the municipalisation of Oldham's market and market hall. My tutor was very good, the research proposal had to be submitted by April as part of one of the modules I was studying in year two. After the proposal was accepted he proceeded to give me a time table of when to submit draft chapters etc... I didn't have to stick to this but found that it made my life so much easier given the amount of primary source material I had to sift through and the amount of hours I spent at the Oldham Local Studies Library. The most stressful part were the days prior to submission, proof-reading was hell as more and more typos 'appeared' in the end I said 'sod-it' and submitted it two days early, but some of my mates had not entertained it until about February and submission was the middle of March. I was very pleased with the end product and it now takes pride of place in the local studies centre and the uni library.

If ever there was a word worthy of being censored on here "Dissertation" would be it!!

I wrote mine in 2 months 16,000 words, 59% week late not bad.

Can't remember what the exact title of it as its something i've tried to banish from my memory, the biggest ballache was the references at the end.

That's why you do it as go along! Jeeping a running bibliography and provide end notes at the end of each chapter - well that's what I did anyway! :wink:

Reading and planning done, just the small matter of writing and editing 10,000 words in nine days.

Bring on the most depressing week ever...

Easy! Plus, by the time you're done your post season might be all but over and you can concentrate on a nice summer :wink:

I found writing them up the easy bits to be honest (apart from trying to make figures and diagrams look right on the page e.t.c)

Both of mine involved conducting experiments, doing the ethics and dealing with people and their responses was the hard bit for me!

Only a week away from (temporary) freedom, that's the way to look at it!

Easy! Plus, by the time you're done your post season might be all but over and you can concentrate on a nice summer :wink:

I think it's going to be the post-season and the temptation of the late nights which is going to make this tougher!

Only a week away from (temporary) freedom, that's the way to look at it!

I know, I know...gonna get at least three days off before the Finals revision starts. Yay! :unsure::lol:

My dissertation went more smoothly than some, but trying to get the first sentence out for some pieces of work genuinely ranks amongst the worst experiences of my life, and is a fair part of the reason why I didn’t carry on down the academic route – I figured that sooner or later I would end up going mad or topping myself rather than put pen to paper. Unhappy days indeed...

My dissertation went more smoothly than some, but trying to get the first sentence out for some pieces of work genuinely ranks amongst the worst experiences of my life,

As Dr. Frankenstein passed through Oxford in search of a mate for his creation, he pondered, ‘It was here that Charles I had collected his forces...the memory of that unfortunate king, and his companions, the amiable Falkland, the insolent Goring, his queen and son, gave a peculiar interest to every part of the city...’.

That was written some three months ago, it's the rest which has proved a struggle...

As Dr. Frankenstein passed through Oxford in search of a mate for his creation, he pondered, 'It was here that Charles I had collected his forces...the memory of that unfortunate king, and his companions, the amiable Falkland, the insolent Goring, his queen and son, gave a peculiar interest to every part of the city...'.

That was written some three months ago, it's the rest which has proved a struggle...

What in the name of Christ is your dissertation on!?! If I wrote in that style I'd have been kicked out!!

As Dr. Frankenstein passed through Oxford in search of a mate for his creation, he pondered, ‘It was here that Charles I had collected his forces...the memory of that unfortunate king, and his companions, the amiable Falkland, the insolent Goring, his queen and son, gave a peculiar interest to every part of the city...’.

Whatever it is that's helping you get through, if you have any spare, I'll have a bit at Wallsall :wink:

What in the name of Christ is your dissertation on!?! If I wrote in that style I'd have been kicked out!!

Contemporary perceptions of George Goring, 1637-1645. Exciting, I promise.

Whatever it is that's helping you get through, if you have any spare, I'll have a bit at Wallsall :wink:

:lol:

Edited by jsslatic

:D

I hope you are less reckless when covering your tracks usually :jailed:

I did consider whether to reveal this, but couldn't resist after reading the thread. Im fairly confident nobody knows me on here.....and many wouldnt believe me anyway! :lol:

On second thoughts......

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Probably for the best, and anyway I admire your efforts*

*bit jealous at all the debts that my batchelors and masters as well as all the headaches (and missed rave weekends) have so far given me, with more to come

Cheers although I have significant debts too, mainly born out of excessive spare time :wink: Are you aware of the cost of quality drugs these days?

Anyway, best of luck with your studies. I truly admire your work ethic and assure you it will pay off, just always remember that there is more than one way of skinning a cat....and that the most obvious way isn't always the most efficient :wink:

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Cheers although I have significant debts too, mainly born out of excessive spare time :wink: Are you aware of the cost of quality drugs these days?

Anyway, best of luck with your studies. I truly admire your work ethic and assure you it will pay off, just always remember that there is more than one way of skinning a cat....and that the most obvious way isn't always the most efficient :wink:

First Question: Yes!

Second Question: Agree, luckily I also work!

ive been lucky in that my dissertation has gone fairly smoothly and im pretty proud of it. Having said that i only got it back from the printers this morning and so it hasnt been marked yet...it could still all go horribly tits up!

fingers crossed eh...

Mine was well entertaining. Palmed off onto a hospital to analyse data on new operative methods. Great.

Sadly the background reading on transcervical resection of the endometrium and endometrial laser ablation as conservative alternatives to hysterectomy wasn't quite why I went into Statistics*. Giving the presentation of this work was not very easy (in a schoolboyish guffawing manner) either.

*I wanted to measure young ladies boobies for the 'Statistics' section in The Sun. Sadly this course was Vital Statistics 1.1, which I missed through drink.